Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Windshield VIN tag replacemnt
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Cap'n Krusty
Anybody here have any BTDTs for getting a new VIN tag for an original 6? Gotta car w/o one, and dunno where to begin.
Suppositions, speculation, WAGs, and the like might sound good to you, but they count negative points with The Cap'n in his big book of good guys and baddies .......... We're looking for the real way to do it! TIA, The Cap'n
Gint
Crabby ole goat. I *think* you oughta use a Pepsi can and a hand punch.

tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif

Or one of those electric hand engravers.
Cap'n Krusty
"No Pepsi, Coke........................" The Cap'n
Gint
On that we can definitely agree.
spare time toys
If you want to have fun give it that number that someone thinks is his car that an unknown person stole blink.gif rolleyes.gif
nickg
not all 914's have the serial plate on the post. european spec cars did not have that. i know my 914-6 does not have a post serail, but it has the serila plate on the inner fender and the passenger headlight bucket
davep
The best I can offer is: tell the owner it is a euro spec model, and it didn't come with one. Getting a decal made is tough enough and you have to go through PCNA. Getting a stamped tag is going to be even tougher. I did see one GT (one of the Meaney cars) that had been rebodied with a 914/4 chassis that had the VIN tag on the windshield pillar where the original tag had been covered with a "Dymo" label of the original 914/6 VIN. Note that the 914/4 tags are raised letters, where the 914/6 tags are recessed letters.
boxstr
Speed Channel had a show called Car Search, now repeats. They had a drag car that had no VIN tag. A Dodge or ??. Anyway they called CHP and they made an appointment to take the car to a designated CHP facility, seems like it was an all day process. The car was completely reserached by the CHP and finally given a VIN tag.
CCLINVINCHP???
Cap'n Krusty
I have the vin tag in the trunk, I have the door sticker, I just wanna get the window tag ........... Shouldn't need to get the CHP involved. The car's even registered. The Cap'n
914werke
Creating the alum "tag" wouldnt be that hard but Finding the funky german # punches may be danm difficult sad.gif
You could prolly fudge the Astrisk (*) but if you notice the 4 & 7s uses are pretty specific from what is available at your corner harbor frieght tools.
Is a set of these still available somewhere?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Nov 10 2004, 12:03 PM)
Shouldn't need to get the CHP involved. The car's even registered.

i would think CHP and/or DMV is the way to go ...

the factory had nothing to do with the windshield-pillar VIN tag's, there are no VIN tags in germany.
that was a "federalization" thing, so probably DMV or CHP is your best bet ...

cool.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(spare time toys @ Nov 9 2004, 08:22 PM)
If you want to have fun give it that number that someone thinks is his car that an unknown person stole blink.gif  :rolleyes:

that car never had a VIN tag ...

wink.gif Andy
914werke
the factory had nothing to do with the windshield-pillar VIN tag's, there are no VIN tags in germany.

So Andy your suggesting that the cars were imported sans glass then all tags and stickers were applied states-side? unsure.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ Nov 10 2004, 03:47 PM)
So Andy your suggesting that the cars were imported sans glass then all tags and stickers were applied states-side? unsure.gif

huh? mine is pop-rivetet on the a-pillar ...

take the plastic molding off and you can see the rivets.
no need to mess with the glass ...

wink.gif Andy
Mike D.
I'd go with the Euro Car explanation

I had a 280z stolen several years ago and the thief popped the vin off the dash and put a fake one on. I ended up at the CHP/DMV, whatever, referee office and the guy there took the fake one off, made a new one, and pop rivetted it to the door jam! <_<

-Mike D.
Slowpoke
If you want a new vin tag you need to go to a DMV in the state you reside in, with a good reason to get it (ie lost, damaged, stolen etc). They will make up a state assigned number, that will resemble the number on the motorcycle trailer I made, if you live is AZ. I know (at least in AZ) you can"t just tell them you want a new vin number if there's already one on the car that is legit. If you want a reproduced vin tag to match the numbers of the other tags on your car, there is no way to legally do that. I 've taken a badly stamped tag off my motorcycle (Norton Combat Cammando) and bought a new one from Norton and had it engraved, to make it look better, but I kept my old one. Motorcycle restorer people do this all the time. That's why they sell blank vin tags in the bike world. In the Porsche world you will be labeled as some kind of a fraud at best and Brad would be mad at you, wacko.gif
anthony
If it's not a euro car then why not just make one and then rivet it on?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.