Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Has anyone bought these seats from AA?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
billh1963
I need to recover the seats in the green car to bring the interior up to the standrads of the new carpet kit and new paint. I could buy the kit to redo them (and take forever to do the work and risk screwing up) or just buy seats already done. Has anyone bought these seats?

Ebay ad for seats
DBCooper
My local auto upholstery shop charged $450 for the same thing. Instead of the "genuine" German vinyl they used "genuine" VW basketweave and a heavy non-German vinyl. If you have a concours car, fine, buy those. If not then getting yours re-done locally will be a lot cheaper. And if you absolutely HAVE to have "genuine" German vinyl the buy it at World Upholstery and have your local shop use it, still cheaper by half.
flash914
On in the left picture looks loose or the foam is breaking down. That is one thing about doing it yourself you get to fix all the little problems, add seat heaters or more support. Gordon
reharvey
I'm redoing two seats using World Upholstering material. They look great and are good quaility. The seats are harder to redo then most people think so if you don't have any experience with upholstering I'd hire it out.
Tom_T
QUOTE(DBCooper @ Jan 16 2013, 10:56 AM) *

My local auto upholstery shop charged $450 for the same thing. Instead of the "genuine" German vinyl they used "genuine" VW basketweave and a heavy non-German vinyl. If you have a concours car, fine, buy those. If not then getting yours re-done locally will be a lot cheaper. And if you absolutely HAVE to have "genuine" German vinyl the buy it at World Upholstery and have your local shop use it, still cheaper by half.

agree.gif

...or from Autos International - both also will do full concours recovering for you - including the foam when needed, but they're both in SoCal & not cheap! You couls also buy their kits & have a local guy install for you.

You're liucky it's black interior cuz the black basketweave is generally available. IMHO for the moderate difference in price for German/Euro vinyl vs lesser quality Domestic so it lasts for you.

Or you could go non-OE with leather, although it was a rarely used custom order option on 914/4s - I only know of 2 guys back then who special ordered their 73 914-2.0's with leather & #98/99 paint code Porsche colors more to their liking.

AI -
http://autosintl.net/
http://autosintl.net/trp914.htm
^ use drop down menu for other materials & kits pricing

WU -
http://worlduph.com/
http://worlduph.com/porsche/914_916/

popcorn[1].gif
Tom_T
QUOTE(flash914 @ Jan 16 2013, 10:57 AM) *

On in the left picture looks loose or the foam is breaking down. That is one thing about doing it yourself you get to fix all the little problems, add seat heaters or more support. Gordon

agree.gif

Click to view attachment

IMHO this is not worth the money asked for a not perfect recovering.

Good luck Bill! beerchug.gif
billh1963
It's a black interior...so should be easy to find material
reharvey
I just finished reupholstering the bolsters this morning. You can do this if you have some experience at it.
billh1963
QUOTE(reharvey @ Jan 16 2013, 02:27 PM) *

I just finished reupholstering the bolsters this morning. You can do this if you have some experience at it.

I don't have any experience doing that..and not sure I want to gain that experience either! blink.gif
SUNAB914
lol-2.gif
rfuerst911sc
They claim to be 914 experts and then there is this- " they are sold "as is" and are not returnable. We try our best to examine them carefully but with the large number we list, cannot always get it right. "..........WTF ??? I've been a victim of them " not getting it right " buyer beware !!!!!
jsayre914
I took mine to the local auto glass/ apolstry shop, they did it exactly like the original, very nice job for half of what they cost.
carr914
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ Jan 16 2013, 06:23 PM) *

They claim to be 914 experts and then there is this- " they are sold "as is" and are not returnable. We try our best to examine them carefully but with the large number we list, cannot always get it right. "..........WTF ??? I've been a victim of them " not getting it right " buyer beware !!!!!

Rick, my Ex-Wife is a Judge in the Atlanta Area, so if I can figure a way for you to sue George & wind up in her Courtroom, I'll tell her George is my long lost brother & you'll win in a Landslide dry.gif
Eric_Shea
FDLFBFG
carr914
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Jan 16 2013, 08:11 PM) *

FDLFBFG

WTF Over Rover?
Eric_Shea
Friends don't...
dlkawashima
... let friends ... confused24.gif

Basic Food Group?
dlkawashima
QUOTE(dlkawashima @ Jan 16 2013, 07:20 PM) *

... let friends ... confused24.gif

Basic Food Group?

Oh wait, I get it.

Buy from ...
Eric_Shea
blink.gif
mepstein
QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 16 2013, 01:44 PM) *

I need to recover the seats in the green car to bring the interior up to the standrads of the new carpet kit and new paint. I could buy the kit to redo them (and take forever to do the work and risk screwing up) or just buy seats already done. Has anyone bought these seats?

Ebay ad for seats

If you buy those seats I bet Scotty will put the rust back into your car.
Chris H.
The AA kit itself is pretty nice. You could buy that and have someone install it for you. It's not hard though...I even did it...so... the bar is very low. biggrin.gif
billh1963
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 16 2013, 10:54 PM) *

QUOTE(billh1963 @ Jan 16 2013, 01:44 PM) *

Ebay ad for seats

If you buy those seats I bet Scotty will put the rust back into your car.

Actually, Scott and I agree that there are some things that are better from AA than other sources. He just doesn't advertise that belief on this board! smile.gif

BTW: I just bought a nice pair of seats from a board member...problem solved!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.