Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: found another one
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
advtracing
been a long time between drinks , haven't be here for quite awhile as have been building a couple of 911's . but yet another 914 has come my way ...so why not buy another.

lhd ex usa , black plate tells me it was reg. in 1980 , been sitting in a barn for 20 years .
phillstek
QUOTE(advtracing @ Jan 17 2013, 05:44 PM) *

been a long time between drinks , haven't be here for quite awhile as have been building a couple of 911's . but yet another 914 has come my way ...so why not buy another.

lhd ex usa , black plate tells me it was reg. in 1980 , been sitting in a barn for 20 years .

Looks pretty sweet eh bro biggrin.gif How much was that in Kiwi?
porschefile2010
Nice job. Where was the barn? These things just seem to keep coming out of the woodwork.
Your steering wheel looks to be the same after market job as my 75. A French Formuling. Plus would seem to be that you get quicker response at speed and room for your knees and the negative that you can't see the speedo.
Welcome anyway. If you need any parts I have a few having just put a new 2.0 in mine. We should catch up sometime.
ArtechnikA
Interesting.
The front and rear lenses are easy to change, of course, and I thought only US cars got the 'PORSCHE' lettering on the grille.
What's interesting in no side markers.
Bound to be a story there...

Nice find !
advtracing
QUOTE(porschefile2010 @ Jan 17 2013, 09:13 PM) *

Nice job. Where was the barn? These things just seem to keep coming out of the woodwork.
Your steering wheel looks to be the same after market job as my 75. A French Formuling. Plus would seem to be that you get quicker response at speed and room for your knees and the negative that you can't see the speedo.
Welcome anyway. If you need any parts I have a few having just put a new 2.0 in mine. We should catch up sometime.

Hiya , by chance do you have the 914 that motorworks is building the engine for at the moment ?
Anyway i run early911nz down here for 911,912 and 914s , so if you haven,t seen us online down here look me up
Talk soon
jdlmodelt
QUOTE(advtracing @ Jan 17 2013, 12:57 PM) *

QUOTE(porschefile2010 @ Jan 17 2013, 09:13 PM) *

Hiya , by chance do you have the 914 that motorworks is building the engine for at the moment ?
Anyway i run early911nz down here for 911,912 and 914s , so if you haven,t seen us online down here look me up
Talk soon

Do the rugs on the garage floor keep your teener cozy at night? LOL
advtracing
Ok just back from a 5am run 700kms sth to sort the pick up of the car . Heres what we know so far
Car was imported and rego innew zealand in 1980 , the seller (in his 80,s ) belived the car was imported from the cayman islands ?
Last ran 1991 and has been parked since

Vin 4722902894

Will advise more when known

porschefile2010
G'day - Yep Jamie has put some new AA pots and pistons on the second engine I got down from CA. Staying with the FI. The second engine was just 200 numbers off the original.
Just thinking. You should grab my old shortblock and build a 2.3 for that car and give it some serious wick! Needs another head and carbs. It was really torquey but lacked top end power with the old FI.
advtracing
QUOTE(porschefile2010 @ Jan 19 2013, 03:45 PM) *

G'day - Yep Jamie has put some new AA pots and pistons on the second engine I got down from CA. Staying with the FI. The second engine was just 200 numbers off the original.
Just thinking. You should grab my old shortblock and build a 2.3 for that car and give it some serious wick! Needs another head and carbs. It was really torquey but lacked top end power with the old FI.

