Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Removing aluminum trim
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
john_g
I need to remove the aluminum trim around the windshield and the back of the sail so that I can restore them (they were painted by the PO). I'm worried about bending it, as it is very fragile. On the front I started with trying to gently pry one of the lower corner clips off, but I couldn't do it w/o bending it. On the back, I removed the screws from the top of the side trim, but there seems to be something holding the bottom of the trim on, yet I can't see what. Anyone who's done this want to chime in with some advice, please?
dlee6204
For the back trim, there is a small nut up under the fender that needs to be removed/loosened.
dlee6204
This might help...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=199312&hl=
Jgilliam914
Do you have a 8" drywall blade aka knife? It easily slid under the chrome windshield trim and gently released from the frame. I am thinking a smaller and or larger will work as good? It gave plenty of support without bending it all to hell. The sail trim was easily removed with the screw near the top and the nut within the fender. Good luck.
Porsche930dude
for the windshield you dont need to start with the connector pieces you cant pry it away from the glass you need to pull out the body side while keeping the glass side as tight as possible also keep pressure on it twords the body side. if you look at pictures of how the clips work and the trim shape it will help you know how to remove it. for the back sail trim there should be a nut underneeth inside the fender. if its too rusted up you should be able to slide them back while keeping the base flat. there is just a square piece of steel that holds the lips of the trim
Jeffs9146
I had some luck with a razor blade up against the glass and sliding it in between the chrome trim and the glass at the location of the clips! I use a small piece of wood and a tap of a small hammer to push the razor into the clip and cuts it off releasing the chrome. You have to get all of them!
jimkelly
i can tell you that there is a tool for the windshield trim and there are about 19 clips.

tool
http://shop.914rubber.com/Windshield-chrom...4C.qscstrfrnt06

john_g
Great! I'm gonna order the tool. How do I determine the location of the clips for the front trim? confused24.gif
Jeffs9146
Look at the photo above they are marked by the lines drawn around the window! beerchug.gif
Dasnowman
My sail trim was a beotch the nut was really rusted to the plate bolt I ended up sliding it out but it got bent to crap.

For the front windshield I manage to pop of the corner and slide the trim a little then it just popped out off the tabs and did that for the rest of it...

The windshield trim still looks really good but not a fan of chrome on most cars so just getting the black windshield rubber from 914rubber for $20-$25 instead.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.