Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: carb to injector conversion question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
david alex labree
Hi everyone, I have a 1.7 single weber carb motor and I was wondering where, and how, I should go about putting in an injector system? Ive done some research on the different ones, but am still in a loop on how to go about it. Id figure the electrical components would need to be updated for it, new computer etc, but Id like to know what exactly Id be heading into, and whether getting a fuel injector motor with the hook ups, computer and such would be cheaper? Im currently restoring a shell at this point, the motor will be rebuilt so I thought shortly after would be a good time to convert. Any help is appreciated! THanks, David
Mike Bellis
Comes down to budget really. All EFI systems will require similar sensors. Many here use MegaSquirt but there are many other systems available. CB Performance makes a bolt on kit. McMark can set you up with a Mega system.

Find a tuner shop in your area. See which Brand the specialize in. using a system they know will help get it sorted in the long run.
david alex labree
Well Im not budgeting on the teener in anyway, I should expect to spend some money if I were to get one, just figured Id ask what the best way on going about it would be. Im in Tampa so unless I find a classic shop, people will scratch their heads wondering why I asked for input on an injector setup on a 914 and not a sound system in an suv. Ill keep looking around, but I wonder, Ive seen some people sell off their injector systems, sometimes even complete, from their 914s, could that work if possible? Some say they used a d-jet conversion, but Im not too sure on whats needed and such, once again Ill be doing more research, perhaps Auto Atlanta has a kit?
Joe Owensby
There are lots of threads on this subject. I installed a SDS system, which has been running very well for about 3 years and 35000 miles. I think I have a link in my signature that tells how to do this. SDS is not necessarily the cheapest, but it is probably the easiest, that is unless you have a factory system that is still working. My factory system was shot, and replacement components are hard to come by.

JoeO
ConeDodger
Mike said it. Get ahold of McMark and Megasquirt that sucker....
Mike Bellis
There's got to be a shop that works on Japanese cars, fast and furious type. If they do tuning and have a dyno, they can help you.

Otherwise the CB system isn't bad. Setup like carbs and self tuning. It should drive better than carbs.

If you can find a tuner, a programmable system is better.
david alex labree
Thanks, Ill check that out! Well being that I have a single weber carb on this 1.7, and being that the motor is out of the car, the frame it came out is long gone and I have a 72 going thru rust proofing, Im sure the conversion will be fine. It will be a bit until I can, but Id like to figure it all out before hopping in.
Trekkor
I have a complete 1.7 D-Jet system that will be for sale soon.

Fuel pump
Regulator
Intake, runners,throttle body, etc
fuel rails
injectors
brain
harness
aux air valve

The brain is a Bosch reconditioned unit and all of the components are 'as-is'. They came out of the trunk of a recent parts car.

The parts will need to be thoroughly cleaned and all of the hoses and seals replaced, but it may be just what you need.

Maybe a 914 buddy in your area can give you a hand.

I don't know what to ask for all the parts.

I'll send you some pics in a PM if you like.

KT
david alex labree
Trekkor, that would be great if you could! And a few months can give me time to prep and save! Ill be looking up the systems and Im sure this site has much info on how to do it, Id figure it would be better to educate myself on it before jumping right in.
Thanks!
Trekkor
PM sent!

KT
ThePaintedMan
FWIW, I know nothing about FI on these cars, other than Joe at Series in Deland is the guy you want to talk to in Florida. However, there are a few of us in the Tampa Bay area who get together once in awhile for brewskis. PM me and we'll set something up to all get together and meet!

-George
david alex labree
TK, George, I pmed you. Id like to pick up KTs setup, but Im not sure if I need anything else yet. Thanks everyone! I suppose I should really be on finishing the rust repair on the car itself first, but I figured Id get into finding more on the conversion as Ill be doing it shortly after rebuilding the motor
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.