Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Garage Find
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jonboy66vegas
Click to view attachmentWell hello, i am a new member to the site and figured why not share some.

I am proud owner of now 2 914's, both are 1973 with 1 being a 1.7 and the other a 2.0.

The 1.7 i picked up from the back of a freinds car lot, he took it in as security for someone who owed him money. After sitting for 3 years he finally sold it to me. I have always been an aircooled VW guy but this was my first Porsche so pretty stoked. Well the car had wiring issues so got those sorted out, just had engine and trans rebuilt and sealed this summer, still running the factory FI system and love it, has header with no heater parts and custom exhaust completed to make it sound great. Has after market 2 liter wheels but just picked up a set of factory wheels to restore and put on it. The body is preety solid with usual rust areas that i am working on, along with a new carpet kit soon. this car is smogged and a daily driver year round and Love It!

The 2.0 i just picked up and is an amazing find. I purchased from original owner and have original Title issued in 1973. The odometer reads 28000 and change and these are possibly the original miles since the car has been in the garage since the early 80's. the car has some usual rust but is amazingly so clean other wise. the body is so straight, just needs some cleaning and update on the paint. being in the garage and used as a storage until has worn the paint pretty well. now the interior looks as if just rolled of the showroom. the desert heat has cracked the dash in 1 spot but otherwise flawless. The original owner who is now 79 years old came out and gave me history on the car and said it ran beautiful until he shorted the condensor and after that would not start. The car even has the original Michilin 165R15 tires on it. the owner described the car as a parts car but there is no way i can part this out, it is going to be brought back to life.
silver74insocal
welcome.png great find and welcome to the madness. dont let your friends find out you have a narp addiction beerchug.gif
Mike Bellis
welcome.png
billh1963
Nice finds! Congratulations on such nice cars!
carr914
welcome.png
JawjaPorsche
Nice Scores! Two! Wow!
welcome.png
Gint
welcome.png You're going to be busy for a while.
aharder
welcome.png
dlkawashima
welcome.png

Very interested to read about and see more pix of the 2-liter. What is the build date on that car? Did the owner give you the original window sticker?
NORD

welcome.png

Couple of nice cars.
Tom_T
smilie_pokal.gif two nice finds!

welcome.png
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 6 2013, 04:42 PM) *

smilie_pokal.gif two nice finds!

welcome.png

sweet man! way to go! welcome.png
tracks914
Just SICK. Good for you. Great find. piratenanner.gif
Never find those in Northern Canada.
welcome.png
bigkensteele
welcome.png

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing how it comes along.
jonboy66vegas
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Jan 6 2013, 11:01 AM) *

welcome.png

Very interested to read about and see more pix of the 2-liter. What is the build date on that car? Did the owner give you the original window sticker?

Build date is 7/73 and no originlal window sticker but i do have the original title issued in Sept 73.
cwpeden
I know this may seem like a stupid question but: which one is the 2.0L?

Its just that niether shows the signs of a 73 2.0L. Unless one is a transplant?
jonboy66vegas
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Jan 7 2013, 08:37 PM) *

I know this may seem like a stupid question buy: which one is the 2.0L?

Its just that niether shows the signs of a 73 2.0L. Unless one is a transplant?

The white is 73 1.7

The yellow is 73 2.0
cwpeden
See the reason I ask is 73 2.0L had the appearance group. Chrome bumpers, fog lights, sail panel trim, Fuchs etc...

PS welcome.png
jonboy66vegas
QUOTE(cwpeden @ Jan 7 2013, 08:49 PM) *

See the reason I ask is 73 2.0L had the appearance group. Chrome bumpers, fog lights, sail panel trim, Fuchs etc...

PS welcome.png

Not sure what to say, the 79 year old guy i purchsed from stated it was just as he had it delivered, so with that i guess he wanted the engine with out the appearance upgrade i suppose.
jonboy66vegas
QUOTE(jonboy66vegas @ Jan 7 2013, 08:53 PM) *

PS welcome.png

Not sure what to say, the 79 year old guy i purchsed from stated it was just as he had it delivered, so with that i guess he wanted the engine with out the appearance upgrade i suppose.

My vin is in the last 250 made that model year.
dlkawashima

PS welcome.png

If you look on Jeff Bowlsby's Classic 914 site, he has a page that shows all the different models of 914 produced through the years:

http://bowlsby.net/914/Classic/ModelNumbers.htm

Look closely at the 1973 model year, you'll see that there were 2-liter models produced that did not come standard with the Appearance & Performance Groups.

I think the yellow car is one of the Sport Group models, produced late in the '73 model year.
cwpeden
QUOTE(jonboy66vegas @ Jan 7 2013, 09:04 PM) *

QUOTE(jonboy66vegas @ Jan 7 2013, 08:53 PM) *

PS welcome.png

My vin is in the last 250 made that model year.

See, there is always an exception to the rule. Totally forgot that. My bad. slap.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.