Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn signal does not work
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
juliomagdaleno
I just purchased a 1974 porsche 914 and am having problems with the turn signals. The left turn signal does not work but the right does. When i use the turn signal to the left, i can not hear the relay, but when it is to the right i do hear the relay. When i use the hazard lights, all the lights do blink. Is the problem with the relay or steering column. I did check all the bulbs to make sure they all work. Any help is appreciated.
904svo
check fuse #5 it may be dirty contacts.
jsayre914
I had a lot of trouble with my signals, turned out to be the socket that the bulb pushes against. It was rotten barf.gif
Spoke
See the attached schematic for the turnsignal circuit in the 914.

If all lights flash when the hazard switch is pulled, then lamps and most of the wiring is ok. This leaves the wire to the steering column and/or the turnsignal stalk itself.

Try to find the BK/WH (black/white?) wire going from the hazard switch to the steering column and look for bad wires or connections. Hopefully its the wires and not the turnsignal stalk.
etcmss
are the wires to the turn signal swapped with the normal lights on wire?
when these are swapped the lights and turn signals don't work right.
Gary
juliomagdaleno
QUOTE(904svo @ Jan 14 2013, 12:03 PM) *

check fuse #5 it may be dirty contacts.

Checked the fuse, it was good.
juliomagdaleno
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jan 14 2013, 12:08 PM) *

I had a lot of trouble with my signals, turned out to be the socket that the bulb pushes against. It was rotten barf.gif

Changed out all light bulbs and still have the problem.
juliomagdaleno
QUOTE(Spoke @ Jan 14 2013, 01:00 PM) *

See the attached schematic for the turnsignal circuit in the 914.

If all lights flash when the hazard switch is pulled, then lamps and most of the wiring is ok. This leaves the wire to the steering column and/or the turnsignal stalk itself.

Try to find the BK/WH (black/white?) wire going from the hazard switch to the steering column and look for bad wires or connections. Hopefully its the wires and not the turnsignal stalk.

This was a lot of help. Was able to determine it was the signal switch on the column. Lucky for me i have an extra parts car and made the switch. My turn signals are now working.

Thanks for everyone on the help.
Cap'n Krusty
A lotta nice answers, but most responders didn't READ the question. Given the facts stated in the initial post, the turn signal switch appears to be the logical answer. I'd first look at the connection below the column, then the switch itself.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.