Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Making of the Movie "Grand Prix"
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
carr914

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yPHck13W9A
wndsnd
One of my best friends, worked directly for Porsche in the 1970's and 1980's and ran their factory team racing program in the U.S.

He was involved with the making of the movie as well and is actually in it. (Actually not this movie, it was the LeMAns McQueen Movie), my bad.

He worked directly for Helmut Bott, (sp?) and sold Porsche Racing Cars, engines, and parts, to Private Teams in the US and managed the factory teams. He was involved with all aspects of Porsche racing, from the 917's. to 928 Speed records on the salt flats, etc. His name is Peter Schmitz.

He will be visiting me next in March. He is a good friend, retired, and living the good life. His stories are the best over Schnapps!
Cracker
Boy have times changed...check out the Ford GT-40 sans bodywork and used as a camera car! blink.gif

Thanks for posting!
carr914
QUOTE(Cracker @ Jan 10 2013, 10:15 AM) *

Boy have times changed...check out the Ford GT-40 sans bodywork and used as a camera car! blink.gif

Thanks for posting!

The GT-40 that had it's roof cut off & used as the Camera Car in "LeMans" was restored & just Sold for $11Mil - this could be the same car confused24.gif
mhuber45
there is and old Porsche factory driver that has a shop here in STL and stories he tells are crazy-what a cool time in the makers history--and the 356 race cars he has are nuts
drgchapman
Thanks for posting!
What a blast to watch!
We don't need no safety......check out the people at the start inside the wall of the track
tadink
great post!

if I recall correctly, the guy that did the stunt work on the car crashing into the water was actually killed in that stunt.

My 2nd cousin did the stunt driving in Bullitt (he was the big dark haired guy McQueen was chasing) and he was a top stunt driver at the time. He was tapped to do the Monoaco crash scene and passed....apparently a wise decision!

Gonna have to go watch Grand Prix now - turned up loud!

td
carr914
QUOTE(tadink @ Jan 10 2013, 01:52 PM) *

if I recall correctly, the guy that did the stunt work on the car crashing into the water was actually killed in that stunt.

I don't think so, however Lorenzo Bandini ( a F1 Driver) who appeared in the Movie, suggested the movie accident where the car goes into the water. One Year later in the Monaco GP, he died in that very spot of the movie crash in a fiery accident in which he hit a Light Pole.

David Piper was seriously hurt (lost part of his leg) in making "LeMans".
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.