Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: When is low ride height too low?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
I just swapped out my 180lbs rears for a used set of H&R 250lbs springs...I was lifting the inside front tire and I wanted a little more in the back to help....

anyway...the car feels GREAT with the spring change clap56.gif the funny thing is, the rear end is now about 3/4" higher and I reset the ride height in the front to keep the rake I had before. Seat of the pants says it's turning better. Could I have had it too low before? Anyone have the opitimum ride height for a track/AX only car with 15" slicks?

I didn't think I had it slammed like a ricer...but come to think of it...it was pretty far down there....

Thanks in advance for the help.

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
Umm Bill..

Have the car cornerwieghted. Let the corner weights dictate where the car sits.. not the look.

I run them on the ground... but a few fast guy's out of Colorado run them 3 feet in the air...(exageration)

I want some shock travel....

B
nine14cats
Hey B,

I like it on the ground too...and I will get it corner balanced when I get a few weeks of downtime in June. I currently just have the springs on my Bilsteins without the threaded collars. I wanted to see if I liked the stiffer springs...I do!

Would Frey carry the correct perches and collars for my Bilsteins? The H&R's are a skinnier dia. spring than the welts that came out...so I had to use the perches that came with the springs....

How about the angle of the control arms in the front? I thought I needed to keep it as flat as possible.....don't tell me it's raised spindle time?...... barf.gif

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
Frey carries (used to carry) what you need. Bruce probably has them on the shelf. 2.5 inch Id springs is what you have now.

I would have measured the ride height before removing the old springs.

I like to set the fronts control arms just a little above flat.. so when they are loaded left or right... they end up flat.

B
L8Apex
I'm a rice boy. I want mine dumped to the floor. But then i realized I ran out of shock travel up front. It sure looks cool when the rims are tucked under the fenders.
Brad Roberts
You cannot beat the cool factor..until you try and drive the car.

This is why we raise the spindles to keep them on the ground.

B
nine14cats
Who does the raised spindles? What's the going rate for those? I'm still trying to save for the 930 brakes! tongue.gif But I do LOVE the stuck to the ground look on the track...

Bill P.
Brad Roberts
Its a ton of work to raise the spindles on the 914/early 911 strut. The strut tube is not the same size like a Bilstein from top to bottom. You have to wack off the bottom and add material.. then remove the same amount of material from the top that you added to the bottom.

Save your money.

It takes about 4-6 hours to raise a Bilstein spindle. It takes about 10-12 hours to raise the 914.

B
Brad Roberts
Right now.. I would have TonyC do it (especially since he is closer to you now.. Fremont/Milpitas)

I dont want to get into any more projects.

B
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(nine14cats @ May 16 2003, 01:10 PM)
Who does the raised spindles? What's the going rate for those? I'm still trying to save for the 930 brakes! tongue.gif But I do LOVE the stuck to the ground look on the track...

Bill P.

Suspension Mods
$270/pair +shipping for raised spindles on 914 struts
nine14cats
Hi Chris,

Are the struts you posted the same type of strut as the 911T struts I have on my car? I don't know if a 914-4 or 914-6/911T strut are the same thing....

Thanks,

Bill P.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(nine14cats @ May 16 2003, 12:46 PM)
Anyone have the opitimum ride height for a track/AX only car with 15" slicks?

I don't know what is optimum, but I measured the height of my car recently. The head of the bolt which holds the front crossmember to the car is 3" off the ground. That's with the spindles raised 22mm. Tires are Hoosier slicks on 7x15 rims.
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(nine14cats @ May 16 2003, 02:46 PM)
I just swapped out my 180lbs rears for a used set of H&R 250lbs springs...I was lifting the inside front tire and I wanted a little more in the back to help...

Bill,

Are you interested in selling your 180# springs? I'm currently fitting a 21mm Weltmeister sway bar on my car that has 160# springs in the rear. If it pushes, I'm going to need bigger springs.
Mueller
nine14cats Posted on May 16 2003, 01:58 PM
I don't know if a 914-4 or 914-6/911T strut are the same thing....

The /4 strut is different in that the spindle (what the hubs attach to) are different from the /6 and 911 struts (use different wheel bearings)

You'll need to send your struts off to be modified, or get another set of /6, or early 911 struts for modification.
Jeffs9146
Are you interested in selling your 180# springs? I'm currently fitting a 21mm Weltmeister sway bar on my car that has 160# springs in the rear. If it pushes, I'm going to need bigger springs.

Are you interested in selling your 160#ers?

Jeff
Aaron Cox
man, evryone is buying each others springs biggrin.gif
its a "spring fling" laugh.gif
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(Jeffs74~914 @ May 16 2003, 05:39 PM)
Are you interested in selling your 160#ers?

Jeff

Jeff,

Damn straight!

Well....I'll know in a coupla days. confused24.gif
Jeffs9146
Let me know how much with shipping to 94551!

Jeff
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(nine14cats @ May 16 2003, 01:58 PM)
Hi Chris,

Are the struts you posted the same type of strut as the 911T struts I have on my car? I don't know if a 914-4 or 914-6/911T strut are the same thing....

Thanks,

Bill P.

The modification procedure is the same, but the struts are different. Like Mike said, the spindles aren't the same.
The amount you can raise your spindles depends in part on the wheels you use, and track width. If you go too far the ball joint nut will hit the inside of the wheel.
Dave Cawdrey
Bilstein Auction
OASN, what makes these Bilstein struts/spindles "Hi-Perf"? Are these the struts Brad is refering to as "Bilstein spindles"?
Mark Henry
QUOTE(korijo @ May 16 2003, 09:59 PM)
Bilstein Auction
OASN, what makes these Bilstein struts/spindles "Hi-Perf"?  Are these the struts Brad is refering to as "Bilstein spindles"?

My billy-bobs have the same dia. on the insert.

I could be wrong, but I think the rare ones Brad was talking about have the up-sidedown strut insert.

MDB2.gif
rhodyguy
the purchaser can figure out what shipping would be. go to fedex's site. go to rates. estimate the weight or get the bathroom scale greasy, if your within 5 lbs you're safe. plug in the zips and you're good to go. it saves the seller alot of time.

kevin
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 17 2003, 03:43 AM)

I could be wrong, but I think the rare ones Brad was talking about have the up-sidedown strut insert.

All the Bilstein front inserts have an upside down design internally. What looks like a piston/shaft is merely a guide sleeve on the outside of the cylinder, and the painted part is just a housing made to fit the strut.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.