Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: trans input shaft seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
machina
Pulled the tranny to change leaking seal. Really masacred the old one even though I had a seal puller. (also put a nice scratch in the bore) mad.gif

Anyway I used the guide tube to seat the seal evenly but it is not as deep as the old one which was almost flush with the case edge.

Do I need to tap it in more?

Also, the spring came out of the old one and it was all the way inside the tranny (on the shaft of course) Had a second of OMG but was able to fish it out.
ChrisFoley
If it interferes with screwing the guide tube down tightly then you should tap it in a little further.
TheCabinetmaker
Just did this last week. Purchased a new seal from my local P-car shop. Got the tranni out and the new one looked different from the old one. Called them and found I had an original seal. It has a lip on it that will let it only go so far in. Not available anymore. Press it in till it is flush with case that surounds it. Don't push it too far, as it will end up on the shaft where you pulled the spring from.
McMark
agree.gif
I just did it too! Put it in enough that you can bolt down the guide without interference and call it done.
machina
thanks guys,

the old one looked OK before I ripped it out of there, but it was leaking like a faucet.

Anyway, I'm getting good at pulling the tranny, starter, CV's, exhaust , cables, etc....... wacko.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.