Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine Case repair
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
GeorgeRud
Ouch, just got a call from my mechanic that two of the head studs on one cylinder won't torque up on my 2.7 conversion. The engine had been previously rebuilt with time serts and dilivar studs, but it seems that a couple of these have pulled as well.

Can the case still be saved? I think it may be sheeplove.gif !
pcar916
QUOTE(GeorgeRud @ Jan 14 2013, 08:47 AM) *

Ouch, just got a call from my mechanic that two of the head studs on one cylinder won't torque up on my 2.7 conversion. The engine had been previously rebuilt with time serts and dilivar studs, but it seems that a couple of these have pulled as well.

Can the case still be saved? I think it may be sheeplove.gif !

Dilavar is the problem. Use steel or ARP/Raceware. If slightly larger TimeCerts can be used it would be ok and a competent machinist will be able to tell you that. At the same time though have the trueness of the case halves tested. Lots of time the mag has warped and the case halves have to be shaved true, and new crank and counterbalance shaft bearing journals cut... back to std. preferably as long as bearings are available. I've generally been able to build up 3L or 3.2L engines though for the same cost (or a bit more) as what it takes to rebuild a 2.7 properly. Then I have an engine that lasts a lot longer between rebuilds.

The only thing I miss is the exhaust note of the 2.7L and smaller engines. There's just no duplicating it with larger displacements.

Good luck!
GeorgeRud
Yeah, I'm trying to weigh my options. The engine has RS p&c, Garretson cams, Carrera tensioners, and all the other "proper" goodies, and I do love the sound of these engines.

Sounds like it may take a tear down to see what things look like and go from there.
rick 918-S
It's likely the stud is stretched this time unless the case savers were not done right. Just my opinion buy that's where I would look.
sixnotfour
The fix is Case Savers, Pelican sells them, large coarse thread, Unlike timeserts same pitch, bigger od, The drilled out timeserts is the right size to tap for CaseSavers.

Timeserts , I have seen too short in length used that shortens the lifespan.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.