Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '73 Resto & Suby 6 Conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16
914forme
That made it more clear keep up the work
A&P Mech
popcorn[1].gif This is pretty cool. I purchased the aluminum to do something like this a while ago. Looks like I will be riding your coat tails yet again. Thanks for doing the heavy lifting Kent! popcorn[1].gif
Andyrew
I like it! I think the divide is important so the flow goes the right way and doesnt disrupt. I think this will help a lot!!!

Personally I would have used expanding foam to make a template, shape it to fix and fiberglass it. But your way works smile.gif
76-914
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 29 2017, 03:08 PM) *

I like it! I think the divide is important so the flow goes the right way and doesnt disrupt. I think this will help a lot!!!

Personally I would have used expanding foam to make a template, shape it to fix and fiberglass it. But your way works smile.gif

I was leaning towards glassing it Andrew. I even have a partial roll of some S glass. IIRC, it is good to 200C. What I couldn't wrap my head around was how I would apply resin to the bottom. confused24.gif On a high note, it passed the remove part of removable today. The test will be the install part of re-installation. I hated that it needed to be designed this way but as sure as God made little Green Apples had I not done it ...........well you know.
76-914
QUOTE(A&P Mech @ Jun 29 2017, 02:18 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif This is pretty cool. I purchased the aluminum to do something like this a while ago. Looks like I will be riding your coat tails yet again. Thanks for doing the heavy lifting Kent! popcorn[1].gif

Well at least wait a few months. You know how many mistakes I've made during this build. Some of them take months to rear their ugly heads! lol-2.gif
mgp4591
I hated that it needed to be designed this way but as sure as God made little Green Apples had I not done it ...........well you know.
[/quote]
What? That it wouldn't have rained in Indianapolis in the summertime?? shades.gif
Andyrew
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jun 29 2017, 04:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Jun 29 2017, 03:08 PM) *

I was leaning towards glassing it Andrew. I even have a partial roll of some S glass. IIRC, it is good to 200C. What I couldn't wrap my head around was how I would apply resin to the bottom. confused24.gif On a high note, it passed the remove part of removable today. The test will be the install part of re-installation. I hated that it needed to be designed this way but as sure as God made little Green Apples had I not done it ...........well you know.

You remove the foam mold, glass it, after wrapping it in foil, then break the foam out after the glass has set. Also technically speaking you dont need to do a bottom. Just the portion that forces air to the fender and run it to the floor.
Andyrew
Also you can make the base foundation from chickenwire or some other extremely maluable substrate. I might do that on mine, either foam the wire and smooth or lay the first layer with cloth.
76-914
More baby steps and it's slowly coming together. This is the biggest part I could put together and still be able to remove it. The remainder will be pop riveted or screwed together.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

This is the piece I made to square up that weird angle on the flange at the wheel well. Also a few shots of it's template.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

With the small gusset in place the top piece can be a flat sheet. piratenanner.gif

Click to view attachment

Because of the off center outlet on the Celica radiator I had some side stepping to do. I used 2 Goodyear #60083 1.25" extended 90's and shortened one to make it a plain 90, attached the two and dodged a bullet.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Made this copper coupling piece so I could have the line exposed once the plenum is in place.

Click to view attachment

The left fan is re-fitted for what I hope is a very long time. A 3/4 x .125 piece of angle is riveted to the back wall so the top piece has several attach points.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Then the top piece is cut and attached to check fit. The clecoes will remain in place during initial testing. I had planned on installing plate nuts with countersunk SS screws but now I'm leaning towards pop rivets. I can drill those out faster than I can remove those soft SS screws. happy11.gif I need to install and connect the new coolant lines before I build the right side plenum.

Click to view attachment
76-914
Pieces are all cut and mated. Just need to remount the fan and a general clean up before reassembling. I'll silicone inside where skin surfaces are joined to make it air tight. However, I can't go further until some A/C and radiator hose fittings arrive. Should be this week. Here are a few pics in the rough to give you a general idea of the shape. I'll post the final product and some measurements if anyone wants them. beerchug.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Larmo63
You're NOT putting a Japanese engine in a German car, are you?
bootyshake.gif
jimkelly
nice duct work BUT i thought the consensus was that suby did not require much air flow.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...&hl=opening

