Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CF Dash
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ruby914
Here is a photo of a CF 914 dash. It is not an overlay. It is not just a dash face. This dash has many studs that have to be properly located, just like the OEM dash. If you look up the price of a CF dash face, maybe you can interpolate a price for this dash.
I made it for the Ruby 914 long before I started the WRX dash. It's wet lay-up, no vacuum bagging.
I made a mold intending to reproduce them but with all the other projects, WRX project, new house...
Basically, with my real job, I found a CF dash was cost prohibitive to produce.
FG was not much better.

Over the Christmas holidays I got a little note taped to my front door.
It was from a kid in the hood. He was looking for work, on his time off from school, to save for a car.

I called him and told him I had some car parts that he may be interested in making.
I may get with him this weekend and show him how to make the "A" pillars with the satellite tweeter boss.
If this works out, I will give him the molds to take home and hope he does not stick a part to the mold.

I have also considered giving the molds to my friend that owns a surf shop . He may be interested in making parts on the side.

Mike
TurboWalt
Awesome!
mepstein
Nice work!
wingnut86
Way to go Mike.

That's the one that's similar to the 911 gauge setup, correct?

Will you sell it to me now:-)
naro914
Soooo.... Are you considering making them again? Or are you just teasing us with a picture of a very cool dash?

How much to have you make one? Or 2?
ruby914
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ Jan 10 2013, 05:27 AM) *

Way to go Mike.

That's the one that's similar to the 911 gauge setup, correct? No this is a direct replacement for the 914 gauge cluster.

Will you sell it to me now:-) The car comes with it biggrin.gif
wingnut86
av-943.gif

huh.gif
JRust
I want one too drooley.gif
JmuRiz
Very cool looking piece!
Bob L.
That's real nice.
I bet a surfboard guy could do that very well.
ruby914
QUOTE(naro914 @ Jan 10 2013, 08:02 AM) *

Soooo.... Are you considering making them again? Or are you just teasing us with a picture of a very cool dash?

How much to have you make one? Or 2?

A little of both.
I kept this secret when I did it, thinking I would loose my job and would fall back on making 914 parts. Years later, I still don't know about my job but would like to make it happen. The CF parts are very labor intensive. There is a question of best finish for the FG parts, recover with vinyl add $450 or so, Paint?
I will make some calls and see if I can get a limited production started.
It will be great if this kid down the street works out.

Mike Bellis
I like it. If the price is right...
gunny
It looks great and I would be very interested in buying one. Hope it works out
Woody
QUOTE(gunny @ Jan 10 2013, 12:30 PM) *

It looks great and I would be very interested in buying one. Hope it works out

agree.gif
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 10 2013, 10:25 AM) *

x2 to this list
tadink
I want it

I want it

I want it

I want it
MATTYLITE
I need this...NOW!
carr914
While your at it, make a CF for a 84 911 Please
ruby914
QUOTE(carr914 @ Jan 10 2013, 11:23 AM) *

While your at it, make a CF for a 84 911 Please

I knew a guy that told me he had a RTM or VARTM dash mold for a 911. I will have to Google for the product and look him up.
monkeyboy
I'd be in for one... Could you make one for pop's 67 Fairlane too? smile.gif
Gint
Make 'em in fiberglass! I like the fg recovered in vinyl idea. Easier and cheaper to produce.
RON S.
QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 10 2013, 05:57 PM) *

Make 'em in fiberglass! I like the fg recovered in vinyl idea. Easier and cheaper to produce.

Hey Gint,

I recently became familiar with a new process that is called ''Hydro Dipping''

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=playe...p;v=EmcdGmYexd8

If this link works, you'll see how it's done.
Basically there is a very thin film pattern of anything you can imagine. IE; Carbon fiber, Camouflage, or anything else, and it's laid on top of a pool of water. Then the object to be printed is dipped through the film, and then rinsed.
The part is printed a full 360 degrees around. It's really slick. I recently held an aftermarket brush guard for a 4x4 truck that a guy had done in carbon fiber. It was amazing, I couldn't see any seams. It really looked like CF, but the guard was made of aluminum. There are lots of companies doing this for folks.
If the link doesn't work, just Google Hydro Dipping....
914outlaw
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 10 2013, 01:25 PM) *

Me too.
Dr Evil
I wonder how the hydro-dipping resists abrasion and such.
ruby914
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Jan 10 2013, 06:45 PM) *

I wonder how the hydro-dipping resists abrasion and such.

