Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Safer Pin-Type Jackstands on Sale
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Tom_T
PSS - This is the final week at these sale prices according to the website, but that may mean until 1/31/13 - but IDNK.

EDIT & FOLLOW-UP -
I got my 2 pairs of 3 ton jackstands on Monday, & they are both lightweight (for steel) & sturdy/stable being 3-legs with good footpads & triangulated. I've not used them yet, but IMHO they should work fine within their spec'd design limit.

EDIT/PS - added lift ht & other specs for each, so you can pick your poison! biggrin.gif

FYI y'all - These safer pin-type jackstands are currently on sale at Northern Tool online in 2 ton & 3 ton flavors, but IMHO you'd pick for which lift height you want.

They are much safer & more secure than those crappy pivot latch ones sold everywhere now. dry.gif

2 ton Pair $15 on sale:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/pro...96971_200496971

EDIT -
Ship Weight 9.02 lbs
Lift Capacity (tons) 2
Min. Lift Height (in.) 10 5/8
Max. Lift Height (in.) 14 1/8

IPB Image

3 ton Pair $25 on sale:
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/pro...85231_200485231

EDIT -
Ship Weight 13.42 lbs
Lift Capacity (tons) 3
Min. Lift Height (in.) 13
Max. Lift Height (in.) 19 11/16
Base L x W (in.) 12 x 9 1/2

IPB Image

I ordered 2x 3 ton pairs for myself based on height range.

Cheers! beerchug.gif
Tom
///////
Gint
Thanks. That's a great price for pinned jack stands.
Dr Evil
It humors me that Gint replied to a thread on jack stands smile.gif
Dave_Darling
Well, he certainly knows why the pinned ones are better....

--DD
Tom_T
QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 12 2013, 08:02 PM) *

Thanks. That's a great price for pinned jack stands.

Plus they've become as scarce as hes' teeth anymore, with those stromberg.gif ratcheted ones taking over & crushing skulls, mashing nose bones, etc.! dry.gif
Chris H.
Thanks Tom! Just ordered some. In case you don't get the irony, Gint had a very close encounter with a jack stand several years ago.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 13 2013, 12:42 PM) *

Thanks Tom! Just ordered some. In case you don't get the irony, Gint had a very close encounter with a jack stand several years ago.

I recall reading about it in another jack stands post, but his accident was before my time on here.

It's just too damn easy to bump those ratchet handles with an elbow, foot, tool, etc. & kill or seriously injure yourself, plus some poorly cast ones will slip off the ratchet tooth all by themselves! sad.gif

I have a pair of pin & a pair of ratchet type that came with a small floor jack I& crawler, but I only use the ratchet ones on the base ht. without any ratchet height added - i.e.: it bears on the base only. So a set of four matching ht. ones will help me tremendously!

I have to put this big sucker up on them at the exposed A-frame & bumper main frame rail ends to do some belly pan, suspension, etc. resto/repair work on my wife's "new" toy! dry.gif

Click to view attachment

....and then on to the Westy, BMW & 914 last!
popcorn[1].gif
Chris H.
Cool! Yes you would not want that big thing falling on you. I have the crappy ones currently which should be used as backup. Have to admit they were primary until now. Had a "wobbling" incident that scared the crap out of me while under the SVX donor. You know that "woooaaahhhhh... whoah...whew!..$hit man that was close!"
Tom_T
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 13 2013, 01:02 PM) *

Cool! Yes you would not want that big thing falling on you. I have the crappy ones currently which should be used as backup. Have to admit they were primary until now. Had a "wobbling" incident that scared the crap out of me while under the SVX donor. You know that "woooaaahhhhh... whoah...whew!..$hit man that was close!"

It's only 2580 lbs dry/empty & maybe 2800-3000 wet/loaded, but it's a bug hulk!

In such cases I go right past the "woooaaahhhhh... " - & right to the "oh f***..." & the full blown "sailors' blue streak" as my Dad used to call it - much to my wife's chagrin! biggrin.gif

One time she told our kids I'd said "Son of a Fish!" when I hammered a finger or something! Quite creative & quick thinking, she was! laugh.gif
7TPorsh
Are these high enough to do an engine drop?
VaccaRabite
19 inches up should clear for an engine drop. A lot depend on where you put the jackstands.

Zach
Tom_T
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jan 14 2013, 11:19 AM) *

Are these high enough to do an engine drop?

