Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which taco plate seal do I need?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
last337
I am going to try to fix a leak on the oil temp sender but I havent taken it apart yet. I am ordering a new sending unit as well. I am confused b/c Pelican has two different ones; one being listed as for 1.7 and 1.8 and the other Im assuming for 2.0.

The problem is that this is what my sending unit looks like from bottom:

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Which looks like it will take this gasket which Pelican lists as the 1.7, 1.8 gasket

Click to view attachment

This is the other one they have listed. Do I need both to fix that?

Click to view attachment
last337
Nevermind, I figured out that I need both. The o-ring goes on sending unit and gasket on taco plate. Duh wacko.gif
luskesq
QUOTE(last337 @ Jan 10 2013, 10:33 AM) *

Nevermind, I figured out that I need both. The o-ring goes on sending unit and gasket on taco plate. Duh wacko.gif

Well, you are partially correct. What you need are 2 – 6mm copper crush washers prt# N012803-2, sender crush washer prt# 900-123-007-30, gasket that goes between the two plates 039-101-287 and o-ring prt #021 101 269 A that goes between the taco plate and engine case (not the sending unit. Your pic doesn't show the cover plate that goes on top of the taco plate, then gasket, then plate.

Remember not to overtighten.

Keith
last337
QUOTE(luskesq @ Jan 10 2013, 01:05 PM) *

QUOTE(last337 @ Jan 10 2013, 10:33 AM) *

Well, you are partially correct. What you need are 2 – 6mm copper crush washers prt# N012803-2, sender crush washer prt# 900-123-007-30, gasket that goes between the two plates 039-101-287 and o-ring prt #021 101 269 A that goes between the taco plate and engine case (not the sending unit. Your pic doesn't show the cover plate that goes on top of the taco plate, then gasket, then plate.

Remember not to overtighten.

Keith

I got everything but the sender crush washer you stated. In the catalog it is listed for a 911. My sender is bad so I ordered a new one prt#323-055-M82. Is that incorrect? That is what the guys at Pelican said I needed.
Dave_Darling
What sender you need depends on what gauge you have. For instance, aftermarket gauges have their own senders that are calibrated for the range of the gauge.

IIRC, the stock sender has been NLA for quite a few years. Using the wrong sender will give you a reading, and it will go up as the temp goes up and down as the temp goes down. It won't necessarily be in the correct part of the scale, but then again the stock gauge isn't numbered...

--DD
7TPorsh
That sender is in there backwards, right?
luskesq
Dave is correct in that the needle with a mismatched gauge/sending unit will differ from a matched set; however you should get a reading. As to your question however, yes, part #900-123-007-30 should work with your new sender (if the one pictured on the Pelican site).

Keith
luskesq
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jan 10 2013, 02:11 PM) *

That sender is in there backwards, right?

No.

Keith
Valy
I think you got the wrong sensor. The one you need has a long nose but it may be that the one you got will fit as well.

For sealing you'll need the big red oring between the sensor plate and engine case, a paper gasket between the sensor plate and the cover plate, 2 small copper washers between the holding screws and the cover plate and one bigger copper washer between the sensor and the sensor plate.

I found all the copper washers at HarborFreight
http://www.harborfreight.com/80-piece-copp...ment-67526.html

For the paper gasket you can use the link in my signature and print yours.

The oring can be sourced at many parts store. I had one on my shelf so didn't funt for it.

Always use gasket sealant on the paper gasket!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.