Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Oil Cooler Seal Replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
last337
I have been researching how to do this and it doesnt look impossible just seems to be a pain in the bootyshake.gif

I have found the following link to help but if anyone else has any pointers I would appreciate it. Also, I am not sure what he is talking about with regard to the two 13mm bolts on passenger side. What is that attached to?

I also a bit concerned that my bent engine bar my get in the way of this. I was going to put that on the back burner but can someone tell me if it will be easier to do that before attempting this? Maybe it will be even easier without engine bar in way if I have to take it off anyways?
Dave_Darling
You forgot to post the link.

The bent engine bar probably won't get in the way more than an unbent one would. You might get a little more clearance by removing the bar and supporting the engine on a jack stand, not really sure.

Make sure the cooler seals are what is really leaking; this job is a pain in the butt to do and you really don't want to have to do it and discover it didn't fix the problem.

Double-check the oil pressure sender; that is one of the common leaks and it can look like an oil cooler leak.

--DD
last337
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ Jan 14 2013, 09:53 AM) *

You forgot to post the link.

The bent engine bar probably won't get in the way more than an unbent one would. You might get a little more clearance by removing the bar and supporting the engine on a jack stand, not really sure.

Make sure the cooler seals are what is really leaking; this job is a pain in the butt to do and you really don't want to have to do it and discover it didn't fix the problem.

Double-check the oil pressure sender; that is one of the common leaks and it can look like an oil cooler leak.

--DD

There are two separate leaks: one coming from the sender and one coming from around the oil filter. I am assuming it is the seal above the oil filter but am waiting on a new filter to do a change and see if (fingers crossed) it was just the o-ring on the oil filter.

Here is the link I forgot to add

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...ooler_seals.htm
914itis
agree.gif with Dave. I spent a few hours changing the seal and to find out it was the oil pressure switch on top of the engine. I has to use some plumbing paste on the switch and the leak was gone .
last337
QUOTE(914itis @ Jan 14 2013, 09:58 AM) *

agree.gif with Dave. I spent a few hours changing the seal and to find out it was the oil pressure switch on top of the engine. I has to use some plumbing paste on the switch and the leak was gone .

Okay, I think I am confused. I know the oil temp sender on the bottom of the sump but where is the oil pressure sender switch? Are you talking about the switch next to the distributor? How would I even get to that thing?
914itis
Yes , next to te dizzy and it's easy to get to with a deep socket.
last337
Wow, that is way easier to do than the cooler seals! You just pulled it and put some pipe dope on it and that was it?
914itis
QUOTE(last337 @ Jan 14 2013, 11:54 AM) *

Wow, that is way easier to do than the cooler seals! You just pulled it and put some pipe dope on it and that was it?

Yep , that's it!
last337
Thanks guys! I will be doing this tonight! I cant believe I was about to try the cooler seals without trying this first. I can tell there is a mess around the sending unit but never suspected it could leak the amount of oil I am seeing which is about a 4 inch spot after idling for 30 mins or so when tuning carbs.

914itis
Check the seal on the filler neck as well .
last337
QUOTE(914itis @ Jan 14 2013, 12:09 PM) *

Check the seal on the filler neck as well .

How do I check that? Wouldnt that be easier to detect since it is attached above the tin?
last337
Well I checked the oil pressure gauge and there was oil all surrounding it under tin. I put some pipe dope on it and I see no more oil coming out around it. Unfortunately I still do see a puddle on ground after running. I hope this stops otherwise the cooler will need seals changed too I suppose sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.