Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Styrofoam in the Door?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
able2222
Doing some window track maintenance on a '70 and pulled the door panels off. Found some large styrofoam blocks in the bottom of the door. Questions: 1. did the factory do this? 2. is it a redneck attempt at sound deading by the PO? or 3. is it an after market floatation assist kit (if it is I'm missing the snorkle)?
914itis
Window stopper? confused24.gif
SUNAB914
Not factory.
76-914
New to me. My 1st ride in a 914 was in Austin albeit 40 yr's ago. dry.gif
Nine_14
Don't forget there must be a plastic foil behind the door panel.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Nine_14 @ Jan 7 2013, 08:09 AM) *

Don't forget there must be a plastic foil behind the door panel.

agree.gif

Although here we'd call it a plastic sheet vapor barrier behind the inner door panel & over the inner frame.

That styrofoam was a DAPO add-on, cuz that will only hold moisture to aid tin worm!

Porsche/VW did inject foam in other body cavities in an ill advised attempt to both sound deaden & waterproof the bodies, which instead turned out to cause water-poof! blink.gif
walterolin
Agree with Tom T. I have an August 1970, took the doors off and apart a few months back. Found several tin worms, some loose window regulator parts, and a layer of undercoating on the sheet metal.

My rear fenders had foam injected into the very top corners by the tail lights, one rusted from trapped water.
Nine_14
QUOTE(walterolin @ Jan 7 2013, 06:34 PM) *

Agree with Tom T. I have an August 1970, took the doors off and apart a few months back. Found several tin worms, some loose window regulator parts, and a layer of undercoating on the sheet metal.

My rear fenders had foam injected into the very top corners by the tail lights, one rusted from trapped water.

Using Foam ? The badest way ever, hope you put this stromberg.gif out
JamesM
My guess is someone put it there to soften the blow of the window crashing down when the lift mechinasim pops out of the little plastic button. I have had this happen a lot with my early cars.

I would check your little plastic button and rollers/guides and make sure nothing is damaged or missing as this can cause occasional binding and then the *pop* and *CRASH* the foam is most likely there to lessen.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.