Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2270
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ww914
I am currently running 40 Dells, but am thinking of trying 45s. Is anyone using 45s? If so, what jets are you running?
ConeDodger
I ran 45 Dells on my 2270. I do not recall the jetting but they were set up by Air Cooled Engineering in Salt Lake City. Art Thrane will be able to tell you what is just about right. I would get an A:F ratio gauge though. You do not want to go lean with a 2270. sad.gif
ConeDodger
I just read your signature. If Mark built your engine, why don't you ask him? He is a carb expert you know... A little bird told me he will be the distributor for a revolutionary new type of jetting for downdraft Weber carbs soon. Both the two barrel and three barrel variety.
ww914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 9 2013, 07:44 AM) *

I ran 45 Dells on my 2270. I do not recall the jetting but they were set up by Air Cooled Engineering in Salt Lake City. Art Thrane will be able to tell you what is just about right. I would get an A:F ratio gauge though. You do not want to go lean with a 2270. sad.gif

Thanks for the info Rob. McMark says I should leave well enough alone as I have it running really nice. I just think, for whatever reason, that 45s just might work better. Oh, and I have an a/f setup installed.
ww914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 9 2013, 07:47 AM) *

I just read your signature. If Mark built your engine, why don't you ask him? He is a carb expert you know... A little bird told me he will be the distributor for a revolutionary new type of jetting for downdraft Weber carbs soon. Both the two barrel and three barrel variety.

Hmmm....he didn't mention that.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(ww914 @ Jan 9 2013, 07:52 AM) *

QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 9 2013, 07:47 AM) *

Hmmm....he didn't mention that.

Don't worry about that. Dells are a thing of joy. They transition off of their idle circuit a lot nicer than Webers. Mark is right, if you know where you are at with your A:F ratio and it is in a proper range, you're fine. Leave it alone. Drive it. Enjoy!
Cupomeat
agree.gif
Leave it alone, the additional air and power you could possibly get with a 45 all depends on how it is set up (in comparison to your current 40s) and is likely too small to notice (unless you have some sort of amazing breathing monster).

Just a suggestion.
ww914
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Jan 9 2013, 01:09 PM) *

agree.gif
Leave it alone, the additional air and power you could possibly get with a 45 all depends on how it is set up (in comparison to your current 40s) and is likely too small to notice (unless you have some sort of amazing breathing monster).

Just a suggestion.

I don't have a big breathing monster, just wondering if I can get just a little more. I am auto-crossing it so maybe I don't need the extra power at 6000 rpm. In this case maybe the 40s are working better on the low end. This assumption is way beyond my pay grade however, that is why I am checking with you experts.
ConeDodger
Warren, Trust me on this. If your car is a narrow body, and as I recall it is, you've got all you can handle tucked back there. It will take you a year to learn how to hang on to the car. You'll be going so fast at the end of the straight you will look like a monkey having sex with a football just trying to gather it together to get around the corner. Enjoy the Dells. To go to 45's, you need P&P heads or something from Len's LE series and a seriously good exhaust. Drive it for a year and see if I'm not right.

My 2432 overcame 30+ years of autocross skills in narrow body form. I had already planned on going to the flares but it felt necessary with all that power. I just couldn't get enough tire under there.
ww914
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ Jan 9 2013, 04:22 PM) *

Warren, Trust me on this. If your car is a narrow body, and as I recall it is, you've got all you can handle tucked back there. It will take you a year to learn how to hang on to the car. You'll be going so fast at the end of the straight you will look like a monkey having sex with a football just trying to gather it together to get around the corner. Enjoy the Dells. To go to 45's, you need P&P heads or something from Len's LE series and a seriously good exhaust. Drive it for a year and see if I'm not right.

My 2432 overcame 30+ years of autocross skills in narrow body form. I had already planned on going to the flares but it felt necessary with all that power. I just couldn't get enough tire under there.

You're right Rob. My narrow body is a handful to this newbie on the track. I plan to add slicks to my bucket list to help. I've got flares and 5 studs waiting in the garage, but I plan to take it one thing at a time. Thanks for your input.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.