Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bernie Bergmann Turbo Kit
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
McMark
I was flipping through an old Excellence from 1990 and came across this ad. Hard to believe that they sold zero kits. Anyone out there seen one?

The 'cheap' kit was $1495 in 1990, which when accounting for inflation would be $2500 today (according to The Internet®). Wonder what turbo it is.... idea.gif
Chris Pincetich
popcorn[1].gif
beerchug.gif
euro911
Check with CB Performance. Click Here

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
DBCooper
Bernie Bergman... Fifteen-twenty years ago there was a story about a guy pulling into parking lot behind Bernie's shop, seeing him out back "clearancing" a stroker motor on an engine stand by revving it up to 4000, back to 2000, up to 4000. It evidently had a slight knock on startup, case not ground quite enough for the crank swing.

Oh, sorry, what was the question again?
Bleyseng
A guy on this site years ago was trying to get one running again.
Chris H.
You can't turbo a 914.
Ferg
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 15 2013, 02:33 PM) *

You can't turbo a 914.

Took 4 posts, but Thank You biggrin.gif
Chris H.
beerchug.gif Felt pretty good.
rtalich
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 15 2013, 01:33 PM) *

You can't turbo a 914.

Says who?......... piratenanner.gif aktion035.gif
Zimms
QUOTE(rtalich @ Jan 15 2013, 06:47 PM) *

You can't turbo a 914.

Any in car shots?
MrLeeS
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 15 2013, 02:33 PM) *

You can't turbo a 914.

Funny, thats what I heard too. So i put 40k+ miles on this:
Click to view attachment
rtalich
QUOTE(Zimms @ Jan 15 2013, 03:58 PM) *

QUOTE(rtalich @ Jan 15 2013, 06:47 PM) *

You can't turbo a 914.

Any in car shots?

Not yet... Soon I hope :-)
iamchappy
Yes you can..... biggrin.gif
get off my lawn
I spoke to Bernie about 10 or 15 years ago.
he told me he lost money on every turbo kit he sold because of all the bench racers and tire kickers. he had to spend countless hours answering phone calls and talking to potential cuistomers who never bought anything. In the end he threw it all in a dumpster and said good riddance.

And ferg's right, you can't turbo a 914.

McMark
Just to prove Rob's big ass turbo motor does fit in a stock engine bay...
Click to view attachment

And since we're sharing turbo pics...
Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
MSDS turbo kit;
last337
Just out of curiosity, why do you say you can't turbo a 914? stirthepot.gif
Chris H.
It's an old joke...don't remember how it started..probably an "expert"saying there was some mechanical or engineering limitation that prevented a type 4 from being turbocharged. Used to come up frequently. I never got to say it first until today!!!! (I'm slow)

There have been several REALLY nice Type 4 turbo cars BTW. The one that comes to mind is nein 14's.
DBCooper
There are various stories, but I remember Jake Raby saying it on the ShopTalkForms T4 board more than ten years ago. There was a contingent of Europeans who were turboing their engines and using 103 and 106 barrels, getting huge horsepower, but needing to five and six stud the heads to keep them sealed. Jake thought that practice was unacceptable so answered turbo questions with "you can't turbo a T4." How it got to 914's I'm not sure but Jake has a pretty strong personality so it became kind of a joke on STF to repeat that to any newby who asked turbo questions. The guys who repeated it most often were those Europeans who'd turboed their cars. They thought it was hilarious.
draganc
I think those turbo engines have been photoshop-ed.

:-)
rhodyguy
gotta love the 2 techs in jeff's post. sandals!!! muttonchops are, were, groovy.
Jake Raby
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jan 15 2013, 06:49 PM) *

There are various stories, but I remember Jake Raby saying it on the ShopTalkForms T4 board more than ten years ago. There was a contingent of Europeans who were turboing their engines and using 103 and 106 barrels, getting huge horsepower, but needing to five and six stud the heads to keep them sealed. Jake thought that practice was unacceptable so answered turbo questions with "you can't turbo a T4." How it got to 914's I'm not sure but Jake has a pretty strong personality so it became kind of a joke on STF to repeat that to any newby who asked turbo questions. The guys who repeated it most often were those Europeans who'd turboed their cars. They thought it was hilarious.

I wasn't the one who started it.. It was on the original "Club" site first then it was carried over the STF. We've built numerous Turbo T4 engines over the years and made over 400HP on pump gas, but those days are long gone.

Just figured I'd add that :-)
tadink
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 16 2013, 08:59 AM) *

gotta love the 2 techs in jeff's post. sandals!!! muttonchops are, were, groovy.

