Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 4-cylinder 911 Motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Britain Smith
http://www.partsobsolete.com/4_cylinder_911_motor.htm

Does someone what to explain to me how they do this...

-Britain
J P Stein
Why, it's simple.
Just cut out the 2 center cylinders of an aluminum case and weld the ends back together....prolly ought to do the same with the cam towers. Minor issues include custom cams, crank, intake manifolds, cam covers...yada and about $15-20k. Got a sawzall? Piece of cake rolleyes.gif

Some guy in CA does it....figures.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Schmuck69 @ May 16 2003, 12:18 PM)

they cut off 2 cylinders wink.gif
Joe Bob
QUOTE(Schmuck69 @ May 16 2003, 11:18 AM)
http://www.partsobsolete.com/4_cylinder_911_motor.htm

-Britain

Very expensively..... wacko.gif
airsix
I want him to cut a motor in half and ADD 2 or 4 more, not remove 2. happy11.gif

-Ben M.

ps - Ahh heck, make it 6 more. I'll call it "the centipede". Hmmm... Might have to move the tranny back a little. wink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(airsix @ May 16 2003, 12:57 PM)
I want him to cut a motor in half and ADD 2 or 4 more, not remove 2. happy11.gif

actually, it would be much easier to just weld 2 4cyl. engines together ...
take the flywheel off one, the fan off the other and weld the cranks together!

a "cheap" 4.0 liter flat /8 smile.gif

Andy
airsix
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 16 2003, 12:25 PM)
QUOTE(airsix @ May 16 2003, 12:57 PM)
I want him to cut a motor in half and ADD 2 or 4 more, not remove 2.  :evilgrin:

actually, it would be much easier to just weld 2 4cyl. engines together ...
take the flywheel off one, the fan off the other and weld the cranks together!

a "cheap" 4.0 liter flat /8 smile.gif

Andy

I hate pushrod motors. Ugghhh. If I'm spending big money I want overhead cams, dry sump, aluminum cyls...

I love my 914, but I just barely tollerate it's leaky rattling powerplant with it's anemic 47hp per litre. barf.gif

-Ben M. (can't wait for a six)
SirAndy
QUOTE(airsix @ May 16 2003, 01:43 PM)
I hate pushrod motors. Ugghhh. If I'm spending big money I want overhead cams, dry sump, aluminum cyls...

while i do agree with you on that i still think a "double" /4 would be a way cool project! aktion035.gif driving.gif
airsix
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 16 2003, 12:47 PM)
QUOTE(airsix @ May 16 2003, 01:43 PM)
I hate pushrod motors. Ugghhh.  If I'm spending big money I want overhead cams, dry sump, aluminum cyls...

while i do agree with you on that i still think a "double" /4 would be a way cool project! aktion035.gif driving.gif

Yes, I admit it would be cool. It's been done at least a couple of times. I've seen pictures of a bug-in in Europe where someone showed up with one. Also saw one in a magazine when I was a kid.

-Ben M.
Jeroen
QUOTE(airsix @ May 16 2003, 09:57 PM)
Ahh heck, make it 6 more. I'll call it "the centipede". Hmmm... Might have to move the tranny back a little. wink.gif

Basically that's what the factory did... they called it a 912 engine and dumped it in the back of something they called 917 biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
Mueller
Supposedly, someone was going to make new castings for the 911 four-banger, not sure if it ever materialized or not.

Want a 8 cylinder flat motor?

Flat 8

IPB Image
krk
QUOTE(Jeroen @ May 16 2003, 02:22 PM)
QUOTE(airsix @ May 16 2003, 09:57 PM)
Ahh heck, make it 6 more.  I'll call it "the centipede". Hmmm... Might have to move the tranny back a little. wink.gif

Basically that's what the factory did... they called it a 912 engine and dumped it in the back of something they called 917 biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen

It'll never work.

Oops. Ok. They were lucky.

Welcome to Friday.

kim.
Mueller
Here is a cheaper motor, (I would think, but by how much, who knows??)

Type I bottom end with Subaru heads (watercooled)

If someone wants to give me set of Boxster or 996 heads, I'm sure I could figure a way to morph them onto a Type IV smile.gif

The factory already does this with the factory cars...the GT2, GT3 use an aircooled block with watercooled heads....the bore spacing has not changed in ages on thier 6 cylinder motors.
airsix
QUOTE(Jeroen @ May 16 2003, 02:22 PM)

cheers,

Jeroen

Yes, I know. Lovely little monsters weren't they? Hard to come by now-a-days though.

I love Porsche history. (wish the present was as bright as the past)

-Ben M.
Mueller
Let's try this again, their server does not like people linking to thier pictures:
Jeroen
QUOTE(krk @ May 17 2003, 02:15 AM)
It'll never work.

Later, they even turbo-ed them biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen
krk
QUOTE(Jeroen @ May 16 2003, 04:25 PM)
QUOTE(krk @ May 17 2003, 02:15 AM)
It'll never work.

Later, they even turbo-ed them biggrin.gif

cheers,

Jeroen

So we all know you can't turbo a /4, but I guess you can turbo /4+n? Hm. Wait a sec. there might be one in my driveway.....

917's rule. To me, in many ways, it's a "golden age' or a snapshot where the right rules come together with the the right manufacturing skill to produce something that is just amazing.

As you can guess -- turbo P cars are big with me!

kim.
Mueller
krk Posted on May 16 2003, 04:36 PM
As you can guess -- turbo P cars are big with me!

Life is too short to be Naturally Aspirated MDB2.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 16 2003, 04:24 PM)
Let's try this again, their server does not like people linking to thier pictures:

exactly what my neighbor has in his sand rail! insane, turbo'd hp fi...dynoed at 482 hp. <_<
Jeroen
QUOTE(krk @ May 17 2003, 02:36 AM)
917's rule.

Just got LeMans (the movie) on DVD this week
I already watched it 2 times biggrin.gif
Those guys were real heroes!

cheers,

Jeroen
Aaron Cox
will this engine (dubbed 911/4 smile.gif ) fit into a volksawgen beetle or ghia? i smell a 5 speed v dub conversion biggrin.gif
Scott
Actually there are 2 guy that I know that make cut down 930/4 cases. One is Chuck Beck that makes the Porsche Spyder Replicas and the other is a friend of Kevin Jeannette (owner of Gunnar Racing) named Dean Polopolus. Yes they are 15-20 grand to do one. It is much cheaper to put a Porsche 6 in. But if you must have a "Porsche" 4 then these are sweet. They put out 200 hp. Twice that of the type 4 engine and it can take the stress.
airsix
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 16 2003, 04:24 PM)

Whoa! I want more info!! This looks awsome. (although just dropping in a wrx 2.0 might be a lot easier)

-Ben M.
J P Stein
The only place I've eyeballed one is at Gary Emory's place in Micminville (sp?), OR. He has a campout/swapmeat each summer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.