Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got on external mic today
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ezbngreen914
Got an external mic for my gopro today. Made a test run. Still working on placement. Thought I would share.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzaVtOmUdlg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzaVtOmUdlg...eature=youtu.be

beerchug.gif
drgchapman
Where is the mic located?
ezbngreen914
QUOTE(drgchapman @ Jan 12 2013, 11:23 PM) *

its taped to the license place facing the tail pipe. I'm thinking I either need to give it more space or more foam. Pretty big sound coming from a stock 1.7 with Bursch exhaust. Loved it at first but after listening to it a couple of times I think I need to get less distortion and a smoother warmer sound. When the engine isn't reaving you can hear a rattle that I hope is just the license plate or some other non important part.
JawjaPorsche
Sky Lake Road near Sautee! One of my favorite bicycle roads!

1.7 sounds good!

beerchug.gif
ezbngreen914
QUOTE(JawjaPorsche @ Jan 12 2013, 11:33 PM) *

Sky Lake Road near Sautee! One of my favorite bicycle roads!

1.7 sounds good!

beerchug.gif

Yes sir. We still need to meet up some time soon. Drop me a line if your going to any local car shows or out for a drive. Hope all is well!
brant
any details on which mic?....

and price?

ezbngreen914
QUOTE(brant @ Jan 12 2013, 11:50 PM) *

any details on which mic?....

and price?

Audio-technica atr3350. I think it was about $20 or $30? I just listen to another video that I took today with the mic in the engine bay and it sounded better... I think haha.
drgchapman
QUOTE(ezbngreen914 @ Jan 12 2013, 09:32 PM) *

its taped to the license place facing the tail pipe. I'm thinking I either need to give it more space or more foam. Pretty big sound coming from a stock 1.7 with Bursch exhaust. Loved it at first but after listening to it a couple of times I think I need to get less distortion and a smoother warmer sound. When the engine isn't reaving you can hear a rattle that I hope is just the license plate or some other non important part.

Yeah, it sounds a little flatulent to me. Did you mount the camera to the rear window with the suction cup? Just got my GoPro as well, taking notes.....
oldschool
If your going to use one of theseClick to view attachment
oldschool
We use a pix 240 with a full sound rig Click to view attachment aktion035.gif
Trekkor
Sounds great under acceleration.

Rod knock on decel?

KT
Noodles
Really like the sound of that exhaust! I discovered a huge hole in my muffler the other day I think I know what I'll be replacing it with!
bandjoey
Like it. However. On my car it would just start me wondering what's that noise and what'll break next? biggrin.gif
ezbngreen914
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 13 2013, 11:37 AM) *

Like it. However. On my car it would just start me wondering what's that noise and what'll break next? biggrin.gif

haha, Trust me, I'm doing the same thing. I can be very paranoid about this car. Every time I drive by a brush fire and smell the smoke I worry that I'm on fire.
ezbngreen914
QUOTE(oldschool @ Jan 13 2013, 01:10 AM) *

We use a pix 240 with a full sound rig Click to view attachment aktion035.gif

Nice, I'm still trying to figure this lapel mic out. haha maybe one day
ezbngreen914
QUOTE(Trekkor @ Jan 13 2013, 02:11 AM) *

Rod knock on decel?

KT

There are some bad sounds at some points in the video. Worst if they are coming from the engine. Are you talking about the knocking at around 43 sec.? I'm hoping thats the license plate but will investigate. Who knows this "toy" might be a good diagnostic tool.
aircooledtechguy
QUOTE(ezbngreen914 @ Jan 12 2013, 08:13 PM) *

Got an external mic for my gopro today. Made a test run. Still working on placement. Thought I would share.

Cool!! I have a GoPro3 and am looking at and wondering, how you connect a mic to it. . . blink.gif Do I need a USB adapter or something??
ezbngreen914
QUOTE(drgchapman @ Jan 13 2013, 01:06 AM) *

QUOTE(ezbngreen914 @ Jan 12 2013, 09:32 PM) *

Yeah, it sounds a little flatulent to me. Did you mount the camera to the rear window with the suction cup? Just got my GoPro as well, taking notes.....

