Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Flywheel wear limit drawing?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
PDXMike
Can anyone confirm if this is the correct drawing for resurfacing the flywheel? Is the 11mm wear limit correct? I ask because the cross-section near the center of the hub doesn't look QUITE the same as my flywheel

Click to view attachment
Dave_Darling
Which flywheel are you talking about? 914-4? 914-6? Other 911 engine installed in a 914?

There is no 914-4 diagram, at least not that I've been able to find. The closest I've seen is only for the 914-6. I hope that the dimensions are the same for the -4 version, but quite frankly I don't know.

And before someone tells me "Oh, it's in the little spec book!", go look at your copy. Is that a four-cylinder one, or the six-cylinder? Because my book, and the other ~half-dozen copies I've looked at, only had the 914-6 diagram...

--DD
Bartlett 914
I have a flywheel that is in very good condition and I have 9.11mm I am sure the wear limit of 11mm is not correct for a 4
rjames
I tried long and hard to find this info but never did. I ended up biting the bullet and buying a new flywheel to play it safe. A new/uncut is something =< than 9mm as that's the measure mine was when purchased new. Nice to know that the new one will most likely outlast the life of the car.

If you re-use yours, make sure that the top of the bolts don't sit above the surface. You don't want them making contact with the clutch disk. I think that's the main concern since you could adjust the clutch for a change of 1mm. Some have shaved the bolt heads down, but I didn't want to go that route.
Mark Henry
Did you get that diagram from one of my old posts?

The dimension "A" is correct, "C" is debatable. "B" is pretty well WTF?

For dimension "C" grind the heads of the flywheel bolts, shim the pivot as needed and once a 6 spring clutch disc starts hitting the flywheel bolts it's done.
If you have a choice you want to pick the flywheel with greatest dimension "C".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.