Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sail panels
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914outlaw
Does anyone know if the sail panels are fiberglass or steel? Has anyone ever tried to remove them? If so, how did it look afterwards?
thanks

IPB Image
Mike Bellis
My guess is fiberglass. Try a magnet. Looks like a lot of body work to make it right again. sad.gif
Jeff Hail
QUOTE(dpires914 @ Jan 13 2013, 08:16 PM) *

Does anyone know if the sail panels are fiberglass or steel? Has anyone ever tried to remove them? If so, how did it look afterwards?
thanks

Depends on who did them and with what material. Those might be steel but probably glass. They actually look very fluid how they flow into the quarter.
They don't look bad in my opinion and kind of grow on the car, a little Del Sol ish. It's a toss up. All depends on what you want.
SirAndy
Does anyone know if the sail panels are fiberglass or steel?

barf.gif

I've seen this kit before, i'm pretty sure it's fiberglass.

Good lord this is ugly!
icon8.gif
sixnotfour
Like False finger nails they can be removed, unfortunately who knows what was done to the OG ones, Good news they are visible in the picture.....good luck
Griffinroydonald
They are Glass and came as part of a kit. The rear spoiler came with the kit also. These can be removed but it is a lot of work. I purchased a parts car that had these same parts installed over rust repairs and bad bodywork. There was also a 944 looking front end on the car and a glass bumper in rear 916 style. sawzall-smiley.gif
Chris H.
A new trunk lid without that bondoed spoiler would make the car look much better. Start with that.

Griffinroydonald
I agree as I would replace the rear trunk and not touch the sail panels. I will give away a spoiler like this to anyone who will pick it up.
Cairo94507
That would be a nice car without the sail panels and trunk spoiler modifications.
Porsche930dude
not to mention the bumper . barf.gif
brant
That is a rayco kit
the spoiler is too

looks like your previous owner didn't install the front fenders that went with the kit
there were 3 different front bumper treatment options. (oh your rear kit bumper isn't on there also)

I used to want one so badly when I was a teenager
I spoke with the company a few times but never had the money
Nine_14
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Jan 14 2013, 05:51 AM) *

Does anyone know if the sail panels are fiberglass or steel?

barf.gif

I've seen this kit before, i'm pretty sure it's fiberglass.

Good lord this is ugly!
icon8.gif

agree.gif agree.gif
drdave427
QUOTE(Griffinroydonald @ Jan 14 2013, 09:30 AM) *

I agree as I would replace the rear trunk and not touch the sail panels. I will give away a spoiler like this to anyone who will pick it up.

I have looked everywhere for a rear spoiler just like that --- If you have one we need to talk !
And yes -- I know what everyone thinks but my car is different -- and I like it.
Chris H.
Dr Dave,

That's a great color for a Chalon. If done right many of the kits look good. I remember seeing one in VW & Porsche magazine back in the day. Looked awesome.

One the black car just remember those sail panels are attached somehow, probably with screws or fasteners. Could be messy to remove. The trunk you could just swap.

Zimms
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 14 2013, 11:41 AM) *

Dr Dave,

That's a great color for a Chalon. If done right many of the kits look good. I remember seeing one in VW & Porsche magazine back in the day. Looked awesome.

agree.gif I like them when done right. I like the 2 tones as well.

Click to view attachment
rjames
That aint right.
6freak
QUOTE(rjames @ Jan 14 2013, 11:24 AM) *

That aint right.

HIDEOUS icon8.gif
Griffinroydonald
PM sent about your new spoiler. I am glad to find someone who wants it. piratenanner.gif
Chris H.
Is the lower side valance missing on that blue/silver one?
drdave427
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 14 2013, 04:28 PM) *

Is the lower side valance missing on that blue/silver one?

I think it is there -- just black.
richardL
I had one of these kits on a parts car (I think).

I removed it - this is what it looked like after removal:

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Griffinroydonald
Yours looks much better than the one I had. They has installed over rusted panels and used steel sign post down the sides. When something didn't line up they just filled with bondo and filed to fit. I pulled all parts and put her down. sawzall-smiley.gif
bembry
Damn--that blue one looks to have been rust free under that $hit
Chris H.
And Laguna Blue... another one bites the dust.
Socalandy
Looking at the kit removed it may answer how my -6 got to this point since there was no signs of accident damage idea.gif it's a lot of work to put this back right!!!
richardL
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 16 2013, 08:19 AM) *

And Laguna Blue... another one bites the dust.

I later sold that roller, I don't think it 'bit the dust'

Chris H.
Whew! Good news.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.