Probably not Gary, but if you search around their website under jackstands, they have soem really tall ones used on trucks & tractors, but they may cost as much as a lift for 4 of them since their something like 6-12 ton versions IIRC. blink.gif

The $25 3 ton ones above get you up almost 20" & you could build some base plates out of 4x4, 4x6, 2x12 or 2x16 etc. lumber to add a bit, but then it won't be as stable.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ Jan 14 2013, 11:59 AM) *

19 inches up should clear for an engine drop. A lot depend on where you put the jackstands.

Zach

I'm assuming he'll need some extra ht for an engine dolly or similar to roll it out Zach.
VaccaRabite
19s should do it assuming you are only lifting the back of the car. With the jackstands on the rear donuts, you should have well over 22 inches out the back of the car.

If you are lifting all 4 corners, no, its probably not tall enough unless you are willing to remove the rear valence.

Zach
rmital
...just in case anyone else was wondering where their order was.
I ordered a pair. Looked like a good deal and they were in stock.
Click to view attachment
thought I'd check on the order today...at some point after I ordered went to "backordered".
called, they said next batch will go out on Feb. 4th.
Tom_T
QUOTE(rmital @ Jan 19 2013, 07:08 AM) *

...just in case anyone else was wondering where their order was.
I ordered a pair. Looked like a good deal and they were in stock.
Click to view attachment
thought I'd check on the order today...at some point after I ordered went to "backordered".
called, they said next batch will go out on Feb. 4th.

Ray -

Mine are in transit & should arrive sometime tomorrow UPS (usually late in day), so PM me if you need feedback on how they look & work, in case you'd have to cancel before they ship - if they're a POS.

I think they should be okay though, from what I've heard.

PS - I need them to be stable so I can jack this 2800-3000 lb sucker up & put the stands on the frame, while I pull the axle & leaf spring suspension to sandblast the rust & repaint or PC it all - & I want that tall tippy trailer to be stable! blink.gif

Click to view attachment

shades.gif
rmital
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 20 2013, 02:00 PM) *

Ray -

Mine are in transit & should arrive sometime tomorrow UPS (usually late in day), so PM me if you need feedback on how they look & work, in case you'd have to cancel before they ship - if they're a POS.

...thanks, will do.... flag.gif
Tom_T
Got mine on Monday, but forgot to post here.

The 3T are fine & stable being 3 point triangulated bases with sturdy footpads, & a locking ring for both sides of the locking pins.

They are pretty light - which is nice for hoisting around, & much lighter than the old 1980's pair of 2T ones I had of a different design/mfgr., but they should be fine for the purposes we all use them on & for my 2800-3000 lb. trailer.

In any case, they're much safer than the cam-type ones, as Gint & a few others on here can tell you.
Tom_T
icon_bump.gif Website says final week at these price reductions.... shades.gif
7TPorsh
says backorder online...
rmital
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 23 2013, 01:33 PM) *

Got mine on Monday, but forgot to post here.

The 3T are fine & stable being 3 point triangulated bases with sturdy footpads, & a locking ring for both sides of the locking pins.

They are pretty light - which is nice for hoisting around, & much lighter than the old 1980's pair of 2T ones I had of a different design/mfgr., but they should be fine for the purposes we all use them on & for my 2800-3000 lb. trailer.

In any case, they're much safer than the cam-type ones, as Gint & a few others on here can tell you.

thanks for checking back in Tom....I'll keep my order and get them in a few weeks.
billh1963
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jan 23 2013, 01:42 PM) *

says backorder online...

I ordered mine a week sgo. They are on back order; however, they will be in by the end of the month (supposedly)
ArtechnikA
Interesting.
The only jackstand failure I've personally experienced was with this _type_ stand. It was a long time ago so obviously not these very ones.

But this style depends on the integrity of 6 welds in fairly thin stock. In mine there was a chip or pinhole in the paint over the weld area and corrosion set in. The weld failed and the leg started spreading when a load was applied. (Not catastrophic, just inconvenient. If it had failed with a load in place the story could have been different...)

Just something to watch out for.

I have several sets of the ratchet type and it seems to me that with mine, you have to hit the ratchet hard enough to actually lift the load for it to release. And you do need to whack the guide pin into its slot just like most of us don't...

Mind you, I'm not recommending them, and you need to be careful any time you're under anything.

