Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tow Dolly or Trailer?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Bruce Allert
I wanna go to the 2005 WCC but can't trust drivin' Punkin all the way so it's either tow or trailer. Need input for which y'all think is best. I know the tow dolly is cheaper and the trailer is heavier but that's about it.

gimme yer best/worse thoughts type.gif

.....b beer.gif
qa1142
Trailer if you have the cash! Better for the car.

or for that $ you could just fix you 914 so it will make it! clap56.gif
Joe Ricard
or for that $ you could just fix you 914 so it will make it!

That is just too damn funny. I towed my new project car on adolly from Atlanta to Gautier with my Explorer. 65 MPH 70 down hill. The only thing I was concerned with was the trailer high siding the rocker panels. It was close on one gas station fill up.
SirAndy
friends don't let friends use a dolly ...

trailer her!
driving.gif Andy
J P Stein
If there is no scheduling conflict with local AXs, I can loan you my trailer. My shitbox is gonna become a trailer queen. We won't know anything about the local schedules for a few months, tho.
morph
trailer bruce
i got mine at trailer city in portland new for only 1250.00
but for 1250.00 you can mak it run right. wink.gif
if you need more info on the trailer pm me
james
GWN7
Having towed many miles with a dolly, there is nothing wrong with them.

A good dolly will cost you almost as much as a trailer.

Con: a dolly is hard to back up if you get into a tight spot.

Pro: a dolly dosen't take up much space when parked empty.

Pro: a trailer can be used to move other things or different size cars.

Con: dollys come in 3 sizes, you have to match the dolly to the size of the car. Can't put a full sized car on a small dolly. (you can put a small car on a big dolly, but it's a matter of lineing it up right.)

Having had a dolly untill it was stolen on Fathers Day, I'm going to replace it with a trailer. Why? Because I can park the trailer with a unregister car on it and not get hasseled by my stupid neibour (calling the city saying he saw rats around the porsche) same idiot called the city on several other home owners with the same complaint. He's a prime example why relatives shouldn't marry.

For the few $$ more trailer
machina
I had an open trailer made locally. It is not super heavy duty but it doesn't have to be for a <2000 lb car. Get double axels though, less sensitive to balance and of course blowout.

I had them do a drop axle so the bed would be real low and just wide enough for a 914. Its exactly 70" between fenders so I have a couple inches each side and it fits in my garage.

The outer dim of the fenders is 96" and the overall length is just less than 20'
Trekkor
I currently use a tow dolly to haul my car to every a/x event.
I used a trailer to go to Reno.
The dolly is bit shaky...I'm always afraid it's going to come loose some how. Although I've logged 1000's of dolly miles with no issues. I check the straps every hour or so.

The reason to tow:

914's are not comfortable for long rides.
Tell me they are and your just fooling yourself.
Not enough room for all my, ( and wifes ) stuff.

My truck has tons of room for *EVERYTHING*.
Room for tools, jack, tires, parts.
Inside I put food, luggage. Anything I might need.

A/C, heat, CD/stereo, cruise control, smooth and quiet.
When I get to the event I can drive like a maniac without a care in the world. That little " what if " in the back of my head is GONE, because I'm towing.

I may even tow to Sears Point on Sunday. 20 mins from home. confused24.gif

KT
Trekkor
Hmmm... idea.gif
machina
QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 10 2004, 08:40 PM)
The reason to tow:

Not enough room for all my, ( and wifes ) stuff.

My truck has tons of room for *EVERYTHING*.
Room for tools, jack, tires, parts.
Inside I put food, luggage. Anything I might need.

A/C, heat, CD/stereo, cruise control, smooth and quiet.
When I get to the event I can drive like a maniac without a care in the world. That little " what if " in the back of my head is GONE, because I'm towing.

agree.gif

I always used to drive to events, even used to fit a full set of race tires and wheels in the car with me.

Even though its a PIA to load the trailer etc, its great having the truck at the track. Tons of room for all my gear, somewhere to get out of the heat. And of course if the car breaks or worse, can just haul her home.
Trekkor
flatbed
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(trekkor @ Nov 10 2004, 07:40 PM)

KT

I've driven mine from Tulsa to San Diego, and back. Twice! I was very comfortable. If I can get the time off work (i'm planning now), I'll do it again to the WCC with a few others behind me. 20 minutes to the track is not a long trip! Napa Valley to Reno is not that long a trip.

Bruce, make the car road ready and meet me there!
Trekkor
Like I said...You're just fooling yourself. cool_shades.gif

KT
boxstr
Bruce when I get you are welcome to come over to CAMP and try out my tow dolly.
Jim and I purchased it new for $900, we have towed 914s to and from LA to PDX a couple of times. I also towed my 914-6GT replica to WCC 2004, it was never any problem.

I had a dual axle trailer, to big, hard to store and just a PITA.
CCLINHELLODOLLY
TheCabinetmaker
That's exactly the response I was expecting. Comfortable is a relative term. What's comfortable to you, may not be to me, and visa-versa. Your track prepared car does not have the ride of my street car. 14 hours on the open road in a street 914 is exciting and exilirating. Five 20 minute sessions of DE in one day wore my ass out. Apples and oranges.
SirAndy
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Nov 10 2004, 07:12 PM)
Apples and oranges.

agree.gif

i drove sean's car some 2000 miles to the MUSR lascht year.
no problem at all and we only stopped (and slept for a few hours) once ...

driving.gif Andy
URY914
The only thing wrong with a trailer is you need a place to store it.

You could rent one for a long trip.

