Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: what color for rocker panels and bumper lowers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jdlmodelt
So, my 914 is mother of pearl white. I have a gallon of black metalic and a gallon of smoke-grey metalic. which do you think would look best for the side rockers, and front and rear bumper lower fairings and the wheel spokes?
Dave_Darling
Stock for the rocker panels and valences is satin black. I like that look; I think the body-colored ones make the car look too chubby.

The wheels might look nice in silver. The stock Mahle and Pedrini wheels were. Even though these are Rivieras, it might still look nice.

--DD
914itis
Black .
Try this
914 configurator
Eric_Shea
I'm with Dave. I always like the satin black rockers and valances.
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(914itis @ Jan 8 2013, 09:40 PM) *

Black .
Try this
914 configurator

Thanks! I can't get the wheels to change to Rivieras though.
Eric_Shea
There's a reason for that! biggrin.gif
dlkawashima
As Eric said ...

This should help:

http://www.eggscollective.org/nathan/stora...igurator_j.html
sixnotfour
be different smoke grey metallic rockers and wheels, blk metallic aint right anyways
jeeperjohn56
I did mind satin black, and power coated. John driving.gif
somd914
It's easy to change if you don't like it. Do what you want, it's your car.
Griffinroydonald
Smoke grey would look good and paint the rims to match. What color interior do you have ?
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(Griffinroydonald @ Jan 9 2013, 05:51 AM) *

Smoke grey would look good and paint the rims to match. What color interior do you have ?

Its black and gray interior. I will be changing out the new black racing bucket seats for some reupolstered factory seats so I can incorporate some grey into the replacement seats as well. I guess if I did the rockers and valances grey I would need to do the top the same color too right?

And yes...I can always repaint a different color if I don't like the results.
thanks!
Griffinroydonald
I would paint the top Grey as well . This would pull out the grey color of the interior and look great but you must post pictures as that is the price you must pay for asking questions. popcorn[1].gif
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(Griffinroydonald @ Jan 9 2013, 07:37 AM) *

I would paint the top Grey as well . This would pull out the grey color of the interior and look great but you must post pictures as that is the price you must pay for asking questions. popcorn[1].gif

Of course! pictures say a thousand words. Especially on here! How do you think the grey top will look with the black vinyl B-pillars?
7TPorsh
black, silver, gray, all good...but not metallic.
rhodyguy
btw, those aren't the generic rivs. they're formula vees. smooth spoke faces, correct backspacing. for that look, much more desirable than the rivs. less tire sizing hassles.
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 9 2013, 09:45 AM) *

btw, those aren't the generic rivs. they're formula vees. smooth spoke faces, correct backspacing. for that look, much more desirable than the rivs. less tire sizing hassles.

What does all that mean? "those aren't the generic rivs. they're formula vees. smooth spoke faces, correct backspacing. for that look, much more desirable than the rivs. less tire sizing hassles." ? I'm still pretty new to all of this.
j
7TPorsh
QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Jan 9 2013, 08:55 AM) *

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 9 2013, 09:45 AM) *

What does all that mean? "those aren't the generic rivs. they're formula vees. smooth spoke faces, correct backspacing. for that look, much more desirable than the rivs. less tire sizing hassles." ? I'm still pretty new to all of this.
j

Means you have the nicer more desirable Rivs that actually fit a 914. Not the ones used on VDubs.
Gint
Be careful about putting too many patches of those three different colors all over the car. It will end up looking plaid. Since you're putting black seats in it, I'd probably paint those valances and rockers semi gloss black, and the nice rivs, wheel silver with polished hoops. Or possibly black centers. But it's your car. Do what you want. Actually the smoke grey might look good on those riv centers.
steuspeed
+1 for satin black rockers and valence. RSR gray finish on the wheels with polished lip or maybe black centers.
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(steuspeed @ Jan 9 2013, 06:29 PM) *

+1 for satin black rockers and valence. RSR gray finish on the wheels with polished lip or maybe black centers.

Nice visual...Maybe the weather will cooperate sooner rather than later so I can try out some colors. I like the grey on that wheel.
Wegeng_Haus
Here's a picture of my car, with black bumpers, semigloss spoiler and rockers. The bumpers are FG, so I had to paint them, and the car looked kinda cool with its original, late model black bumpers, so I went black. Granted, blue is way different than white, so this may not help you. Also, this is a very non-stock, non-original auto-x car, so you may be looking to go with a more stock arangement. I sure like the look of those grey metallic center Fuchs wheels. Dave
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(Wegeng_Haus @ Jan 10 2013, 02:37 PM) *

Here's a picture of my car, with black bumpers, semigloss spoiler and rockers. The bumpers are FG, so I had to paint them, and the car looked kinda cool with its original, late model black bumpers, so I went black. Granted, blue is way different than white, so this may not help you. Also, this is a very non-stock, non-original auto-x car, so you may be looking to go with a more stock arangement. I sure like the look of those grey metallic center Fuchs wheels. Dave

Thanks Wegeng. Visuals are awesome. I think I'll do the grey metalic on all parts and see how it looks. I can repaint all of the associated parts easily enough.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.