So could you tell the 'car guys' by their black toe nails from dropping stuff on their toes all the time??? Seems an odd choice of footwear for that environment!!! LOL
McMark
Wasn't it Jenny's brother who started it...?
Jake Raby
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 16 2013, 05:08 PM) *

I think so, but that was a long damn time ago.. Too many arguments since then to remember the details.
sixnotfour
QUOTE(tadink @ Jan 16 2013, 05:08 PM) *

So could you tell the 'car guys' by their black toe nails from dropping stuff on their toes all the time??? Seems an odd choice of footwear for that environment!!! LOL

Ha, they are southern CA.
Dr Evil
popcorn[1].gif
euro911
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 16 2013, 06:34 PM) *
QUOTE(tadink @ Jan 16 2013, 05:08 PM) *
Ha, they are southern CA.
I have to keep reminding my nephew to wear real shoes in the shop slap.gif
krk
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 16 2013, 05:08 PM) *

This is my recollection as well. But there are occasionally errors digging in the memory bits.... ;-)

--krk.
oldschool
Click to view attachment
oldschool
Click to view attachment
oldschool
Click to view attachment
DBCooper
COOL PHOTOS!!! This is my younger son's high school car with a Sweep the Floor turbo he put together:

IPB Image

It was only together a few weeks and he was still tuning it when a policeman followed him, evidently trying to figure out what all had gone on in that engine compartment. The motor shot a three foot flame out the exhaust and scared the shit out of the cop, who gave him a fix-it ticket for a modified exhaust. He was a poor college student so a whole new exhaust was out the question and that was the last of the turbo motor.... until the car got the Subaru. But that's a whole different story...

Eric_Shea
Cap'n started it.
Chris H.
Wait, we're not going to stop saying it are we?
DBCooper
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 17 2013, 06:41 AM) *

Cap'n started it.

Jeez, blame everything on the Cap'n. Good thing he gives as good as he takes.
Jonathan Livesay

You can't turbo a 914.

Can too.

IPB Image
nsr-jamie
Does anyone sell an actual complete bolt on kit for the 914? Turbos seem to be popular for air cooled cars in North America (with Beetles mostly) but it has not really caught on here in Japan....the old air cooled guys still prefer a big bore motor with 48mm webers.
Rand
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 17 2013, 06:41 AM) *

Cap'n started it.

Anything that can get a rouse from Jake and Capn in the same thread is gold.

Jake can't turbo anything, and Capn cant fix shit. Lol. (If you don't know that's kidding, go back to Scotty's kindergarten class.)
Now if we could get them both on the same build, it would sell a million DVDs if there still was such a thing (monetize via Youtube? biggrin.gif )
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Chris H. @ Jan 15 2013, 06:43 PM) *

It's an old joke...don't remember how it started..probably an "expert"saying there was some mechanical or engineering limitation that prevented a type 4 from being turbocharged.

It was a tech Q&A letter to "european car" magazine. The "knowledgeable" editor responded pretty much with "you can't turbo a 914". This was at a time that SammyG had already built and sold a turbo 914 (single draw-through carb setup), Jenny's brother Jeff was in the middle of building up a D-jet turbo 914, and Evill Ed was I think also working on his CIS turbo 914. Lots of discussion on the Rennlist forum about that.

Someone wrote back to the mag, mentioning the above setups, and the response was fairly mocking. The carb setup was too simple and stupid, the others weren't done yet, blah blah blah blah.

It became a running joke, every time anyone mentioned turbocharging a 914...

--DD
Mikey914
Technically none of the motors were tre 914's. They have type 2 motors (or at least doghouses) or Subies,
so you can't turbo a 914 stirthepot.gif stirthepot.gif stirthepot.gif

Dave_Darling
Type IV motors in 914s, not Type II.

--DD
daniel_best1
Im in london and own brand new never used only run on a bench 2276 blow thru bernie bergmann turbo with dell orto carbs,,I bought from someone who imported it from california to use in his speedster that he planned to build but he never got round to it cause of other problems,,I now have it to go into a custom state of the art buggy,maybe put it into a speedster later..there is an exact same engine in a green speedster on youtube.
jimkelly
turbo
Maltese Falcon
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ Jan 15 2013, 06:26 PM) *

MSDS turbo kit;

Maltese Falcon on the left Blu Kyle on the right, in my first shop in
Mar Vista.
Many type four kits sold/installed in those early days .
You can't turbo a 914, (surely not phrased by Greg Brown/Les Bidrawn) but our kits sure did put Msds on the map!
The pressurized Bergman kits were ok as long as the carb throttle shafts were o-ringed.
Sandals are still cool in So Cal !
Marty
get off my lawn
QUOTE(McMark @ Jan 16 2013, 06:08 PM) *

Nope. It was Dave Darling who first told me you can't turbo a type 4 because it would run too hot and drop valve seats. IIRC that was on the renegade site.

That was a really long time ago and it got turbo'd and never got that hot or dropped a valve seat.

Dave_Darling
biggrin.gif

--DD
Maltese Falcon
Click to view attachment
QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Jan 16 2013, 09:59 AM) *

The tech on the left would hook you up with one of these 911-Punisher kits , and the tech on the right would have it installed in a day. Or you could have one shipped as well. The beer can on the ignition coil was back from the day as well.
Marty
FourBlades

Fun thread.

"You can't turbo a 914" falls into the same category as "That's not a real Porsche"

The real 914 people just laugh and keep on enjoying our cars.

John
moggy

You can't turbo a 914.

You also can't supercharge a 914 beerchug.gif

IPB Image
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.