Ok , i gave jamie my card to pass on so i could get to meet you when i was in 2 weeks ago getting warrents on the 911,s . This car is running webers and what else i,m yet to find out. I will have the car on the nth shore by next weekend .
I emailed brendon to get a overview of what we should build , so sure discusson will start this week
a914622
Has that been converted to 5 lug? Nice find. I would have got the lathe to!

congrads

jcl
advtracing
QUOTE(a914622 @ Jan 19 2013, 05:20 PM) *

Has that been converted to 5 lug? Nice find. I would have got the lathe to!

congrads

jcl

After market 4 lug wheels . There was a model a in the barn as well
advtracing
Guys just a quick question , looked at 50 plus photos of 72 dashes online to figure out this switch . What is this for .... note car is in storage until thursday so can,t check the wiring ,
can ,t find this on another photos Click to view attachment
Andyrew
Its aftermarket, so your guess is as good as anyone's. Most likely starter IMHO..
advtracing
Ok how do we tell if this is a euro car or usa car
The paint tag is gone , has euro rear lights and lenses. Speedo is in miles , car is actually from barbados...
What else is a tell
Mike Bellis
If it has front side marker lights it's Amerikan. If not it's Euro. Look in the fender for weld marks...

Switch could be anything. Trunk pop? starter? machine guns?
poorsche914
QUOTE(advtracing @ Jan 22 2013, 11:40 PM) *
Ok how do we tell if this is a euro car or usa car
The paint tag is gone , has euro rear lights and lenses. Speedo is in miles , car is actually from barbados...
What else is a tell

Is there a VIN tag on the A pillar?

driving.gif
rnellums
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 23 2013, 12:01 AM) *

If it has front side marker lights it's Amerikan. If not it's Euro. Look in the fender for weld marks...

Switch could be anything. Trunk pop? starter? machine guns?

The switch in that spot in my car runs the ejector seat...
advtracing
ok ,usa car as there was just a sign of cutouts in the fender but sealed up very well .

so far found its from Barbados , has fibreglass front bumper , race mark steering wheel with solid hub , engine is oilly and crappy on top but mint below ( someone rebuilt it and there was a failure ? ) weber 46idas , monza exhaust , hell hole good , very early pirellis all round . 2 mouse nests ar15.gif front trunk floor cut out with holes from aftermarket AC .

will change the plugs , dist, rotor , battery etc... and see if it will turn over this weekend
porschefile2010
Is the car warrantable when you get it running or do you have to go through the VIN inspection process again? Can't wait to see it.
advtracing
QUOTE(porschefile2010 @ Jan 25 2013, 02:53 PM) *

Is the car warrantable when you get it running or do you have to go through the VIN inspection process again? Can't wait to see it.

i had a long talk with ltnz yesterday . if i show inv for purchase , photos of the original rego sticker and wof sticker and number plate , it can be re rego'd after a std warr.

which is a lot better than my last 914 which was imported and never rego'd . that has ended up a race car
advtracing
Very carefully added a new battery and touch test the electrics , 90 percent work . Fuel pump even ran. So one step more and touch turn over .....it just turned over great so thats 80 percent less issues .
Solid floor , solid car . Better than expected
advtracing
Well shes a long road to getting on to another project ..... Due to ...lets say a change to single status .... I haven't been able to start this . been busy saving my other cars from the auction block. So in the next month i should be stripping the 914 and getting into the over due work.
Hopefully it can match my other builds
porschefile2010
Nice. That 6 would work a treat in the 914 too!!
advtracing
QUOTE(porschefile2010 @ Aug 26 2013, 08:52 PM) *

Nice. That 6 would work a treat in the 914 too!!

well thats going to be the question , if the 914 is a bit gone to stay a 4 then i may do a GT . i have all the running gear from a 70 / 72 / 73 and 79 911 plus a container of 911 parts . so maybe it needs to be a GT and build a engine to suit
advtracing
So finally in a new house and ready to go , i managed to get a pair of new heads and clutch off the past owner ( found them in the barn ) and the first ownership papers showing that the car did come from barbados ...

The engine is to be stripped and checked and then we will decide weither to rebuild or replace . as it has been sitting i will rebuild the brakes with parts from eric , replace the fuel lines , i need to do a front pan fix as it has a ac cut out . so i need a pan peice from resto or a part off another car ( what would you do ) , replace the master cylinder , and rats have chewed the wiring behind the fuel tank in the dash so fix or get a secound hand loom for that section.?

What else should be done on these as standard after long sitting times ?
advtracing
News year day recovery , drop out the engine
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.