Griot's has a pin-type that's basically a big round plate with a big pipe welded to it. Those are calling to me, although they're pricey...
lonewolfe
Thanks for posting this. I just ordered two pair of 3 ton stands. They're back ordered 8-10 days but I can wait! I have not been able to find any of these type jackstands anywhere. Not even Sears has them. I've had my car slip off the ratcheting type stands twice while raising the opposite side of the car from the stands. I particularly like the big round feet on the bottom of the stands. These are a great improvement!
Tom_T
Lonewolf -

If you have 2 jacks, some recco jacking one end, place stands, release enough to put pressure on stands but not full weight - then jack other end with 2nd jack, place those stands, then drop that jack down slowly, & remove, then drop & remove 1st end.

There are several acceptable jacking places on the 914's unibody to allow this, while leaving the 4 jacking doughnuts freed-up for the stands, but probably save the longer reach one for the rear...

Click to view attachment

Rich -

Look around the Northern Tool & HF websites, as IIRC they both have those type Griots sells - maybe for a better price - and they're aluminum IIRC, which is what makes them expensive.

I was concerned about the round base plates on them, & that not being as stable from tipping & wobble, so when I saw these I went for them.

These in steel are probably about the same weight since they don't have to be as heavy gauge as aluminum, but you will need to watch welds & corrosion! biggrin.gif

All -

I've not seen this style anywhere for a long time - with or without the footpads, & they are a good deal at this price, assuming there are now unseen flaws, substandard materials nor overly ambitious weight ratings.
Tom_T
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jan 23 2013, 10:42 AM) *

says backorder online...

BTW - backorder still gets you the sale price, just a longer wait for delivery. smile.gif
7TPorsh
Geez, an hour ago it said 8-15 day back order, now I go to order and see more than 30 days...I think the world bought them out.

Think I'll pass. Probably end up being two months.
7TPorsh
Ideally I'd love a box frame that I could put the whole car up on. Someone had some table/stands for under the tires. Something like that for the donuts would be cool.

I can't believe these pin types are so hard to find.
Tom_T
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jan 23 2013, 03:24 PM) *

Ideally I'd love a box frame that I could put the whole car up on. Someone had some table/stands for under the tires. Something like that for the donuts would be cool.

I can't believe these pin types are so hard to find.

Someone on here had a topic or post in a thread for a full car dolly with castered wheels IIRC, which had post points lined up on the 4 doughnuts, & all so the car was up but able to be wheeled around. It had about 12-18" of lift, maybe more.

If anyone has that bookmarked or linked, then you might post it here for 7TPorsch? confused24.gif

IIRC they built it or had it built to their design by a welding shop/person.
Tom_T
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jan 23 2013, 03:21 PM) *

Geez, an hour ago it said 8-15 day back order, now I go to order and see more than 30 days...I think the world bought them out.

Gary.... as my Dad used to say: " stromberg.gif or get off the pot!" or they'll be 6 months out! laugh.gif
draganc
I have also ordered a set of 3 ton jacks with the same lead-time. Interestingly enough, I have never seen the ratchet style in Europe, or at least in Germany - only pin version.
I will use both at the same time for backup purpose.
When I jacked up the rear with the ratchets only, I removed the tires, I used them as backup under the floor. Not the best but at least some safety.

7TPorsh
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 23 2013, 04:50 PM) *

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jan 23 2013, 03:21 PM) *

Gary.... as my Dad used to say: " stromberg.gif or get off the pot!" or they'll be 6 months out! laugh.gif

Ok, I just post-2-1117899824.gif better not be more than a month...
smj
QUOTE(draganc @ Jan 23 2013, 04:54 PM) *

When I jacked up the rear with the ratchets only, I removed the tires, I used them as backup under the floor. Not the best but at least some safety.

Not uncommon, I've done that. Also used two pair of the ratchets at the same end, one set lower then the mains, just making contact at another point so that a failure wouldn't necessarily lead to a sharp jolt and kick the backup out.

Anyway thanks for the pointer Tom T, happy to wait on backorder as of the other night.
draganc
I just received my "3 ton" jacks. They look OK but a bit flimsy in comparison to my shorter 3 ton ratchets. I haven't tested them to max. weight but I would not use them for 3 ton.

I GUESS with the 914's weight they are ok to use - nice height to drop the engine, but use some backup.

If there weren't that cheap I would have returned them and picket a more "heavy-duty" version.

Click to view attachment

yeahmag
Any reason not to simply drill the ratchet kind for a backup pin?
matt5596
They were on back order so I figured I'd wait till they were available again (site to store shipping is free with in-stock items only).

I checked today and now it says Item No Longer Available. headbang.gif

Maybe not ideal but these ratchet-style stands with locking pin have caught my interest...

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/pro...05225_200305225
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.