Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Am I about to get e-Screwed on E-Bay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Sparky
Ok so check out my car and the bid history:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...8&category=6430

In the last 3 bids it jumps from 1000 to 2563. The current leading bidder is located in Austria?! Come on I know a recent article in either Pano or Excellence said the 914 was beginning to become as collectible as the 356 but give me a break. Is this just someone jerking my hain? Is it someone here on the list? Anyone seen this bidder before?

Thanks!
Mike D.
redshift
And in the end they have a bank check from... any guesses?

Toast?

M
ejm
The current leading bidder is located in Austria?!

Good thing you didn't offer free shipping laugh.gif
Gint
QUOTE(Sparky Posted on Nov 9 2004 @ 07:07 PM)
In the last 3 bids it jumps from 1000 to 2563. The current leading bidder is located in Austria?! Come on I know a recent article in either Pano or Excellence said the 914 was beginning to become as collectible as the 356 but give me a break. Is this just someone jerking my hain? Is it someone here on the list? Anyone seen this bidder before?

I wouldn't even worry about that until the auction is closer to done. He may not even win and all of your worry will be for naught. In the end, he could be the best buyer you'll ever see.
DuckRyder
8 FEEDBACK FROM THE SAME PERSON BOTH AS A BUYER AND A SELLER.

Doesn't pass the smell test.
Sparky
Well let's wait and see what happens there is still a full day of bidding left. I just found it odd while reviewing his feedback that it was from the same seller over and over again.
Gint

I noticed that AFTER I posted here. Hhhhmmmm....... idea.gif
seanery
you can cancel his bid.

Send him an email asking if he serious, yada, yada, yada, then decide if you want to cancel his bid. Tell him you'll cancel if he doesn't respond by xxxx
Randal
Can't you just specify "wire transfer" of funds to your bank account and eliminate payment issues?
Sparky
Randal,

That would require me supplying someone over seas my bank account numbers. Nope sorry no way no how! I work in the banking industry and know better. Here's a copy of teh email I just sent him:

You are the current high bidder on the 914 I have listed on EBay. I realize that there is a day left on the auction however, I also noticed that your location is in Austria. What shipping arrangements were you planning on making? As the auction states the shipping and pickup of the vehicle is the responsibility of the buyer. Your prompt response is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
~Mike

Let's see what he has for a response....

My best,
Mike D.
redshift
Who deleted my Nigerian reply?

Toast got run through this version of it as well..

I'm serious, who ever you are, you are an EFFING idiot.

Miles
newdeal2
I have a better question...why was your reserve so low? If I lived up north I'd buy it in a second.
Lou W
DuckRyder Posted on Nov 9 2004, 06:32 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doesn't pass the smell test.
I took a look at that too, pretty strange. huh.gif
neo914-6
His feedback only counts as one with the same seller/buyer. It was alot of model trains so understandable. Someone on this board just sold his 914 to a guy in Netherlands or? Good communication is the key to a successful transaction...For a car purchase across the ocean, he should be contacting you via phone if serious. He must be very new to eBay so give him the benefit of the doubt.
Felix
Gustl
Hey, I'm from Austria too, so I've just sent him an eMail with questions how he'd arrange shipping and so ...
told him I was interested in re-importing a 914 too and if he could tell me the best way rolleyes.gif
as far as I get the answer, I'll post it here

So long,
Gustl
East coaster
He bid on my car too, but was outbid by others. Good luck with your sale!
Sparky
I've had a couple of bad EBAy transactions lately and have been soured by the whole experience. Mainly as a buyer so I'm a little gun shy.

Miles, No I'm not an EFFING IDIOT!! Just cautious. I still believe that there are decent people out there and though I have had a couple of bad E-Screws I still give this guy the benefit of the doubt. I mean just look at this board Hell I'd let all of you err most of you, umm some of you, well a couple of you come over and hang in my house. But none of you get to touch my guitars!!

Besides I wouldn't be in this mess if one of you cheap ba$tards had stepped up when I offered it here on the list for sale. I mean come on, an original Cali car here on the East Coast that gets driven atleast 3-4 hours every weekend.

Gustl, thanks for sending the email. I'm really intrested to hear what his response is.

Ok now for my coffe and to figure out where the summer went!

My best to all!!
Mike D.
rhodyguy
it could be legit. potentially, a clean tub that is a driver, bought and shipped to austria for $4k or so would seem to be pretty reasonable.

kevin
Hi_Fi_Guy
I sold my BMW R1200-C to a gentleman in New Zealand. He owned NZ's largest AirConditioning co. and had a cache of motorcycles in various countries to enjoy when he was on business trips. He bought my bike specifically for Daytona Bike week.

When I first heard his story I thought, "Bull$hit!" but the wire transfer came through along with some documents he faxed me and it was all legit. I didn't even have to crate the thing, he made arrangements with one of teh BMW Motorcycle dealers in town to save a crate that had come in, crate my bike, and ship it.

If you are worried, contact him before the end of the auction.

Good luck, hope he is legit.
boxstr
I would communicate with bidders, let "THEM"know your concerns and see if it works out that they are high bidder, if auction ends and they walk away go to number 2 bidder and offer to them.
CCLINMYWAYOREBAY
DBCooper
Easy enough to open a new bank account, use it only for this transaction, and close it afterwards. No risk. Once the money's arrived (via wire transfer) remove it and, if everything's still in order, ship the car.
Root_Werks
Good luck MikeD, I hope it works out for you.
Porsche Rescue
I sold a 911 on Ebay to an Austrian. I had the same concerns when he became the leading bidder early in the auction. Sent essentially the same questions to him as recommended above. He said he would wire the funds and was responsible for the shipping. He won the auction, $1800 over my reserve. The money was wired to my bank 4 days later. Far safer than a cashier's check. I sent the title to a shipping co. in LA (calship.com) after I received the money. The car will be picked up tomorrow. Seems to me he took all the risk.
The car will be trucked 1000 miles to LA, loaded into a container and shipped to Germany. I believe the cost is about $1500. The current euro/dollar exchange rates make our cars a bargain in Europe. Only downside was that I received $30 less than his bid because the dollar increased in value over the 4 days it took for the funds to reach my account. I did not complain!
EdwardBlume
So now he'll send you an official check for $10,000 more than you are asking....... Hopefully it does work out for you. Let us know. wink.gif
neo914-6
Mike,
What happened with your auction?
Felix
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.