Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914/6 rusto "while I'm in there" question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gint
I've got about a week left (if that) to get any other metal work done before paint starts getting laid down.

What would you guys have done prior to paint? In the way of welding and metal work that is. The stuff that you don't want to have to go in and redo after paint.

New pics coming in my rusto thread in a few...
Eric_Shea
Tie-in bar to front suspension points.

All "viable" chassis stiffening pieces.

Mounts for rear suspension ear tie-in's (to firewall).

A-pillar reinforcements (see Jon Lowe's site).

blink.gif running out of ideas...
seanery
factory flares biggrin.gif
Gint
Tie-in bar to front suspension points.

All "viable" chassis stiffening pieces.

Mounts for rear suspension ear tie-in's (to firewall).

I thought about most of those, but this thing won't see the track much aside from a couple od DE's a season at the most.

A-pillar reinforcements (see Jon Lowe's site).

That one I'm not sure I 'm aware of. Got a link?
Eric_Shea
Collier GT with Trim Off

This was an extremely lucky shot! Before the car got its trim for the windshield post, I got this photo of the welded in reinforcement. Early GTs had a habit of breaking windshields before addtional bracing was put in.

My A-Pillars were cracked on my 911 from extensive autocrossing and DE events. I'd say these are the same.
krk
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Nov 9 2004, 09:27 PM)
Collier GT with Trim Off

This was an extremely lucky shot! Before the car got its trim for the windshield post, I got this photo of the welded in reinforcement. Early GTs had a habit of breaking windshields before addtional bracing was put in.

My A-Pillars were cracked on my 911 from extensive autocrossing and DE events. I'd say these are the same.

Ok, so that's just another reason why Jon's site rocks. He's shot tons of pics of all manner of obscurantics. Where else would we find these sorts of dull-to-the-unsuspecting bits????

Oh wait -- Gint? is that you? really? You've been gone longer than Brad! laugh.gif

Kidding of course -- hope things are well! Look forward to progress pics smile.gif

kim.
Gint
QUOTE(krk Posted on Nov 9 2004 @ 09:34 PM)
Oh wait -- Gint? is that you? really? You've been gone longer than Brad!

Yeah, yeah.... I've had to put in a good deal of "extra effort" at work. It's dog-eat-dog... And with my wife's pending layoff, I gotta stay on top of the heap. You know?

Gotta be more opinions out there. Whaddyagot?
Eric_Shea
I just went and looked at your scraggly-ass tub. biggrin.gif Based on your
this thing won't see the track much aside from a couple od DE's a season at the most.
comment, I think you're about done.

HOWEVER, opinions being what they are...

If you DO plan a couple DE events per year I would "seriously" conside the A-pillar fix and the various "viable" bits-and-pieces associated with the standard chassis stiffening kits. It really doesn't take long to create a stress fracture on an A-pillar. While 911's were rumoured to be a stiffer tub, mine were almost cracked through. Two years from now you won't want to see cracks in your new paint.

My $0.02 blink.gif
Rusty
Weld up the turn signal holes. blink.gif
seanery
agree.gif with rusty
Gint
QUOTE(Lawrence Posted on Nov 10 2004 @ 01:59 PM)
Weld up the turn signal holes.

Already done.

QUOTE(Eric_Shea Posted on Nov 10 2004 @ 12:28 PM)
I just went and looked at your scraggly-ass tub. Based on your

this thing won't see the track much aside from a couple od DE's a season at the most.

comment, I think you're about done.

HOWEVER, opinions being what they are...

I'm not convinced. I'll call ya later anyway.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.