jim
A&P Mech
Looks great Kent! beerchug.gif
JRust
Well done Kent! So the real question is. Did it fix the heat issue with your tank?
76-914
Thx Ray. AC fittings finally arrived and so I was able to button everything up . Here are a few pics of the finished product. Jamie. I won't know for a week or so.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
76-914
I've driven the car about 5 times since completing the new duct work. Usually for about an hour at a time with temps ranging 87-92F. The gas tank has remained cool to the touch after all test drives, so far. piratenanner.gif After this evenings drive I touched the metal ducts and the right side was hotter than the left. I wonder if that Celica dual core radiator passes the water thru one side before the other? idea.gif I also installed a new fan controller today so it may be that the right fan was the only fan activated. I'll install some small LEDs to show when the fans are running. I can't hear them and I don't want them running when on the hi way. My old Derale controller ate it so I replaced it with this Dakota unit. I've always been pleased their attention to quality and am thus far happy with this purchase. They require a dry cool climate so I located it next to the fuse panel. It's programable too; whether you have 1 or 2 fans; 1 speed, 2 speed or variable speed fans as well. Can use your engines temp sender and gage or get the info from your ECU with the $40 adapter. One advantage of this methods is the controller knows your speed and will shut down the fans on the hi way when connected to the ECU. I went the simple route with a single sender. I may have some in/out parameters to dial in but so far so good. The real test comes tomorrow. I will be on the 15 S 80 mph in 92F+ and I'll be running the AC. Hopefully I'll make Cruising Grand. I've had to abort enroute to the last 2 events. sad.gif

This is the 12v spade connector that supplied the old controller.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Remnants of the old relay. Notice the residue on the male spades? It's melted circuit board.

Click to view attachment

The new controller mounted

Click to view attachment
914forme
Very nice,

Looking at it, I see an A/C terminal. This traditional is used to run a fan to pull air through the A/C condenser even if your coolant is not up to temp. Not sure if you need to hook it up or not. Here in humid Ohio, yeah I would hook it up.

Best of luck on the trip and let us know how it goes. beer.gif
Chris914n6
QUOTE(76-914 @ Aug 3 2017, 08:53 PM) *

I've driven the car about 5 times since completing the new duct work. Usually for about an hour at a time with temps ranging 87-92F. The gas tank has remained cool to the touch after all test drives, so far. piratenanner.gif After this evenings drive I touched the metal ducts and the right side was hotter than the left. I wonder if that Celica dual core radiator passes the water thru one side before the other? idea.gif

You're confusing 2 core with 2 pass. Celica rad is one 1 pass, sounds like only 1 fan is running.
If you have it set for 2 different run temps if might not be hitting the 2nd. My second fan only comes on in town on hot days.
76-914
Well, the trip was a smashing success. When I left Temecula it was 90 something degrees. I ran 80mph (that is the minimum speed limit in SoCal) with the AC blasting and the fans never even came on. Temp stayed centered, which it always has, but the big news is the gas tank was cool to the touch. piratenanner.gif The return trip was the same speed but temps were down about 6-8F and I didn't use the AC. Same result. Cool gasoline. Now the fuel pressure hasn't dropped below 49psi since the fuel is no longer piping hot. My cabin is now much cooler too. I think I can finally put this major PITA to bed. That was an 18 month long puzzle. headbang.gif Unless there is a Gremlin hiding somewhere this car is basically finished sans a paint job. Everything now runs together harmoniously.
Elliot once asked me whether it was more difficult to build this car than it was to build an airplane. Now that it is finally "ironed out" I can say that it was positively more difficult to build this car than the airplane. There will be the usual maintenance items but nothing worth posting in this build thread. If I discover anything that doesn't work I'll mention it here. Other than editing some of my boo boos out of this thread I'll ask Andy to move this thread and call it a wrap. Thanks to everyone that contributed to this build. beerchug.gif
A&P Mech
Whoa, whoa, whoa! Move the thread? Car is done? None of this is making sense to me! blink.gif Maybe I drive a completely different type of project then you? Done? Is that possible? I thought without consistent tinkering a 914 will progress to its natural state of rest on jackstands? slap.gif Say it isn't so!
greggearhead
Just wanted to say thanks for this thread. It has all kinds of useful info for the Subie swap project car my step son and I will be building.
SzoylentGreen
Great thread Kent!

So I read through it and noticed you went from the 3/4 and 7/8 rubber lines to the metal 1.25” lines, but couldn’t find exactly in the thread you made the change.

What was your experience with the smaller lines?

What was the issue with the smaller lines that motivated you to change to the larger ones, and did the larger ones fix the issue?

