Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Safely in South Carolina...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
Lew's '73 2.0 was delivered last night at the local Walmart. Not the most elegant of places; however, it has a big parking lot.

Since it was dark, I waited until this morning to give the car a bath. My oldest son and I took the car for a 34 mile drive and I am happy to announce the cars runs great. According to receipts it's a 2056 and it certainly feels more powerful than my other 2.0L's.

The only issue I have is that the brakes feel VERY weak compared to my other 914's. Since the calipers are recent rebuilds from Eric I will try bleeding them to see if that helps. If not, I guess a new MC will be next.

Anyway, I am pleased with the car and it sure is nice having a FI 914 in the stable!

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
flash914
Check for floorboard flex. The pedal assy. may be pushing away from you as you step on the brakes. I think McMark put a you tube video up and showed a brace which I am thinking of building. Gordon driving.gif
JawjaPorsche
That is a nice looking teener! beerchug.gif
SUNAB914
smilie_pokal.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(flash914 @ Jan 5 2013, 02:58 PM) *

Check for floorboard flex. The pedal assy. may be pushing away from you as you step on the brakes. I think McMark put a you tube video up and showed a brace which I am thinking of building. Gordon driving.gif

I'll check that. It really just feels more like weak brakes; but, it's worth looking at!
Tom_T
Congratz! first.gif

Try Porterfield brake pads from Eric too, whenever next due.

http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item...563/6732646.htm

http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item...563/6732655.htm

Those & Eric's caliper resto services are definitely on my list for my 73 2L's resto - but closer to time to put on the road, & I already have new OEM rubber lines, ATE MC, Zimmerman disks F & R, & E-brake cables, misc hardware, etc. in the stash!
billh1963
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 5 2013, 05:53 PM) *

Congratz! first.gif

Try Porterfield brake pads from Eric too, whenever next due.

http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item...563/6732646.htm

http://www.pmbperformance.com/catalog/item...563/6732655.htm

Those & Eric's caliper resto services are definitely on my list for my 73 2L's resto - but closer to time to put on the road, & I already have new OEM rubber lines, ATE MC, Zimmerman disks F & R, & E-brake cables, misc hardware, etc. in the stash!

The calipers are rebuilt one's from Eric....I need to see if the receipt has the brake pad type shown
vitaminC
I'm not a huge fan of silver, but that's a beauty! Congrats thumb3d.gif
stepuptotheMike
love the silver...she's a beauty. Where in S.C. Are you guys?
billh1963
QUOTE(stepuptotheMike @ Jan 5 2013, 06:17 PM) *

love the silver...she's a beauty. Where in S.C. Are you guys?

I am outside of Columbia (Orangeburg)
'73-914kid
When I was going through receipts, it had said rebuild calipers from PMB and Porterfield R4-S pads. I did notice as well that the brake felt a little weak, but I had just thought that's what a 17mm MC felt like..haha I've only ever had a 19mm MC in my car.

I'm glad it made it out to you safe and sound Bill! It most certainly is a nice running and driving 914. I'm glad it made it into your hands. You'll make a good steward of Lew's old car.

Now get out and keep driving that thing! biggrin.gif
billh1963
QUOTE('73-914kid @ Jan 5 2013, 07:48 PM) *

When I was going through receipts, it had said rebuild calipers from PMB and Porterfield R4-S pads. I did notice as well that the brake felt a little weak, but I had just thought that's what a 17mm MC felt like..haha I've only ever had a 19mm MC in my car.

I'm glad it made it out to you safe and sound Bill! It most certainly is a nice running and driving 914. I'm glad it made it into your hands. You'll make a good steward of Lew's old car.

Now get out and keep driving that thing! biggrin.gif

You get a great job changing the oil sensor and fixing the oil leak..no issues on the drive today!

I have one car with a 19mm and two with 17mm MC's. It's not a 17 vs. 19 issue....it's something else!
wingnut86
Nice ride evilgrin.gif
DRPHIL914
smilie_pokal.gif

Sweet!
Can't wait to go see it!
euro911
Beautiful car smile.gif

Try power bleeding the brake system.
billh1963
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 6 2013, 05:11 AM) *

Beautiful car smile.gif

Try power bleeding the brake system.

I've got one for my TR6..... I'll try that later today
carguy914
Very Nice Bill!

Reminds me of my first silver 72

You need to drive that over to Charleston!! driving.gif

beerchug.gif
RON S.

Beautiful looking Car Bill....

Looks like you are right in my backyard too. biggrin.gif

carr914
Sweet
76-914
I didn't "get on" the brakes so I missed that one but I think I would have remembered if it had air in it. I don't know who installed his brakes but I'll bet he and Al did it. I wonder if they burned them in. Look at Eric Shea's video of "How to" brake in your new pads. You don't have "pedal flexing" unless that area is cracked because I KNOW it's not rust. biggrin.gif

Genießen Sie das Auto
bcheney
A real classic! That car is so cool smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.