Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Greyhound Shiping
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dfelz
I have seen here and there people listing that for the larger items they are willing to ship it through Greyhound.
Can someone please explain how the system works and if they have had good experiences using it. I never knew this existed so all info would be helpful.

Thanks beerchug.gif
Trekkor
I shipped a roll hoop cross country years ago.

Give GH a call and see what they require.
Bulky items can sometimes just ship with a label attached.

KT
NORD

Had a Targa top shipped from East Coast to the PNW, cost about $42
and took about 1 1/2 weeks. Cheap. driving.gif
GaroldShaffer
I shipped a rear clip a few years ago. There is a size limit, but I just made it by 1/2 inch biggrin.gif Shipped it from Indiana to CA, but I forget how much now.
rhodyguy
i think GH figured out how much they were leaving on the table. it's all the sudden not so cheap. i once sent a trans across the country for $90ish. now luggage is weighed and there's a premium over 50#. i was going to send a set of he's to portand. the quote was well over $50 and i was going to have to box them and get another quote due to box size.

k
Kirmizi
Ditto on shipping and receiving a tranny via Grey Hound.
To and from Dr Evil, it was about $90 a trip IIRC; but a couple years ago.
Shipping was very easy: do their paperwork and pay, then drop it off before the bus departs. biggrin.gif

Mike
carr914
I've shipped Tranny's, Seats, Wheels w/Tires, etc

the person receiving the item has to go to the Depot to pick-up the item and it can't sit there for very long.

My Guy here in Tampa always takes like 20lbs off the Actual Weight to give me a $ Break
SUNAB914
Yep, last time i did it, it was around $1.00 per pound and I think 100lb limit. Only problem ever encountered was they didn't call the receiving person when it got there.
Andyrew
I had fender flare 1/4's shipped from PA (BIG BOX). Dont think it cost more than $75 for shipping. I picked them up at the local station.
euro911
I guess it all depends on WHAT you need shipped. Large items may be worth it confused24.gif

I priced a set of 4 tires and wheels from San Jose to Long Beach mid-2012 and their lowest cost was ridiculously expensive, PLUS, they couldn't even guarantee when it would ship or arrive here. I wasn't prepared to camp out at the GH terminal and wait for them to show up mad.gif

FedEx Ground was less than half the cost!
bigkensteele
Funny story...

I used to work for the parent company of Greyhound. They promoted GH's CIO to the same job for the parent company, First Group. When he moved from Dallas to Cincinnati, he shipped all of his office decor up via GH, including several framed pictures. About half were broken upon arrival.

Haven't used them personally, but for anything breakable, I would pack it very, very well.
zonedoubt
QUOTE(euro911 @ Jan 7 2013, 01:20 PM) *

I wasn't prepared to camp out at the GH terminal and wait for them to show up mad.gif

Not sure why you'd have to camp out. Most cities where Greyhound drops off will have a freight office where you can pick up the shipment. You get a tracking number and they call you when it arrives.

I had a dash pad shipped in GH and it was about half of what it would have cost by other methods.
dfelz
Cool thanks for the info everyone!
mhuber45
make sure it is packed well, I had an interior shipped for a 72 MBZ and the box looked like it was dragged behind the bus..good luck
McMark
I've got the other side of the coin. They lost two boxes full of axles (probably 30 pieces) never to be seen again. Tried to track them down, but at the end of the day I still don't know what happened to them and I'm out the shipping cost.
Dr Evil
It can be good, but FedEx ground was the same price and delivered it to my door with no attitude. Most GH stations are in the hood and staffed by hoodrats that could care less about you or your stuff.
ThePaintedMan
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 7 2013, 10:28 PM) *

It can be good, but FedEx ground was the same price and delivered it to my door with no attitude. Most GH stations are in the hood and staffed by hoodrats that could care less about you or your stuff.

Heeheehee, Dr. Evil said "hoodrats." That made my day smile.gif
Ed_F
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 7 2013, 07:28 PM) *

Exactly. I would rather pay a little more anyway than waste gas and possibly get stabbed by a crackhead blink.gif
dfelz
QUOTE(Ed_F @ Jan 8 2013, 08:42 AM) *

QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 7 2013, 07:28 PM) *

Exactly. I would rather pay a little more anyway than waste gas and possibly get stabbed by a crackhead blink.gif

Haha, fair enough
charliew
Hoodrats is a good new term for me. Ditto on the gh waco location. I used to use gh a little but it wasn't cheaper and they seemed to loose hotrod parts off and on in the waco community. We tried to get the shipper to wrap the box to disguise what was in it. I now have a entry and auto gate so no body will try to do anything other than drop the boxes at the gate. I am in the process of making a package deposit box out of a greenlee job box. It will be surrounded by a concrete block planter so it's not obvious from the street I hope. I bought some boxter winter wheels and tires from a Boston area dealer, I think, and I just picked them up at the trucking terminal to save some money. Ups has brought me several 100 lb. packages to the house. They cost about 100.00 shipping. I do know most of my delivery guys by their name also that helps.
Mark Henry
GH is good in Canada, but another real good way here is VIA Rail.
I had a flywheel shipped for $12 and the station phoned about 4 hours after the dude said it shipped (Ottawa to Oshawa).
smile.gif
Tom
Shipped 916 front and rear bumpers from Washington state to southern California, had to pack and box them up, then Greyhound charged $126.90.
Buyer said they arrived OK.
Tom
ww914
QUOTE(Tom @ Jan 8 2013, 05:05 PM) *

Shipped 916 front and rear bumpers from Washington state to southern California, had to pack and box them up, then Greyhound charged $126.90.
Buyer said they arrived OK.
Tom

I am the guy who received the above bumpers and they arrived just fine. Had to go to the bus station, but no big deal for me. Saved some shipping dollars. Now, with that said, if I had a high dollar item, I might not do it for that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.