Thanks man
76-914
@SzoylentGreen At times, ignorance reigns supreme. Here is the condensed version. When I went to a larger radiator I thought it a good idea to enlarge the front opening. In doing so I increased the incoming air volume/pressure to the point that it began heating the gas in the gas tank. Ignorance helped me overlook my mistake and told me the radiator was getting too hot although the temp gage never moved off dead center. chair.gif Ignorance took my hand and convinced me that the fuel pump was cooking the gas so out came the tank and another was installed with an external pump. Didn't help a bit. headbang.gif Again, ignorance convinced me to changed out the lines to a larger size but the gas tank was still getting hot and causing vapor lock. It was too hot to touch sometimes! Finally I ducted the radiator exhaust out the wheel wells and Viola, success.
There was absolutely no temperature or performance differences noted between the small hoses vs the larger hose. I'd also like to mention that contrary to what I'd heard, running the hoses thru the longs did not transfer any heat into the cabin or sidewalls. beerchug.gif
What I learned: 1) Don't violate the 20% rule e.g. the exit area should be 20% larger than the intake area. 2) Duct the radiator if you can. Then the cabin will remain as cool as it did before the H20 conversion. I have a V-8 conversion that allows hot air to enter the cabin, albeit minor. I've ridden in other conversions that also allow unwanted heat in the cabin. I will say that if the top is removed it isn't as noticeable. beerchug.gif
SzoylentGreen
QUOTE(76-914 @ Jan 8 2019, 10:20 AM) *

@SzoylentGreen At times, ignorance reigns supreme. Here is the condensed version. When I went to a larger radiator I thought it a good idea to enlarge the front opening. In doing so I increased the incoming air volume/pressure to the point that it began heating the gas in the gas tank. Ignorance helped me overlook my mistake and told me the radiator was getting too hot although the temp gage never moved off dead center. chair.gif Ignorance took my hand and convinced me that the fuel pump was cooking the gas so out came the tank and another was installed with an external pump. Didn't help a bit. headbang.gif Again, ignorance convinced me to changed out the lines to a larger size but the gas tank was still getting hot and causing vapor lock. It was too hot to touch sometimes! Finally I ducted the radiator exhaust out the wheel wells and Viola, success.
There was absolutely no temperature or performance differences noted between the small hoses vs the larger hose. I'd also like to mention that contrary to what I'd heard, running the hoses thru the longs did not transfer any heat into the cabin or sidewalls. beerchug.gif
What I learned: 1) Don't violate the 20% rule e.g. the exit area should be 20% larger than the intake area. 2) Duct the radiator if you can. Then the cabin will remain as cool as it did before the H20 conversion. I have a V-8 conversion that allows hot air to enter the cabin, albeit minor. I've ridden in other conversions that also allow unwanted heat in the cabin. I will say that if the top is removed it isn't as noticeable. beerchug.gif

Hi, this is Andy from FB BTW.

Thanks for the info. Hey, how low does the EZ30 oil pan hang? Is it much lower than the type 4 motor oil pan?

I’m still working on the design for my center radiator. It’s defintly going to be ducted.
If you look at the ideal ram air duct, This one is used in almost all of the modern race cars, no matter open- or closed-wheel racer car. This design changes the speed and the pressure of the incoming air. The basic principle behind this is to slow the air in front of the radiator and transform the dynamic pressure to static pressure, raising the static pressure at the same time. This type of duct is usually made long, so that the air has time to settle.

In most cases, automotive applications can’t get very close to the ideal shape beciuse of packaging constraints.

In my case, I’m sandwiching the radiator between then bumper and the tub (porsche 912), and going to try to make the underside of the bumper act like the ram duct, smaller entrance and an expansion chamber. Then, behind the radiator will be a duct that directs the exhaust air downwards. This approach puts the inlets and outlets across a large pressure difference areas (in front of the bumper is always the highest pressure, and under the car is a low pressure region). The approach I’m going with is actually kind of similar to what Porsche did with the 996, and also very similar to the Toyota MR2. In fact, the MR2 only has about 3” behind the radiator, and most of this is taken up with fans, much like my planned duct.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
partwerks
QUOTE(BIGKAT_83 @ Aug 4 2014, 09:53 AM) *

Kent.... here is how I did my mufflers. At cruise this is as quiet as my wifes Camry.
When I'm at a stoplight I have to look at the tach to make sure its still running.
From the rear
Click to view attachment
Under
Click to view attachment

That's what I want. Quiet!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.