Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 7x15 ATS vs 5.5x15 Pedrinis
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
draganc
I have a decent set of 7x15 ATS rims and a set of fudged up 5.5x15 Pedrinis.

Both weight about the same, 14.5 lbs per rim.

How does a wider rim effect the ride (regular street riding, maybe a auto-x here and there) with let's say 195/60R15?

I will have stock front and rear sway bars installed and have a coil-over setup with Bilsteins.

Thanks for your inputs!
Dragan

Mike Bellis
How do you like to drive?

I would run the wider rims with wider tires...
draganc
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 14 2013, 05:15 PM) *

How do you like to drive?

I would run the wider rims with wider tires...

Why the wider rims with the wider tires? The way they tire "fold"?

As in regards to my driving, fast it is a Porsche after all. Is it?
mittelmotor
Hi Dragan,

I'd go with a 205/50-15 if you run the ATS wheels. The rule of thumb for handling is to go with the widest wheel in the recommended range..it gets the sidewall more or less vertical where it can best handle cornering loads. As for ride quality, dropping a few psi will have an impact you can feel; you probably don't want to go any lower than 29-30 psi cold. Here's my car with the 205/50-15s on the 15x7 ATS wheels (in front). Rears are 225/50-15s on the same wheels. I like to set mine right around 30 psi.

--Doug
Mike Bellis
Wide tire on skinny rims handle weird sometimes. You can get a wider tire to fit better on the wider rim. You can fit a wider tire on the 7" than you can on the 5.5".
draganc
Thanks fellows!

Doug, what tires are you using and do you recall your rim offset? I just measured my wheels and they should be +27mm. they look just like yours, however, they are 4 lug.

Thanks,
Dragan

draganc
PS: what's your suspension setup? Looks very slik! Any tire rubbing at the rear?
mittelmotor
Hi Dragan,

I'm not sure about the offset, but the number 7155 is cast into one of the spokes, so 55 mm?

Tires are Toyo Proxes RA1 R-comps, sticky and short-lived but just the ticket for a weekend fun car driven in typically balmy temps.

Suspension is 21-mm torsion bars up front with the through-the-body 15-mm anti-roll bar; rear has 200-lb springs on threaded perches. Shocks are Koni yellow adjustables. Rear tires on these wheel barely fit; needed a lot of negative camber, aggressive roll of the fender lip and a slight pull (maybe 1/2") of each fender. It rubbed just slightly on the left side until I coaxed the fender out another 1/16"!!!
I love the staggered look; so appropriate for a V-8 car!

Are you sure your 4-spoke ATS wheels are 15x7? I thought they were only made in 15x5.5.
mittelmotor
Here's a shot of the right rear, taken from behind the car. It's close! But with the negative camber gain through suspension travel, it swings inside the lip without a problem. There's maybe 1/2" clearance from the tire's inside sidewall to the structure.
Dasnowman
QUOTE(mittelmotor @ Jan 14 2013, 09:36 PM) *

Here's a shot of the right rear, taken from behind the car. It's close! But with the negative camber gain through suspension travel, it swings inside the lip without a problem. There's maybe 1/2" clearance from the tire's inside sidewall to the structure.

Your car is quite the sleeper! lol
mittelmotor
QUOTE(Dasnowman @ Jan 14 2013, 10:30 PM) *

QUOTE(mittelmotor @ Jan 14 2013, 09:36 PM) *

Your car is quite the sleeper! lol

Thanks! Run silent, run deep. Even kept the 2.0 badge on the back. smile.gif
draganc
QUOTE(mittelmotor @ Jan 14 2013, 09:30 PM) *

Hi Dragan,

I'm not sure about the offset, but the number 7155 is cast into one of the spokes, so 55 mm?

Tires are Toyo Proxes RA1 R-comps, sticky and short-lived but just the ticket for a weekend fun car driven in typically balmy temps.

Suspension is 21-mm torsion bars up front with the through-the-body 15-mm anti-roll bar; rear has 200-lb springs on threaded perches. Shocks are Koni yellow adjustables. Rear tires on these wheel barely fit; needed a lot of negative camber, aggressive roll of the fender lip and a slight pull (maybe 1/2") of each fender. It rubbed just slightly on the left side until I coaxed the fender out another 1/16"!!!
I love the staggered look; so appropriate for a V-8 car!

Are you sure your 4-spoke ATS wheels are 15x7? I thought they were only made in 15x5.5.

Hi Dough,

Thanks for additional information! I have also 5 spoke rims but a 4/130 lug setup.
I just checked the rims, they have also the casting 7155 on the side.
I measured 5 1/8” from the top edge to the flange. The wheel is 8 1/8” side-to-side and 7” on the inside where the tire sits.

Anyway, I’m having a old 195/60R15 mounted at tire shop today for fitting. I’ll post some picture.

Dragan
mittelmotor
I'd be interested to see a pic. I think your wheels are very rare!
bernbomb914
I run 205 15 with 6" offset on the rear and barley clear the fender I have 5.5: on the front. the car handles very nice
draganc
Gents,

I got some used 195/60R15 mounted yesterday, for test/fitting purpose. The setup fits nicely at the rear, I haven't tried the front yet.

There is about a inch between tire and body. However, I still have to adjust the height of my coil-over-shock set-up and compensate for the lack of engine/tranny weight.

At least the car is not on jacks anymore!

Dragan

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
mittelmotor
Looks good, Dragan. They fit nicely! If they're too inboard when the car sits at normal ride height, you could always go with a spacer, but I don't think you'll have to.
draganc
QUOTE(mittelmotor @ Jan 16 2013, 04:39 PM) *

Looks good, Dragan. They fit nicely! If they're too inboard when the car sits at normal ride height, you could always go with a spacer, but I don't think you'll have to.

Thanks! I think I will stick to the 195 size, I don't feel like pulling the fenders.

I think we should open a 914 with ATS only chapter........ beerchug.gif
davep
I had a set of 5-bolt about 1980, and really liked them. I ran 185/70 CN36 on them. Great handling, but the gas mileage suffered compared to stock. I think the 185 to 205 range is ideal for them.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.