Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: quick tip for searches
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mightyohm
It took me about a year to notice that the default for searches (under Refine Search/Search posts from..) is "Last 30 days". You won't find shiznit searching that way. A lot of the good posts are at least a few months back in the archives. I always set mine to "Any date" and it helps a lot! I wish the default was set to "Any Date", that would be nice... idea.gif
Gint
Searches use a lot of system resources. By leaving up to the user and not defaulting every search to "any date", we minimize that "drag".
Rhodes71/914
I always use "any date" unless I know what i am looking for was more recent, and I still think the search function doesn't work as well as it should.
Jenny
I found out recently using "and" helps a lot when doing searches. That's my reason for being search-challenged. I always knew about the date option.

The important thing is what we've learned today: It's much easier to post a question redundantly than to search for it in archive. biggrin.gif

Jen
mightyohm
QUOTE(Jenny @ Nov 10 2004, 11:01 AM)
I found out recently using "and" helps a lot when doing searches. That's my reason for being search-challenged. I always knew about the date option.

The important thing is what we've learned today: It's much easier to post a question redundantly than to search for it in archive. biggrin.gif

Jen

agree.gif Using "and" between search terms helps a lot. I always use it.
mightyohm
QUOTE(Gint @ Nov 9 2004, 06:48 PM)
Searches use a lot of system resources. By leaving up to the user and not defaulting every search to "any date", we minimize that "drag".

That's what I figured Gint. Too bad it makes people like me do a minimum of two searches every time since I always forget to set the option. confused24.gif
anthony
Is the search function documented somewhere? I never knew you could use boolan operators. Is there any special syntax?
Gint
anthony   Posted on Nov 10 2004, 01:03 PM

Smack under the "Search Keyword" field:

Simple Search: Enter a keyword or phrase to search by
Advanced Search: Join keywords with AND, OR to help define the search.

wavey.gif flag.gif beer3.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.