Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Body construction questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
type11969
Can someone explain to me how the various pieces of sheet metal come together in the hell hole region? The engine shelf is on top, but it seems like I am cutting through 2 pieces of metal in some places, then 1 piece of metal in others.

Are the housings for the engine mounts more than spot welded in from the factory where they mount to the longitudinal? On each of my engine mount housings, there are 3 weld beads running up the side. I thought the 914 was spot welded together . . .

Finally, question about factory seam sealer. On both sides of the engine compartment, up in the front corners right under the sails, on my car it looks like whoever applied the seam sealer used a brush 2 times too big, used 2 times too much seam sealer, and had 2 times too much to drink. Do 914s come this way from the factory?

-Chris
URY914
QUOTE(type11969 @ Nov 9 2004, 05:42 PM)

Finally, question about factory seam sealer. On both sides of the engine compartment, up in the front corners right under the sails, on my car it looks like whoever applied the seam sealer used a brush 2 times too big, used 2 times too much seam sealer, and had 2 times too much to drink. Do 914s come this way from the factory?

-Chris

This is just a dumb guess but I be I have spent about 15% of my time removing seam sealer as I have sheet metal on my car.

I think they paid the ss worker by the pound to slap that crap on. It is everywhere.

Paul
Brad Roberts
Why does this thread feel like "Deja Vu" ?? I swear I have seen the same answers from both of the posters above me when someone has asked this question in the past.

B
type11969
Thanks for the link to that thread, I forgot about that one. I still couldn't tell from his pictures exactly how everything comes together. So if anyone can clarify, I would appreciate it. Here is a pic of the seam sealer glopped in the corner, is this normal?
URY914
Yep, looks like my car did.
type11969
Oh yeah, and this is strange, there is this buldge around where the cables pass from the cabin to the engine compartment, this isn't normal, right?

A PO liked to use stick welding to solve all his problems, perhaps this is just a big goober of weld? I've hacked at it, definitely is metal. Is it difficult to cut out and replace this area?
SpecialK
huh.gif

Oh no Brad....it's happening agian!

Michelko, a member in Germany, did a VERY thorough job restoring his hell hole and longs, and took tons of excellent pictures during the process.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...16748&hl=strong

Check it out!

Kevin
type11969
Okay, so gratuitous seam sealer is normal. Last pic, thought it was kind of neat, looking down the length of my longitudinal. Looks okay, excluding the fact that there is a hole large enough to pass my camera through from top to bottom. The rusty metal to the right in the pic passed the screwdriver test.
SpecialK
Looking at that last pic reminds me that even if the rest of my long (the exception being the seatbelt attach area) seems solid, there's still a bunch of rust just waiting to rear it's ugly head in the future. I'm contemplating taking my pump bug sprayer with a wide angle nozzle, filling it with a gallon of Ospho that I just purchased, and douching (sp?) the hell out of both sides. Anyone tried this? Any unforseen problems?

Hijack complete......resume original thread wink.gif

Kevin
ChrisFoley
I have some pics of a hell hole cut wide open which may help explain how all the pieces come together.

And, yes, the seam sealer was put on by the pound.
ChrisFoley
next
ChrisFoley
The longitudinals are made of many pieces. In the hell hole area there are 2 layers for both inner and outer halves. The inner layers have some ribs and stuff stamped into them.
ChrisFoley
Chris,
Your clutch tube area is obviously repaired. It looks smooth from the factory in that area, and the tubes are brazed in the panel.
The seam (mig) welds you see on the engine mount bracket are from the factory. There were a few locations where they did this.
type11969
Cool, thanks for the help, those pictures help out a lot!

-Chris
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.