Yes, Mounted it on the rear window with the suction cup. I've also done one mounted on the passengers window inside facing forward and on the drivers side outside facing forward (I tied a piece of string onto the mount and held onto it. I just don't trust the suction cup yet although it seems to work very well). I'm also working on a mount that I can wedge into the jack point hole on the rocker. Good luck with yours, would love to see some videos.
ezbngreen914
QUOTE(aircooledtechguy @ Jan 13 2013, 12:34 PM) *

QUOTE(ezbngreen914 @ Jan 12 2013, 08:13 PM) *

Cool!! I have a GoPro3 and am looking at and wondering, how you connect a mic to it. . . blink.gif Do I need a USB adapter or something??

Not sure... I have the gopro 2 and it uses a 3.5mm mini jack.
biosurfer1
Nice sound...must be nice too, Mid January drive with the top off and short sleeved shirt on!
dlkawashima
Can you put up a pic of how you set up your Go Pro to use the external mic? I'm wondering if you modified the standard case or used a different one entirely.
ezbngreen914
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Jan 13 2013, 08:59 PM) *

Can you put up a pic of how you set up your Go Pro to use the external mic? I'm wondering if you modified the standard case or used a different one entirely.

I used the gopro hero 2 with the optional "skeleton case" with a Audio Technica atr3350. you could also drill a hole in the standard case. Ill try to post some pics tomorrow. beerchug.gif
914outlaw
Sweet. Nice sound from the Bursch mufflers. How fast were you going?
Trekkor
QUOTE(ezbngreen914 @ Jan 13 2013, 09:29 AM) *

Rod knock on decel?

KT

There are some bad sounds at some points in the video. Worst if they are coming from the engine. Are you talking about the knocking at around 43 sec.? I'm hoping thats the license plate but will investigate. Who knows this "toy" might be a good diagnostic tool.

:30-:45
:50-:59
1:05:1:11
1:25
1:35-1:49

sorry...

KT
ezbngreen914
QUOTE(Trekkor @ Jan 13 2013, 11:50 PM) *

Rod knock on decel?

KT

sorry...

KT

Damn, now you've got me worried. I made two other videos that day with the mic in other locations (in this one it was taped to the license plate). In the other two it was taped to the bumper, closer to the tail pipe on one and in the engine compartment proper in the other. I'm sure I could try to convince myself that it was the location but I think I would rather try to confirm that this is or isn't the problem before one of my Pistons trys to escape.

Any advise on how to test for this without breaking apart the engine. If this is the problem does it mean a rebuild with new rods and bearings?
ezbngreen914
QUOTE(ezbngreen914 @ Jan 14 2013, 12:45 AM) *

QUOTE(Trekkor @ Jan 13 2013, 11:50 PM) *

Rod knock on decel?

KT

sorry...

KT

Damn, now you've got me worried. I made two other videos that day with the mic in other locations (in this one it was taped to the license plate). In the other two it was taped to the bumper, closer to the tail pipe on one and in the engine compartment proper in the other. I'm sure I could try to convince myself that it was the location but I think I would rather try to confirm that this is or isn't the problem before one of my Pistons trys to escape.

Any advise on how to test for this without breaking apart the engine. If this is the problem does it mean a rebuild with new rods and bearings?

tomorrow I will check the oil for metallic essence and put a long piece of wood from my ear to the engine case while the car is running. I will also check the trunk latch. I have always wanted a big four or a six but just not yet....
mittelmotor
Nice sound! I'd also be very interested to see how the mic is hooked up, so pics please!

--Doug
ezbngreen914
QUOTE(dpires914 @ Jan 13 2013, 11:12 PM) *

Sweet. Nice sound from the Bursch mufflers. How fast were you going?

The speed limit happy11.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.