Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Refurbish hydraulic lifters with new springs?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
AE354803
I have a webcam hydraulic cam and lifters in my 2.0 type IV, I am going to refurbish the lifters and figured I would replace the internals of the lifters while I was in there.

The purpose would be to squeeze more life out of the lifters before I have to crack the case open (at which point in time I will replace the cam and lifters with solid versions). I will replace only the springs and keep the two pieces of the body and the original ball check valve.

Does anyone have any advice on this? I am going to clean up the old lifters regardless since I suspect they are not filling correctly due to valvetrain noise, however I'm not sure that replacing the internals would be appropriate? It should avoid the issue with having the lifter surfaces and cam break in together by keeping the original surfaces.

I've also considered the possibility of keeping only the part of the original lifter that mates with the cam and replacing the internals and the other part of the body. However I believe due to the mating tolerances in the manufacturing of lifters that this might be a bad move.

Thanks for any help.

rjames
If this is all based on valve train noise, have you adjusted the lifters to spec?

I've got hydro lifters in mine and they can be noisy for several minutes if the engine hasn't been run for a while. Different oil weights can affect how long it takes for them to 'pump up', or so I've been told.

AE354803
QUOTE(rjames @ Jan 16 2013, 04:05 PM) *

If this is all based on valve train noise, have you adjusted the lifters to spec?

I've got hydro lifters in mine and they can be noisy for several minutes if the engine hasn't been run for a while. Different oil weights can affect how long it takes for them to 'pump up', or so I've been told.

I've adjusted them to spec, and experimented with different amounts of turns in. Currently at 2 turns in.

The noise is there regardless of temperature and how long the engine has been running. Goes away above 3000 rpm though no matter what temperature the oil is.
Tom
I think you already know this, but just to be sure, keep each lifter identified as to which place it goes.
Tom
AE354803
QUOTE(Tom @ Jan 16 2013, 05:20 PM) *

I think you already know this, but just to be sure, keep each lifter identified as to which place it goes.
Tom

Yeah, I'll be keeping track closely.

Any input on my proposed spring replacement plan?
messix
my under standing is that the spring in the lifter is only there to give "some" preload to the lifter and that hydraulic pressure is was is the important feature in the operation of the lifter.

think of it this way... the spring rate in the lifter is less than the valve spring rate ....

most important is the clearances of the internals of the lifter to not allow excessive bleed off under pressure while the engine is running.

if they make noise at idle with the engine warmed up or hot then they are worn out.

if they make noise when the engine is cold or after not running for and extended period of time they are most likely gummed up and sticking in the collapsed state.
messix
where have you found a source for the internal parts of the lifters.

AE354803
QUOTE(messix @ Jan 16 2013, 06:00 PM) *

Just going to use some new lifters for their guts.
phatnine11
QUOTE(AE354803 @ Jan 16 2013, 07:10 PM) *

why not just use the new lifters?
AE354803
QUOTE(phatnine11 @ Jan 16 2013, 07:25 PM) *

QUOTE(AE354803 @ Jan 16 2013, 07:10 PM) *

why not just use the new lifters?

I've been told new lifters on a used cam will self destruct in this engine. It seemed to be the consensus at least.

I would prefer to do use the new ones though.
mepstein
So why not go new on the lifters and cam?
AE354803
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jan 16 2013, 07:42 PM) *

So why not go new on the lifters and cam?

I plan to, but don't have the time for a full engine rebuild right now. I just want to mend the current issue until later this year
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.