Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Welding 101
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ematulac
Question: Can I use a blowtorch to weld a broken metal bracket back together? Do I need to use solder and primer?

A metal bracket that goes between my muffler and my exhaust pipe broke. Nothing major, but it occasionally makes my car sound like it's rattling apart.
John Kelly
If you mean an oxy-acetylene torch...yes, providing you have the right size tip, and you know how to gas weld. A mig welder would probably be a little easier to use for this. Any muffler shop should be able to do it very quickly. Tell them you only have $20 to spend and see what happens.

John www.ghiaspecialties.com
mattillac
go take a welding class at your local junior college. use all thier equipment and stuff to fix whatever. or just use duct tape and zip ties.
DipShit
If it's 18 guage I'd arc it. If it's 20-24 guage I'd recommend a wire feeder.
ematulac
I figured I could find a local muffler shop to do it for me quick and cheap. I was going to be under the car again tomorrow so I was hoping I could do it myself while I was under there.

I don't have any welding equipment, and I don't *expect* to be doing a lot of welding in the future, so I was wondering if I could get the stuff I need and do the stuff I need to do without spending a whole lot of money.

I have zero experience welding, so if trying to fix the bracket myself is going to be expensive or more trouble than it's worth, I'll just find a local shop to do it.

welder.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.