Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Main wiring Looms
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Originality and History
914work
So This one has puzzled me for a while idea.gif
In different MY cars the loom had different "features" or options ..
For instance certain cars had a sub- R. window defrost loom routed thru this snorkle.

I think that the tape bands denoted for which vehical & what options this particular loom was intended.

Is there a legend somewhere that defines this "feature" or form of ID? shades.gif
JeffBowlsby
My chassis harness ID is a work in progress, but I have a high level of confidence in it to date. It can be found here: http://bowlsby.net/914/WiringHarnesses/ and is attached.

I have no information that the tape bands on the double grommet (snorkel tube) mean anything.

PS the rear window defroster circuits were an optional add on, not part of the chassis harness. Routing the power and groud wires through the double grommet was the way to connect them at the relay board

914werke
So Jeff you are suggesting that the defrost wiring was installed post the the main harness installation?

Im not so sure.....
JeffBowlsby
Thats my thinking, what are your thoughts Rich?

The rear window defroster cables are a separate part number and plug into the various relay board, window and switching separately. These were factory options so they were installed on the assembly line, but that would be easy enough to do.
Peashooter
My 914-6 came with a rear window defroster and the wiring for it is part of the main harness. I believe if the dealer installed it, there was a separate harness available, but not sure about that.
914Sixer
Rear window was made into the 914-6 harness. I know this from the two NOS -6 harnesses I had. It was not made into the -4 harness as Jeff said.
JeffBowlsby
Did all /6 have rear window defrosters MarK?
IronHillRestorations
No, all 6's did not come with a rear defroster
914Sixer
The harness was in the wiring BUT they were tied back unless the heated back window was installed.
JeffBowlsby
Thats interesting. Some of the /4s have the wiper relay wire taped to the harness. So all /6 harnesses have the rear window defroster wiring and it is taped to the main harness...good to know. The wiring includes branches up to the dash for the switch and ground and to the relay board for power. I wonder how those branches are integrated with the harness? Maybe they are just taped? I am pretty sure there were two /6 chassis harnesses, 70-71 and 72. I wonder if they both had the defroster wiring?
Cairo94507
Wow! That is good to know. I have a nicely restored (thank you Jeff) defroster harness for the perfect condition defroster window for my Six. My Six did not have a defroster window but it will when it is put together.

I have also been able to purchase a brand new complete NOS Six wiring harness for my car - still in the factory box. I will make sure that Scotty B knows this and we will see.

Thanks,
Michael
914Sixer
Yes, there were two -6 harnesses that I know about :
914.612.019.10 70-71
914.612.018.13 72
However I have found a 3rd unidentified harness, I am guessing in might be European version. I no longer have my old paper parts book to verify. Anybody have the paper parts book to look this up?
sixnotfour
I have and will, There is a euro harness, Over the years most for sale were euro spec.

Do you have the engine harness also ??
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.