Me too. It looks great, I wonder if it would hold up.
I don't have full web access at this time but I did see a DIY kit idea.gif
I made some calls and found a slow surfboard factory smile.gif I will try to make it down there soon.
I have also been in talks with 914rubber Mark about the fg recovered in vinyl. If you see these in the future with a vinyl cover, I am sure they will be comming from Mark.
kid914
QUOTE(dpires914 @ Jan 10 2013, 09:42 PM) *

QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 10 2013, 01:25 PM) *

Me too.

Ditto for me.
Very cool looking BTW. beerchug.gif
wingnut86
I wonder if you can dip a rusted panel in something similar to a "Factory Fresh" color coat;-P
Gint
I've seen gun stocks done? Cool stuff.

Embedded youtube vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmcdGmYexd8
MATTYLITE
Any update on the production of this? Still very interested....
gothspeed
I will take the one in the first picture!!! shades.gif

plain fiberglass would be good too! it can then be wrapped in leather, alcantara or vinyl
ruby914
QUOTE(MATTYLITE @ Jan 29 2013, 08:58 PM) *

Yes, a little progress. 2 weeks ago I met with Chad down the street and showed him the process to build the "A" pillars. He is a good kid. I want to get him up and running on the "A"pillars before I set him loose on a dash. I was going to start him on his first set last weekend but something came up. I did start one so we should make good progress next time he comes over.

I work a 9-80 schedule. This weekend, I hoped to have a 3 day weekend but they asked me to work all 3 days again:angry:. I will still try to get him over this Friday.

Ultimately Chad could take over the dash but I still need to package the dash molds as a kit and get them to another friend to discuses production. I will try do that buy the end of next week.
walterolin
In for one.

Olin
MATTYLITE
QUOTE(ruby914 @ Jan 30 2013, 12:40 AM) *

QUOTE(MATTYLITE @ Jan 29 2013, 08:58 PM) *

Yes, a little progress. 2 weeks ago I met with Chad down the street and showed him the process to build the "A" pillars. He is a good kid. I want to get him up and running on the "A"pillars before I set him loose on a dash. I was going to start him on his first set last weekend but something came up. I did start one so we should make good progress next time he comes over.

I work a 9-80 schedule. This weekend, I hoped to have a 3 day weekend but they asked me to work all 3 days again:angry:. I will still try to get him over this Friday.

Ultimately Chad could take over the dash but I still need to package the dash molds as a kit and get them to another friend to discuses production. I will try do that buy the end of next week.

Sounds great Mike. Will be awaiting further news / progress biggrin.gif
ruby914
I pulled the dash mold out of storage, It looks ok, no warp. Still, I should beef it up.
I didn’t notice any scribe lines in the mold to translate to the part as trim lines. I am sure I did the final trim to fit the car and never looked back at the mold for production.
It is not like I want to pull the dash out of my car to transfer the lines. I do have an old dash that would get me close, It may even tell me all I need to know.
Better yet, If there is a parts car nearby, with a window frame and sub dash that would be great for final inspection.
Donations are welcome.

charliew
Not to hyjack but I did dip some gun stocks and it's not nearly as easy as it seems. Several things have to be just right to get good results including experience and enviorment ie water temp and a really calm surface. The more unusual the shape the harder it is for a novice. I do know they can dip wheels though and have good results. You use a touchup gun or airbrush to spray a solvent on the film floating on the water and you better get it just right or you get to start over. You are melting a floating film that you will put the object into. Just adjusting the air in the spraygun is touchy. They tell you to practice on wall plug covers, little simple flat objects. Remember the wood trim that was plastic in cars?
MATTYLITE
QUOTE(ruby914 @ Jan 31 2013, 07:04 PM) *

I pulled the dash mold out of storage, It looks ok, no warp. Still, I should beef it up.
I didn’t notice any scribe lines in the mold to translate to the part as trim lines. I am sure I did the final trim to fit the car and never looked back at the mold for production.
It is not like I want to pull the dash out of my car to transfer the lines. I do have an old dash that would get me close, It may even tell me all I need to know.
Better yet, If there is a parts car nearby, with a window frame and sub dash that would be great for final inspection.
Donations are welcome.

I have a dash that is completely out of the car that I could loan you to continue the progress of the cf dash
kid914
Any new news about the CF dash?????????????
tadink
QUOTE(kid914 @ Mar 3 2013, 08:46 AM) *

Any new news about the CF dash?????????????

popcorn[1].gif
ruby914
QUOTE(MATTYLITE @ Jan 10 2013, 11:19 AM) *

I need this...NOW!

PM sent.
kid914
any updayes on the dashes????????? smile.gif
gothspeed
QUOTE(kid914 @ Apr 29 2013, 05:03 PM) *

any updayes on the dashes????????? smile.gif

+914 .......... smile.gif
Niche
Will these be available for sale?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.