Paul
Allan
I think it is what is confortable for you. I took mine at almost the border (Chula Vista), and brought it all the way to Bakersfield (250 Miles) without a problem. I think it depends on how far you have to go. If it was me I would go with the dolly. Put the car, front first so you don't pull the top off and go for it! But then again, I am only a member in training!!! Good luck in whatever you decide to do
Trekkor
Don't get me wrong. lol2.gif

Also, many of our State maintained roads are not the best examples of comfortable. ( don't hijack political style )

My car is set up for the smooth stuff. driving.gif

KT
Joe Ricard
3499 miles in 3 days. Either I have a steel butt or it wasn't that bad. 140lb rear springs Koni adjustables bigger torsion bars. Oh yea Recaro SRD biggrin.gif

Been told I have a nice butt from wife does that count?
URY914
Being towed behind a RV.
iamchappy
Ive driven many long distance drives in the teener Minneapolis to LA. and to Portland.
the drive was fun. " Comfortable " not, it sure wasn't like a Lincoln Town car.
I can say that I didn't find it uncomfortable.
rick 918-S
Bruce get the trailer. I built mine. single axle 4000 lb springs good 3500lb axle. I towed this thing across country many times. Built it looooowwww!!! I followed the semi's through the mountains at danm near 90 mph. tow vehicle was an F150 Ford. We forgot the trailer was hooked up.
VegasRacer
Another option is to rig up a tow bar to the teener. For 2 years I flat towed my race car to the track. Never had any problems.

My recommendation - get a trailer. If you don't like it you can sell it easily. I have owned 3 open trailers. Bought 'em used, shopped around and in the end sold them for more than I paid after a few years of use when I wanted to upgrade.
Bruce Allert
I would love to drive all the way there and Punkin would prolly make it. The longest I've gone is to Seattle & back and it was great fun & comfortable too. It's just the things that have been happening lately make me feel "yer gonna get stuck somewhere" (sounds of dueling banjo's) unsure.gif
I know, the money spent for a trailer could put many parts on the car but my problem is... I don't know which one will guarantee my making it all the way South.
I'll keep my eyes open for a good deal ( and, so far it's the offers from Craig & JP) beer.gif but, maybe I'll stumble onto something within the car that will change my mind about driving the distance. It's still smoking on decel and I'm needing to check the compression. If the comp check turns out ok then who knows golfer.gif

FOUR!!!!!

.....b

ps. thanks for all the great input guys smilie_pokal.gif
Randal
The only thing wrong with a trailer is you need a place to store it.

RIGHT, that’s the first problem you have to deal with!

My choices:

1. A big aluminum enclosed trailer that is light as possible and aerodynamic.

2. An aluminum open trailer that is light as possible.

3. A dropped axle open steel trailer

4. A tow dolly.

5. Tow bar.

I haven’t listed your normal (heavy) enclosed (air dam) trailer as they, in my opinion, take the fun out of the trip. It isn’t fun going up hills at 45mph and watching the gas gage drain when you sneak up to 65mph out in the flats. Also the wear and tear on the tow vehicle has got to be substantially more as compared to something tons lighter. But alas this is where many of us end up, as the heavy units are initially cheaper.

Of course once you’ve figured out the parking issue an enclosed trailer saves hours of work each time you go to an event. We always have car preparation, but losing loading all the “stuff” is huge; maybe even enough to offset the PITA issues noted above.

BTW I think tow dollies are great for towing. “ICE” (our Ridgeback) and I pulled the Ford Taurus, (don’t laugh it was a great car) from California to Virginia in 3.5 days and you hardly noticed that the car was behind. The only time you did noticed was on hills where the weight slowed down my old diesel. We averaged 18MPG on that trip.

Oh, don’t forget the CB on long trips – kind of like our BBS as you can ask (just about) anything you want and get answers immediately.

Also if you’re going to spend the money to buy an aluminum enclosed trailer, or any big trailer for that matter, make sure it has an aerodynamic feature on the front; otherwise your just pulling an air dam around.
SLITS
I tow them with a dolly as URY914 does - ass first! Never had a problem other than tying the steering wheel (I use a rope, jammed in the door jambs). biggrin.gif I rent them rather than own them, BUT and a BIG BUT - don't tell them yer gonna tow 'em backwards - they won't rent to ya. Idiots!!!!!! finger.gif

Trailers are nice
Bruce Allert
QUOTE(SLITS @ Nov 11 2004, 09:42 AM)
I tow them with a dolly as URY914 does - ass first!

I'd heard on this board that towing ass first tends to phuc with the top (wind wanting to rip it off ohmy.gif )

SLITS, do you tow with top on or off?

.........b
SLITS
Top on and latched - yea I make sure they are tight. Haven't lost one yet (shit now that I say that......................................,)
Bruce Allert
sorry ohmy.gif

I was thinkin' 'bout towing backwards and doesn't the front skirt come real close to scraping?

.........b
Porsche Rescue
Bruce,
Before Craig and I got our dolly, I bought a dolly, towed it to LA empty, loaded the gray 914-6, towed it back to Portland and sold the dolly for what I paid. Did it again to Sacramento and back (Rhodyguy's car).
Bruce Allert
Hey Jim,

It kinda sounds like that's prolly the way to go cuz I've seen quite a few dollys for less than $400. I'll pick yer brain & see what I need to look for (if'n ya don't mind).

......b
Porsche Rescue
Anytime. Craig and I are 914 tow dolly experts!
Get a good one, plenty of tread on the tires, not cracked from age, check/repack the wheel bearings and head south. Ad in the Oregonian or Craig's List when you get home. I first did it that way because U-Haul wanted $300 for a one-way rental!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.