Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT Remembrance Day
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GWN7
November 11th is Remembrance Day here. It started as a day to remember those who fought so we could have freedom in the first world war.

World war 1 ended on the 11th day of the 11th month at the 11th hour.

Traditionally two minutes of silence is held at that time for those that fought and died for freedom.

The tradition of Remembrance Day has been carried on to include all those who have served in the armed forces.

I won't be here to post this on the 11th (off to one of the other houses for a few days)

So here's a LINK to a short video about the 11th.

Got two minutes?
wheelo
Politically Speaking...... Yes....it would be Politically correct.... to do so... alas...as we have no political content here.... So I will refrain from making an American response regarding VETERANS DAY 2004...... other-than to describe the color of my 914.... Red .....as-in the color of blood spilled to keep our symbol of freedom flying ....

flag.gif
redshift
Miles
Bruce Allert
Thanks Bruce, t'was very good clap56.gif

......b
red914
yes, thank you Bruce.
michel richard
My Dad served from spring of 1941 to summer 1945, as volunteer, hunting Nazi submarines over the North Atlantic. 119 or so combat missions, more than 1,000 combat hours as a navigator flying in conditions that ranged from benign to insane.

We owe him the liberty we enjoy today . . . he passed away 10 years ago.

I am so proud to be Canadian.

Michel Richard
MattR
QUOTE(redshift @ Nov 10 2004, 01:25 AM)
Miles

confused24.gif

Great topic though. Ive lost a few family members in combat (including a cousin last year in iraq). All my relatives and grandparents (even grandma served) served in our various wars. Im glad we have a few days throughout the year to sit back and remember what our soldiers have fought for.
Howard
Thank you Bruce. In partial repayment...

Troops
Joe Bob
My flag is out...with the PROPER nighttime lighting....

Gonna visit grandpa down at the vet cemetery as well.....
redshift
I screwed that up somehow...

All I had meant to say was:

Thanks,

Miles
Alison Baker
God Bless ALL our Military Men and Women....
I feel the pain when your loved one is deployed to the War...been thru it
Let there be peace ....
Lou W
Thanks for the reminder Bruce and Howard flag.gif
rick 918-S
flag.gif Where's the Canadian flag?
Alison Baker
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 10 2004, 09:00 PM)

Heres the Scottish Flag......
Ctrout
I will be unable to visit my father's grave (cancer, Agent Orange) because I am currently in my 11th year of service in the USAF and unable to make the trip home. My leave request was rejected due to mission requirements. I'm sure he would understand.
PatW
I had the honor to attend a event a few years ago that told about WWII vets and how they served. Especially rememberable was a little old man who had a box full of brass, who served in Patton's third army from Africa to the Battle of the Bludge. Another was an 80 year old fighter jock that flew P38 lightings in the Pacific. He was an image of a Jack Lalane and still fit into his uniform. Medals and all.

What I feel the most for is the D-Day, Omaha beach surviors. While many of the Vets has brass and medals they proudly displayed. This one Vet only had a " Combat Infrantymen's badge". The MC of the event made sure to point out that this man had seen the worst of battle and deserved respect.

Before the event was over the audiance stood up and took and oath to tell these stories of what these men did and what they sacraficed. Even since then I make it a point when I meet a Vet to ask and listen to their story.

As a nasty battle takes place now in Iraq. I think it's important to remember Veterans Day and to those that didn't make it back home. I know I sure will.

Pat
michel richard
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ Nov 10 2004, 09:00 PM)

Here
michel richard
I also visited Normandy. Canada was responsible for one beach: Juno.

I was at one of the villages and found a plaque that read something like:

"Here at 6h15 in the morning on June 6 1944 members of the Winnipeg Rilfes landed. 35 died on this beach. We owe them the freedom we enjoy today"

I was very moved.

Michel Richard
krk
Thx for the reminder all.

I was at Juno last fall. Found where my mom's bro ended up. And her cuz. I was blown away with the level of respect among the folks in the area. CDN's were on Juno -- there were lots of other beaches tho, and the price paid there was the same.

And as has already been pointed out, the same price is being paid today in several areas of the world.

Spending a minute or two tomorrow in reflection is not a big price to pay.

kim.
wheelo
beerchug.gif
To all us vets...past and present......
and to all freedom fighters......
Everywhere !

smoke.gif
Aaron Cox
bruce asked me to bump this on the 11th....
Jenny
two minutes of rememberance is nothing in comparison to what others have sacrificed for our freedom. I will always remember.

Jenny
anderssj
Dulce Et Decorum Est - Wilfred Owen

Bent double, like old beggars under sacks,
Knock-kneed, coughing like hags, we cursed through sludge,
Till on the haunting flares we turned our backs
And towards our distant rest began to trudge.
Men marched asleep. Many had lost their boots
But limped on, blood-shod. All went lame; all blind;
Drunk with fatigue; deaf even to the hoots
Of disappointed shells that dropped behind.

GAS! Gas! Quick, boys!-- An ecstasy of fumbling,
Fitting the clumsy helmets just in time;
But someone still was yelling out and stumbling
And floundering like a man in fire or lime.--
Dim, through the misty panes and thick green light
As under a green sea, I saw him drowning.

In all my dreams, before my helpless sight,
He plunges at me, guttering, choking, drowning.

If in some smothering dreams you too could pace
Behind the wagon that we flung him in,
And watch the white eyes writhing in his face,
His hanging face, like a devil's sick of sin;
If you could hear, at every jolt, the blood
Come gargling from the froth-corrupted lungs,
Obscene as cancer, bitter as the cud
Of vile, incurable sores on innocent tongues,--
My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old Lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori.

Wilfred Owen served as an officer in the British infantry from 1917 until his death in 1918. He was blown up, concussed and suffered shell-shock. At Craiglockhart, the psychiatric hospital in Edinburgh, he met Siegfried Sassoon who inspired him to develop his war poetry. He went back to the trenches in September, 1918 and in October won the Military Cross by seizing a German machine-gun nest. On 4th November he was shot and killed near the village of Ors. The news of his death reached his parents’ home as the Armistice bells were ringing on 11 November 1918.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.