Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: sun visor installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jdlmodelt
can someone post a picture of the sun visors installed on a 72?
jdlmodelt
bump! You mean there isn't a soul online here today that can tell me how to install my sun visors on my 72?
JawjaPorsche
Pretty straight forward. You need mounting clips and screws. Install center clip first, slide in sun visor and put outside clip on and install. The visors go in the clips and you gently tighten down adjustment screws so it will stay up when not in use. Visor with the mirror goes on the passenger side.
Tom_T
I don't have pix, but it's the same for all MYs......so pix or any 914 or in person will do, not hard to do....

The one with the map pocket goes on driver side - pocket side up, the other with mirror/cover-flap on passenger side;

install the far side swivels/pins with proper phillips head screws to top corners of windscreen frame, & center fixed holder/pins;

then swing out the outer pins & loosen the small phillips head screws in the clamps in the pin-receiver-holes at the outer top edge of the visors, slide onto the pins & tighten the set-screws enough to hold, but loose enough to slide & swivel on the pins;

then install the inboard end pins into the visors the same way, then you'll need to play around with the length they extend out to allow for removal to swing out to the side window position, then tighten enough to hold but still swivel without the pin sliding back into the visors' holes.

This may take some tries & adjustments to get set-up right, & periodically over time with use.

I did this from memory, so hopefully it's all correct, but improvise if I'm off a bit, cuz I get the "half-zymers" sometimes! biggrin.gif

If you don't have them yet, go online to the Porsche website - to the Classics section at documents & download the free pdf 914 PET parts manual file, buy a Haynes repair manual for the 914, & buy a Porsche factory service manual on CD from AA & use on your computer &/or print them out &put into binders for shop reference (or buy a paper version which is costly).

Hope this helps!
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 15 2013, 09:15 AM) *

I don't have pix, but it's the same for all MYs......so pix or any 914 or in person will do, not hard to do....

The one with the map pocket goes on driver side - pocket side up, the other with mirror/cover-flap on passenger side;

install the far side swivels/pins with proper phillips head screws to top corners of windscreen frame, & center fixed holder/pins;

then swing out the outer pins & loosen the small phillips head screws in the clamps in the pin-receiver-holes at the outer top edge of the visors, slide onto the pins & tighten the set-screws enough to hold, but loose enough to slide & swivel on the pins;

then install the inboard end pins into the visors the same way, then you'll need to play around with the length they extend out to allow for removal to swing out to the side window position, then tighten enough to hold but still swivel without the pin sliding back into the visors' holes.

This may take some tries & adjustments to get set-up right, & periodically over time with use.

I did this from memory, so hopefully it's all correct, but improvise if I'm off a bit, cuz I get the "half-zymers" sometimes! biggrin.gif

If you don't have them yet, go online to the Porsche website - to the Classics section at documents & download the free pdf 914 PET parts manual file, buy a Haynes repair manual for the 914, & buy a Porsche factory service manual on CD from AA & use on your computer &/or print them out &put into binders for shop reference (or buy a paper version which is costly).

Hope this helps!

I got this car unassembled and the PO put new vinyl liners in so I couldn't see where things went before very easy. Plus I was expecting the visor to swing to the side and it appears as though this design doesn't do that? so that threw me off a bit.
thanks!
Eric_Shea
I've asked Gint to come over and do it for you. He has a Phillips head screwdriver. Hang tight. biggrin.gif
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 16 2013, 08:14 AM) *

I've asked Gint to come over and do it for you. He has a Phillips head screwdriver. Hang tight. biggrin.gif

Hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Thanks Eric. beerchug.gif
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(jdlmodelt @ Jan 16 2013, 11:43 AM) *

QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 16 2013, 08:14 AM) *

Hahahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa! Thanks Eric. beerchug.gif

Seriously though...everything about this project has been a mystery and I have been like a detective looking thru boxes of parts and service manuals and internet postings to determine how to put it back together.
Dave_Darling
The stock visors do not swing over to the side. There have been setups modified to do that, but they are quite uncommon.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.