Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New GKN-Lobro 914 CV Joints/Axles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914Sixer
Ok, I have heard back from GKN about POSSIBLY making a run of CV joints/axles for us on a group buy. No price information at this point. GKN said they would have to run the parts through the racing operation. I am waiting on hearing from members that might have the Lobro part number for the CV Joint. Eric Shea may be able to hook us up with suppliers that might buy enough to help us make it possible.
hydroliftin
I'm in for four, maybe more if the price is reasonable.
ChrisFoley
Lobro p/n for 914 CVs is: 7 153 10 01 99 004.
Cupomeat
I'd probably buy 4 joints or 2 axles.
Niklas
I'd probably buy 4 joints or 2 axles.
stugray
I would probably be in for four. Depending on price.

Stu
QUOTE(stugray @ Jan 15 2013, 07:20 AM) *

I would probably be in for four. Depending on price.

Stu

same
brant
probably
rgolia
same here
dangrouche
dependning on price, four units.
Tom_T
FYI - depending on price & OE replacement availability, I'd probably do both axles with the 2 CVs each (4 CVs) as 2 units.
914Sixer
Sent information to GKN this evening. I will post what I get back from them.
Cairo94507
never mind - sorry.
euro911
I'd be in for 4 for my wife's car popcorn[1].gif
mepstein
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ Jan 15 2013, 11:27 PM) *

Assuming Scotty tells me I need them, I would be in for 4.

Are 6's the same as 4's?
Since you are going 3.2 you might want to consider early 911 cv's with sway away axles. Probably similar price and stronger.
Cairo94507
Ahhhh...excellent thought. Thanks Mark.
Eric_Shea
6's are the same except... the spline count. (odd... same issue with the front torsion bars).

So, to keep a 6 stockish you would simply need to find a pair of standard 914 axles for these.

Again, the CV's are identical in size etc.

Mark's right though. With a 3.2 I'd look for a 108mm setup with Sway-a-Way axles.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 16 2013, 07:23 AM) *

6's are the same except... the spline count. (odd... same issue with the front torsion bars).

So, to keep a 6 stockish you would simply need to find a pair of standard 914 axles for these.

Again, the CV's are identical in size etc.

Mark's right though. With a 3.2 I'd look for a 108mm setup with Sway-a-Way axles.

One thing not mentioned so far in this nor Mark's other topic on these CVs, is that Porsche (& VW) could've spec'ed different strengths of steel for these parts, based on the expected stresses from the respective engines' power & torque output.

This is the same thing we see every day with bolts used in different applications, where some are high strength & others not.

Perhaps - just perhaps - the steel used in one part is differentiated by non-compatible splines, threads, etc. - so that someone doesn't get them mixed up. I'm not saying this is necessarily the case on what Eric is suggesting, but it might be & is worth looking into further before swapping parts.

The T-1 VW motors turned out much less power than the t-4, & the H-6's in turn put out more than T-4s, etc. While you may not have a catastrophic failure in your CVs/axles if using a different one, you may get far less life out of the parts.

I have the OE 914 CVs in my 73 914-2.0 which had 14 years & 172k of not easy use with nary a problem (before she got whacked & put up in my garage).

Whereas, others I know personally who had used T-1 CVs as more economical replacements back in the `70's-80's after track damage to their originals, & they typically got 1/4 - 1/2 the life out of T-1 CVs vs. OE 914 CVs.

So I'm suggesting those using T-1 in 914 or 914 in 911/914-6 to go in with open eyes that there may be other differences in the materials used which are not visible to the naked eye, a set of calipers, etc.

This is the same sort of thing we've had "heated discussions" with general contractors for years who try to cut corners - & add to their profits - by ordering structural steel, bolts/nuts & other connectors is lesser grades of steel, and then arguing that "it's the same size as [you] spec'd" - but it's not the same grade of steel as our structural engineer spec'd! I've seen this happen for over 43 years now! dry.gif

Ergo, when my Porsche mechanic of similarl 40-50 years of experience in 914s & other Porsches, VWs, etc. - I do trust his judgement & wealth of knowledge when he tells me that the Type IV CVs are stronger than Type I CVs. I don't know his opinion on 911 axles & torsion bars, but would certainly check them out down to the rating of steel &/or other materials used before assuming a swap would be straight across equivalent.
shades.gif
Eric_Shea
You've got too much time on your hands my friend... biggrin.gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 16 2013, 08:52 PM) *

You've got too much time on your hands my friend... biggrin.gif

I just type fast! biggrin.gif
curt914
HI Folks

Did anything ever come about in regards to this possible group buy?

Did I miss it?

Even if no group buy, are these parts available to buy?

Curt

'73 914
Central Coast CA

914Sixer
Nothing happened. Porsche dealers now have complete new axles available. Shop around on line. I have seen them as cheap as $275. Individual CV's are NLA.
patssle
New axles with or without the CV joints??
914Sixer
Complete axles with CV joints. Plug and play. Just add stub axle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.