Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carpet kit fits
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kenrinc
Hi all,

Just got my carpet kit from 914rubber. Kit fit nice. One glaring issue is the center section that goes over the shift mechanism. There seems to be no allotment for the heater control. Car is a 72 but I'm putting in a later interior. I searched around and found some excellent posts none of which show that particular area! LOL Any help appreciated.

Pic attached. Heater control is under the piece in question.

Ken-

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
Some carpet kits (even some Porsche OEM ones) require the installer to mark & cut/slit for the heater lever & heater on/off light box.

Tips -

Measure & check/recheck 2-3 x then cut, & after you do your cutting -

Then take some clear Silicone weather or bath sealant on the edges of the loose threads/pile to seal it & prevent fraying, by making a sort of custom gussett around the edges (clear shouldn't show up topside if you're careful). Keep it on the back side though & out of sight from the top loop side. It will need to cure per the tube's instructions (24-48 hrs IIRC) before finally placing it.

PS - IIRC you should have a bit of the black vinyl leatherette over that center part of the cross-member too, rather than stopping L & R.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
mittelmotor
The carpet looks nice!
tod914
Your vinyl is correct for your cross bar piece. Your missing the two pieces that are perpendicular to them where the inward seat belts bolt through. Very nice carpet btw. When I did mine, I put the level in it's center most possition. Then I cut a slice/hole just big enough for it to come through. Lastly cut it's foward range & rearward range. The slice is about a 1/4" wide on the old oem piece, and is very slightly angled. You can also cut out a paper templete from your carpet and determine the correct cut using that. Minimizes any chance of mistakes. Great suggestion by Tom to use sealant to keep it from splitting.
kenrinc
Thanks guys. I couldn't remember if the vinyl on that bar went all the way across or was pieced. I looked at the originals and used them as templates to cut the new pieces so they did not go completely across; their was a bare spot in the middle. I have 2 other pieces of vinyl that I could not figure out where the hell they went. It could be they came from that seat belt position. Still can't figure it out from your description Tod. I'll have to look at that further.

Ken
tod914
Here you go Ken. Should give you an idea on how they are placed.

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.