Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: side shift linkage adjustments?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jdlmodelt
I have the side shift transmission on my 72 with all factory hardware. It is hard to pull into first gear. The linkage joint at the firewall is nearly to the firewall just when it drops into first gear. I tried removing some stroke from the sleeve adjustment up by the shift lever but that does not help since the linkage at the firewall is already bottoming out so to speak. I am wondering about pushing the rear link at the transmission forward on the the shifting rod and drilling a second hole in the rod for the locking bolt to land in. This would in effect push the lower, 1st, 3rd, and 5th gears towards the center of the shifting pattern.

Any thoughts?
James
GeorgeRud
There should be no problem with the shift rod hitting the firewall, so I wonder if the adjustment under the shifter is not correct (ie the shift rod is pushed too far into the connector). I think that you should not have to drill a new hole to have things line up correctly.
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 8 2013, 09:15 PM) *

There should be no problem with the shift rod hitting the firewall, so I wonder if the adjustment under the shifter is not correct (ie the shift rod is pushed too far into the connector). I think that you should not have to drill a new hole to have things line up correctly.

would the adjustment on the rod splines below the shifter effect the placement of 1st gear? I could rotate the shifter more to the right and see what it does?
GeorgeRud
If the splines are misaligned, it will affect the ability to get into the left or right shift gates. The length of the rod is what I gather you are having problems with. If the connector behind the firewall is up against the firewall when the shifter is in 1st, third or 5th gear, then the front rod is too short and needs to be lengthened (under the shift console) by a bit.
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 8 2013, 10:22 PM) *

If the splines are misaligned, it will affect the ability to get into the left or right shift gates. The length of the rod is what I gather you are having problems with. If the connector behind the firewall is up against the firewall when the shifter is in 1st, third or 5th gear, then the front rod is too short and needs to be lengthened (under the shift console) by a bit.

Thanks GeorgeRud, that makes sense, except if when in 1st, 3rd or 5th the linkage is already against the firewall. That stroke distance is dictated by the throw distance from the transmission...at least in this case it seems to be. I have to pull back pretty aggressively to get it into 1st and sometimes as I ease out on the clutch it grinds because I wasn't completely engaged and I have to clutch it and pull back more. It is in this position that it feels like I am up against the firewall. It doesn't seem like lengthening the rod inside the cab would effect the linkage hitting the firewall since the transmission linkage has not changed with respect, which just seems like it would change the shifter centering, not the stroke length from the transmission linkage to the firewall linkage...since it is just barely getting into 1st gear with a lot of effort when the linkage is hitting the firewall?
76-914
if the throw or length is off it will effect all gears; not just 1st. disconnect the shift rod from the tranny and place the tranny in 1st, 3rd & 5th manually. was the lever in the same position (just as far forwards)with respect to the firewall?
rhodyguy
try moving the shifter coupler further forward on the front rod. not much at a time. use a fine tip sharpy to mark the current front coupler placement on the front rod before you start. you can lock the whole rod assem down by putting a pair of vice grips on both sides of the rear rod where it passes thru the engine support bar. this makes for easy small adj upfront. did you replace the the rear shift cup bushing, the whole lot actually, during the side shift conversion?
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 9 2013, 09:01 AM) *

try moving the shifter coupler further forward on the front rod. not much at a time. use a fine tip sharpy to mark the current front coupler placement on the front rod before you start. you can lock the whole rod assem down by putting a pair of vice grips on both sides of the rear rod where it passes thru the engine support bar. this makes for easy small adj upfront. did you replace the the rear shift cup bushing, the whole lot actually, during the side shift conversion?

Yes, the entire assembly came out of a 76 and all the bushings and linkages are brand new.
rhodyguy
moving the shifter coupler forward effectively lengthens the front rod and the f/r rod connection will move to the rear. there's a fine line between too much and too little. the free play between r24 and and 135 when in their respective engagements should be about the same. look for tight in one aspect and loose in the other.

k
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 9 2013, 09:29 AM) *

moving the shifter coupler forward effectively lengthens the front rod and the f/r rod connection will move to the rear. there's a fine line between too much and too little. the free play between r24 and and 135 when in their respective engagements should be about the same. look for tight in one aspect and loose in the other.

k

Ok. I'll try that! thanks!
j
jdlmodelt
Okay. I spent over an hour trying to find the sweet spot. didn't get there. Today I replace a couple of bolts with the correct allen screws and followed Dr. Evil's shifter adjustment instructions and it is a lot better. I might just leave it alone for a while now and enjoy it.
smile.gif
TexomaEV
QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Feb 17 2013, 01:59 PM) *

Okay. I spent over an hour trying to find the sweet spot. didn't get there. Today I replace a couple of bolts with the correct allen screws and followed Dr. Evil's shifter adjustment instructions and it is a lot better. I might just leave it alone for a while now and enjoy it.
smile.gif

Where does one locate a copy of "Dr. Evils Shifter Adjustment Instructions" ?
Black22
QUOTE(TexomaEV @ Feb 18 2013, 05:17 AM) *

QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Feb 17 2013, 01:59 PM) *

smile.gif

Where does one locate a copy of "Dr. Evils Shifter Adjustment Instructions" ?

It used to be a link in his signature. You have to PM him to get a copy now.

Why isn't it in the Classics threads?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.