Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Introducing Porshster.com
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
7TPorsh
Click to view attachment

So I've been working on this site for a little over a year; lots of time and cost...not a full time endeavor.

The idea was to create a place where REAL enthusiasts can buy and sell Porsche related products. Ebay has sold out. Thousand of listings for 914 car covers...even radiators. Chinese crap, etc.

Porshster.com is to provide an inexpensive ecommerce platform for all of us buying and selling parts.

I have initially contacted a few sellers here but I have decided to open it up to all of you and see what happens. This is a total grass roots effort and will rely on word of mouth and "viral" affect so spread the word.

Right now...and for awhile...there are no listing fees! ...and transaction fees end up being way below Ebay.

So I invite you all to take a look, list products and let's get this going.

Spread the word! I know a lot of you are closet taildraggers! biggrin.gif

Oh and if you sell and are worried about having too many items and taking over the site...PLEASE DO!

Consider this site your own for promoting your products and business.

Thanks you looking and please spread the word. Integrating Facebook very soon.

http://porshster.com
Tom_T
Nicely done! I especially like the 917s in the home page top banner! smile.gif

Seems easy to use.

Since you cover all models/years, I'd suggest that you get this link out to PCA, POC, Rennlist model forums, model specific boards like 914world (356, 911, 924/944, 928, Cayenne, etc. all have several each), etc. as well.

Good Luck! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
7TPorsh
Thanks Tom. I am only a member here. I was hoping other members who cross over boards and sites might spread the word and link.

News like this coming from established members is usually better received than from coming from someone with no posts.

SirAndy
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jan 7 2013, 09:49 AM) *
Porshster.com

Whoever is doing your web programming needs to learn a thing or two about validating their code.

There's an easy to use plugin for Firefox called "HTML Validator" or one can do this by hand using the W3C guidelines.
The cleaner the code, the more likely your site is to work on different browsers and platforms.
A good web programmer should know that ... poke.gif

This is just from the homepage:

7TPorsh
Well I'm the "not so good programmer"; hobby at best.

I 'll need to take a look at this...hopefully it's an easy fix and doesn't affect the workings of the site.
7TPorsh
Started cleaning up the HTML but not too worried about it. I just to a look at an Ebay page and see over 950 errors.

Sites like this are not easy to develop and manage. Multiple seller accounts and online stores.

Come one, come all! Please spread the word and let's get some products listed.
Dr Evil
No section for transmission? confused24.gif
HotRod
I registered and want to list some items, however, can't find instructions on how to list items.
7TPorsh
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 12 2013, 06:45 PM) *

No section for transmission? confused24.gif

Engine section? I can rename engine to engine/trans
7TPorsh
QUOTE(HotRod @ Jan 12 2013, 07:31 PM) *

I registered and want to list some items, however, can't find instructions on how to list items.

Thanks for joining. Once registered and loggedd in as a seller, use the links on the left to profile your store.

There is a link to Add product. Click and then you will see a big Add Product button up right; then pick a category, load images and your up and running.
Cap'n Krusty
Nice. However, you need to be prepared with a backup name and logo for when Porsche comes after you. Notice I said "when", not "if". They will, and it's gonna cost you largish bucks even to file the reply with the federal court. BTDT.

The Cap'n
7TPorsh
AlreAdy went.through another name. They did contact me. Was Porsche360.com. they have no trademark on the porshster name. Spelled different. Plus I am not claiming to sell Porsche made parts. There are other sites out there with Porsche in the name that have been running for awhile. Porschev8 for example.
Cap'n Krusty
You're using their trademarked name as part of your business name, and you're using a type font remarkably like their patented font. Here's the basis for the argument(s) they'll use:

col·or·a·ble (klr--bl)
adj.
1. Meant to deceive; not genuine.
2. Seemingly true or genuine; plausible. See Synonyms at plausible.

IME, they're gonna send you a letter, the first page of which will be mostly made up of lawyer's names. They use a BIG law firm.

I don't want to be a doomsayer, but reality is what it is. That's why my former business, Porschouse, got nailed back in the '80s, and that's how Porschelist became Rennlist a decade ago.

The Cap'n
Mark Henry
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ Jan 13 2013, 06:40 PM) *

You're using their trademarked name as part of your business name, and you're using a type font remarkably like their patented font. Here's the basis for the argument(s) they'll use:

col·or·a·ble (klr--bl)
adj.

IME, they're gonna send you a letter, the first page of which will be mostly made up of lawyer's names. They use a BIG law firm.

I don't want to be a doomsayer, but reality is what it is. That's why my former business, Porschouse, got nailed back in the '80s, and that's how Porschelist became Rennlist a decade ago.

The Cap'n

Cap'n is right.

VW (VWofA)been after my buddy big time, he takes <80% of the repair and parts business away from the local dealer. He had to hire a lawyer to get them off his ass, had to change his sign, had to dump all his oil change stickers, etc., etc.

They killed one large VW aircooled vendor just to make a point.
biosurfer1
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jan 13 2013, 12:25 PM) *

Porschev8 for example.

Not a good example though, http://www.porschev8.com/battle.html

They ended up winning but I'm sure the fight cost them money...hopefully it works out for you.
carr914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 13 2013, 07:11 PM) *

col·or·a·ble (klr--bl)
adj.

The Cap'n

Cap'n is right.

