Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shift linkage adjustment
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
I must be asleep this morning because I can't find the write-up on adjusting shift linkage. I have the issue where the gate is "compressed"... Meaning that when I shift out of first to go to second the lever wants to go all the way over to fourth. There is nothing wrong with the transmission. Everything was disassembled during the body work process and fine tuning is now needed.
watsonrx13
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 13 2013, 08:46 AM) *

I must be asleep this morning because I can't find the write-up on adjusting shift linkage. I have the issue where the gate is "compressed"... Meaning that when I shift out of first to go to second the lever wants to go all the way over to fourth. There is nothing wrong with the transmission. Everything was disassembled during the body work process and fine tuning is now needed.

Here's my article that I wrote that has the shift linkage adjustment....

http://www.914world.com/specs/fwsb_replace.php

--- Rob
stugray
Plus, you have to tell us if you have a tail shift or a side shift.
The symptoms are slightly diferent.

Do you have all new bushings, cups, and balls?

Stu
bandjoey
click on dr evils name link and find about 40 pages on transmission adjustments
billh1963
QUOTE(stugray @ Jan 13 2013, 04:02 PM) *

Plus, you have to tell us if you have a tail shift or a side shift.
The symptoms are slightly diferent.

Do you have all new bushings, cups, and balls?

Stu

It's a side shift...

The car was shifting fine before the engine, shifter, etc. was removed for some bodywork. After reassembly the "shift gate" isn't quite right so I'm looking for detailed instructions.
Gint
Read all of those detailed instructions. Then do this.

Center the shifter (fore and aft). Put the shifter in 2nd gear and press it toward the left (towards the R/1st plane) and hold it there lightly. Loosen the coupler in the tunnel. Turn the shift rod (the one that goes from the coupler out the back of the car) to the right. Tighten the clamp. Works for me every time provided nothing is bent and bushings are all good. The last time I did it, I adjusted it that one time. Worked great and haven't touched it since. Actually that's the way it's gone the last three times I've done it.
billh1963
QUOTE(Gint @ Jan 13 2013, 05:37 PM) *

Read all of those detailed instructions. Then do this.

Center the shifter (fore and aft). Put the shifter in 2nd gear and press it toward the left (towards the R/1st plane) and hold it there lightly. Loosen the coupler in the tunnel. Turn the shift rod (the one that goes from the coupler out the back of the car) to the right. Tighten the clamp. Works for me every time provided nothing is bent and bushings are all good. The last time I did it, I adjusted it that one time. Worked great and haven't touched it since. Actually that's the way it's gone the last three times I've done it.

Have a picture of the coupler? Just want to make sure I'm doing this right!
Gint
It's in the tunnel right behind the shifter. You can't miss it Self explanatory as soon as you see it. I edited that procedure so re-read it. CRS strikes again.
billh1963
Thank you for the replies.... I'll give it a shot!
billh1963
Got the shifter set up the way I like it the first time! It took more time pulling the console, carpet, etc. than it did making the adjustment.

It's been a busy and productive day! driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.