Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: PCA Club Racing 914 Racers out there
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
naro914
I know a lot of you on this board are from the left coast so I'll probably never see you at the track, but I'm curious what some of your plans are for the upcoming racing season? Would be nice to see more 914's to race with....

My "Plan":
Roebling Road - First of March
MAYBE Road Atlanta - End of March
MAYBE Watkins Glen - Memorial Weekend ?
VIR - Late June
Mid Ohio - Early July
Summit Point - Late Sept
CMP - Late Oct

Plus doing an open track day in a couple weeks at CMP, HPDE’s at VIR, 2 or 3 at CMP, Road Atlanta, Barber and Summit next year – Nadine (and I) need more track time.

wndsrfr
QUOTE(naro914 @ Jan 6 2013, 06:56 PM) *

Plus doing an open track day in a couple weeks at CMP, HPDE’s at VIR, 2 or 3 at CMP, Road Atlanta, Barber and Summit next year – Nadine (and I) need more track time.

I'm ready for some DE action with the new crank in.....usually start the season at VIR in march but am wanting something a bit sooner. Would like to hit CMP or RR in Feb....
Keep your plans posted...would like to see you on track.
tscrihfield
Our region is hosting Putnam park in August. We moved it from July because MO. We have 4 914s typically. All in GT5 with 1 GT4 that adds weight for GT5....

Thomas
ned911
In the process of readying my wife's '74 for DE then vintage racing. Probably do some PCA Club Racing as well in GT6. PCA really screws the vintage cars over and my efforts to get a vintage class has fallen short. They have even created a Spec 911 but that excludes long hood cars.
brant
I agree with Ned
PCA really screws older cars over badly.
I guess that is why there are literally a hundred different vintage racing clubs out there....

you practically need a watercooled car to play on fair ground in PCA
I did it with a 914 for 10 years before I got fed up with them and went vintage

Its a blast to play with similar technology to our cars
we will never beat out modern technology
Racing916
Lime Rock Club Race April maybe??
Watkins Glen Club Race - Memorial Day Weekend
Schattenbaum Showdown-NJMP August
Summit Point Club Race- October

Can't wait to see what 100 extra hp does for my times this year.

Steve
stuttgart46
Ned, we have a vintage class for our races at MSR Houston. There are not very many cars running in it at this time but it's growing. It provides an inexpensive track day.
I am building a 914/6GT right now that will be run in Texas as much as possible but it will be an HSR car. I am hoping that HSR visits COTA soon.
brant
svra has a COTA date in october
and cvar is trying to get in on it too...

I hope to be at a COTA event this fall... we will see
ned911
Are we 100% sure SVRA has a date? I've heard of a PCA date in May as well.

Stutt- Right now there are no HSR races in Texas.

I did renew my PCA license this year and will probably run a race or two. CVAR car counts have dropped so they are creating Group 8 for 3.5+ liter normally aspirated cars. Cup Cars, vintage stock cars, IMSA GT, etc.

To make room on the schedule they are sacking Group 7 which is full of 911's and 914/6's in CP. The CP's will move to G1 with the Mustangs and Vette's. At TWS this will be interesting, in the past the american iron rips the CP's on the big straights then block through the tight turns. If you are lucky enough to get past it only lasts for half a lap. The G1 folks already hate the RSR's, now add a few 914's and a couple of Lotus's buzzing around - gonna get interesting.

There are a couple of groups with less than 10 cars but they stay put and they sacrifice the largest group.

stuttgart46
I understand. I lived in Florida for several years and I plan on keeping the car on the East Coast from Sebring to the Mitty after I get it sorted. I love HSR weekends.
Thanks for the heads up Brant. That may be a good goal to have my car finished by.
brant
QUOTE(ned911 @ Jan 9 2013, 11:54 AM) *

Are we 100% sure SVRA has a date? I've heard of a PCA date in May as well.

thats what I'm hearing...
SVRA and SCCA are supposed to be for certain.
but I have NOT heard any confirmation about PCA in the rumor mill.
its not on the PCA 2013 schedule yet if there is one

I don't know how hard it will be to get accepted with the SVRA event..
(but I'm going to try)
I'm not too far outside of their rules for the 2liter challenge.

I imagine its extremely expensive too...
it could be a $700-800 race entry fee ?
although I hope it is more in the $500-600 range.
the track rental fees are almost two and a half times that of TWS

anyone have any tips or idea's about past experience with SVRA accepting VMC members?

brant
ned911
TWS is $40,000 a weekend. COTA is $50,000 a DAY!!!!

The thinking around here is that CVAR members will get into the SVRA just to make sure there are cars. When I look at the SVRA information I can't figure out where my 2.4 911 would fit.
brant
QUOTE(ned911 @ Jan 9 2013, 04:21 PM) *

TWS is $40,000 a weekend. COTA is $50,000 a DAY!!!!

yep.... two and a half times the track rental fee
Woody
Did a tech inspect today at work. Apparently this cost in the neighborhood of $350 a day. I am very jealous.

Click to view attachment
ned911
At our region meeting on Wedneday COTA is a topic on the agenda. Will report back what was said.

We also got a new Cars and Coffee location for this Sunday but the weather may keep people away.
ThePaintedMan
Not PCA related but I'm planning on running the September Chumpcar race. 14 hours of madness - we'll need all the luck we can get!
ned911
Region meeting last night COTA was a big topic. There is a deposit but nothing else. It's a 3 region race (Hill Country, Lone Star and Maverick), race chair is from Hill Country but national is handling the talks with COTA. The word from the zone rep was they are an absolute mess (COTA) to deal with and have no clue about anything. They are trying to arrange for a Corral at the Grand Am race in March and that is even a major effort which apparently is beyond COTA's capabilities. Nothing positive to report unfortunately.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.