VW (VWofA)been after my buddy big time, he takes <80% of the repair and parts business away from the local dealer. He had to hire a lawyer to get them off his ass, had to change his sign, had to dump all his oil change stickers, etc., etc.

agree.gif

When I was at the Porsche Dealership, we were selling items on eBay that weren't Porsche Licensed products. Even though we were a Porsche Dealership, we got Bitch-Slapped
Mark Henry
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 13 2013, 07:52 PM) *

col·or·a·ble (klr--bl)
adj.

The Cap'n

Cap'n is right.

agree.gif

When I was at the Porsche Dealership, we were selling items on eBay that weren't Porsche Licensed products. Even though we were a Porsche Dealership, we got Bitch-Slapped

Yep, the dealership I'm referring to tried to sell aftermarket parts to compete, they had the in house Muzak announcing that they could match price any vendor on after-market parts. They got got a phone call saying if they didn't stop this VW would pull their dealership.
I know a wrench that works for the dealer as well...I have my spies. ph34r.gif

BTW if you're wondering how pelican gets away with it, they obviously have a licencing agreement.
carr914
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ Jan 13 2013, 09:36 PM) *

QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 13 2013, 07:52 PM) *

BTW if you're wondering how pelican gets away with it, they obviously have a licencing agreement.

agree.gif

I don't know how, but the Bird has to have a Licensing Agreement
carr914
QUOTE(biosurfer1 @ Jan 13 2013, 07:21 PM) *

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jan 13 2013, 12:25 PM) *

Porschev8 for example.

Not a good example though, http://www.porschev8.com/battle.html

They ended up winning but I'm sure the fight cost them money...hopefully it works out for you.

If you think Porsche has quit, I have a 914-10 to sell you!
7TPorsh
Porshster does not sell parts. It is a platform just like ebay or any other multivendor site.

I do not use their trademark in my name. Their trademark for name AND font is for the word PORSCHE. All caps in their font arranged in that word. Just like Coca-Cola and their name and script.

Model names are also trademarked. Using "ster" from Boxster is not infringement. Roadster?

Porsh vs Porsche...Seimens vs. Simmons? Is a "Merc" a Mercedes or a Mercury.

I am not using the word and font. They only trademark those letters. No other letters are trade marked. And the trademark only holds if arranged in that word.

My font is slightly altered as is the name spelling. I can show you standard fonts that are so similar it is hardly noticeable.

If need be and if (when?) they contact me AGAIN, I suppose I will have to deal with it. Changing the name and logo is no bug deal. Oh, I said bug, will they sue me? I'll call it RennTrade. Renn is German no?

If its not supporting itself then I'll just pull the plug. All depends on all the community joining in and sellers setting up stores. I'm just one enthusiast with an idea.

If they are smart (lawyers smart?...ha) they would see that the site promotes the brand in a positive way.

Really any issues would be if potential sellers are deceitful and represent parts as authentic Porsche when they are not.

They could come after 914world for using the model designation. Image if there was a Porsche related site named 911world?
Steve Snyder
Surprisingly, "914" is not trademarked by Porsche. The attorney from Porsche Cars North America that reviewed my site confirmed this.
carr914
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jan 13 2013, 10:53 PM) *

Porshster does not sell parts. It is a platform just like ebay or any other multivendor site.

I do not use their trademark in my name. Their trademark for name AND font is for the word PORSCHE. All caps in their font arranged in that word. Just like Coca-Cola and their name and script.

Model names are also trademarked. Using "ster" from Boxster is not infringement. Roadster?

I am not using the word and font. They only trademark those letters. No other letters are trade marked. And the trademark only holds if arranged in that word.

My font is slightly altered as is the name spelling. I can show you standard fonts that are so similar it is hardly noticeable.

If need be and if (when?) they contact me AGAIN, I suppose I will have to deal with it. Changing the name and logo is no bug deal. Oh, I said bug, will they sue me? I'll call it RennTrade. Renn is German no?

If its not supporting itself then I'll just pull the plug. All depends on all the community joining in and sellers setting up stores. I'm just one enthusiast with an idea.

If they are smart (lawyers smart?...ha) they would see that the site promotes the brand in a positive way.

Really any issues would be if potential sellers are deceitful and represent parts as authentic Porsche when they are not.

They could come after 914world for using the model designation. Image if there was a Porsche related site named 911world?

Gary, we are not ragging on you just giving some advise that some of us have had to learn the Hard Way!
7TPorsh
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 14 2013, 05:50 AM) *

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jan 13 2013, 10:53 PM) *

Gary, we are not ragging on you just giving some advise that some of us have had to learn the Hard Way!

I know and I totally appreciate it. I have been part of this community for awhile and while my post count is not super high I end up reading almost everything.

I know a lot of you have dealt with this. If there is any resentment it is towards Porsche for going that extra mile to intimidate.

If they come I am totally prepared to waste some of there money going back and forth. I have access to lawyers too. Even better I don't have to pay for the advise.

I thought its a catchy name. The logo was meant to resemble a side strip. The name and the logo are not what will make of break this site. It will be up to the participants to use the site as their own and make it a success.

Changing the name or logo should not have an impact hopefully. But again it may never be needed. Porsche sent me their list of trademarks and all the legal mumbo around it and all the threatening language. So in essence I did learn (or maybe not) the hard way and this is the second go.

I really do appreciate the feedback. Thanks GT
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.