Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear floor pan triangles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
last337
I started pulling and poking more and more to get a better assessment of the hell-hole. It appears to be mainly straight down through the fender and through the rear floor pan triangle. My only concern is the condition of the material left on the rear of the long. For the most part the long looks solid enough but has some rust. My friend who will be doing the welding said he can do whatever I need but I am wondering if anyone has welded flat-bar or something along the longs to add stiffness. That may also give the triangle more material to mount to.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(last337 @ Jan 11 2013, 08:36 AM) *

but I am wondering if anyone has welded flat-bar or something along the longs to add stiffness...

Please don't do that. Work like that usually has a rather limited lifespan.
We frequently deal with 914s which were previously "repaired" or "reinforced" in a similar manner.
It just makes a proper repair more difficult if not worthless later on, and hurts the long term value of the vehicle.
You don't have to use factory or repro repair panels if you're trying to save money doing the work yourself, but at least use sheet metal of an appropriate thickness which can be shaped so the panel contours are approximately maintained.
If you're looking to reinforce the chassis use one of the three (well - two now) commonly available products: Brad Mayeur Long Kit, Engman Long Kit (nla for now), Restoration Design Clamshells.
The Brad Mayeur kit is more suitable in the case of a car which requires extensive longitudinal repair but the budget doesn't allow for proper repro pieces to be used.
The other two should be used on a solid original or well repaired chassis.
Cairo94507
We beg you to do it right as stated above. You will be sorry if you give in and do it improperly.
malcolm2
QUOTE(last337 @ Jan 11 2013, 07:36 AM) *

I started pulling and poking more and more to get a better assessment of the hell-hole. It appears to be mainly straight down through the fender and through the rear floor pan triangle. My only concern is the condition of the material left on the rear of the long. For the most part the long looks solid enough but has some rust. My friend who will be doing the welding said he can do whatever I need but I am wondering if anyone has welded flat-bar or something along the longs to add stiffness. That may also give the triangle more material to mount to.

Several "frame stiffener" posts and vendors out there that look easy to and install and the guys on here have all liked them.
worn
QUOTE(last337 @ Jan 11 2013, 05:36 AM) *

I know the feeling. The way to go is to remove each of the areas that have rusted and replace them. In some parts you can quite easily bend sheet metal to fit. I use 24 pack Coke boxes as patterns. If a panel is really shot, it is a great feeling to know you have drilled out the spot welds and properly plopped in a piece from Restoration Designs and rewelded to make it like new. Go that route and drive the car a few weeks later. If you have a good welder, they should want to do it that way anyhow. Good luck, we're all pullin for you.
Jeff Hail
Please dont use bed frame, conduit or plumbers tape. It takes us years to get past those materials. Therapy can run into the thousands!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.