Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: carbs whistling
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
last337
I got my verbs dialed in pretty darn good yesterday. I only had time for a short test drive, not long enough to pull plugs for inspection. One thing I did notice is a whistling noise coming from carbs when engine was under a load. No backfiring or popping so I'm not sure what this indicates.
Dr Evil
It may be the normal "trumpet" of carbs. Is this the first you have driven a carbed car? I have to ask, just to rule out some things.
VaccaRabite
Yeah, carbs make a lot of noise. At above 4k rpm my old webers would be howling. Fun on short drives.
last337
Yes, this is first carbed car I have driven in years and def first air cooled vehicle. I find it has a nice lope to it when idling at around 900rpm. When it comes up under load it whistles around 2500 then has a nice sound around 3k. I just want to make sure I'm not running too lean but I guess I won't know till I check plugs. I have all carbs just above falling off with mix screw and each pulling about 3.5-4 on STE reading. Like I said, it has a nice lope but still a smooth idle not shaky
bandjoey
Dellortos? They have a slot in the base that whistles unless you use a special gasket to seal it or what many do is epoxy the grove solid.
last337
QUOTE(bandjoey @ Jan 13 2013, 10:30 AM) *

Dellortos? They have a slot in the base that whistles unless you use a special gasket to seal it or what many do is epoxy the grove solid.

Nope they are empi weber 40 knockoffs
last337
Is that just the way things will sound with carbs? Is that lope normal or could it indicate a different can? I'd like to know what cam I have. Is there a way to know looking at valve train or would I have to open things up?
vw505
Ya, I was going to say some carbs just whistle, my webber 44's bark.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.