Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: European tail lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JawjaPorsche
One of my tail lights has some cracks and I am thinking about getting some new ones. I noticed that Porsche installed European tail lights on their European market cars. I kinda like the amber/red look but would like some opinions and advice before making a decision.
scotty b
it's just a personal preference. Your only real shot is a set of aftermarkets that AA makes. The fit on them is not the best, but it's easier and cheaper than finding a NOS set will be
Chris H.
What's bad about the fit Scotty? I'm about to buy some myself...
pcar916
I like mine. In Europe the front buckets were different from the USA versions with two bulbs (in two compartments) under the two-color lenses.

I've heard, but not confirmed, that the USA sixes with Euro-lenses had the same single bulb/single compartment buckets as the fours.

beerchug.gif
Grelber
I switched to the European ones because I thought it looked better on a Marathon Blue car.
Mike Bellis
On the AA lenses, the curve doesn't always match and the lens sits proud.
Mike Bellis
Edit. Double post.
scotty b
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 17 2013, 08:04 AM) *

On the AA lenses, the curve doesn't always match and the lens sits proud.

agree.gif there were several complaints about this when the group buy went down, and I have seen 3 myself that were "overly " curved at the edges. One solution
I think Joe Sayre tried was to let it sit in the sun on a really hot day and slowly pull the curve in. Not sure if it worked for anyone or not confused24.gif
Cupomeat
I have always wished for a euro colored lense WITH the side marker lens built in. Perhaps I should do that myself.

Which brings me to another point, which is, the euro tail lights are not technically legal without the side marker lense/reflector that you get with the US lens.

I can't imagine anyone would ever care, as many cars have the yellow turn signal these days, but just FYI.
rfuerst911sc
I purchased a set of rear euro lenses from AA, the passenger side fit good the drivers did not. Like Scotty said the curvature is not right. But hey 50 % right for AA is pretty good.
Chris H.
Got it. Thank you. Probably worth the risk given the cost of NOS.

mr914
What's a good price for good used euro taillights?

Ran a cross a pair on a buddy's shelf. Covered in dust but no scratches...
JawjaPorsche
QUOTE(mr914 @ Jan 17 2013, 04:53 PM) *

What's a good price for good used euro taillights?

Ran a cross a pair on a buddy's shelf. Covered in dust but no scratches...

New fake ones are $200.
championgt1
QUOTE(Cupomeat @ Jan 17 2013, 08:35 AM) *

I have always wished for a euro colored lense WITH the side marker lens built in. Perhaps I should do that myself.

Which brings me to another point, which is, the euro tail lights are not technically legal without the side marker lense/reflector that you get with the US lens.

I can't imagine anyone would ever care, as many cars have the yellow turn signal these days, but just FYI.

Rhodyguy got pulled over for that exact reason.
jsayre914
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 17 2013, 11:29 AM) *

I think Joe Sayre tried was to let it sit in the sun ....

Great. Now everbody knows my real name

dry.gif
scotty b
QUOTE(jsayre914 @ Jan 17 2013, 03:07 PM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 17 2013, 11:29 AM) *

I think Joe Sayre tried was to let it sit in the sun ....

Great. Now everbody knows my real name

dry.gif

I wasn't talking aboot you mellow.gif
mhuber45
I have a set of hella euros in great shape that i can be convinced to part with...
SLITS
I've had a set of re-pops on my car since the buy went down.

I did the "sit in the sun" thing and slowly tightened the knobs over a period of time. While the fit was never "OE", it is acceptable for a barbarian/casob like me.

$140 vs $800 was a no brainer!

Oh, I do keep a set of USA and Euro Hellas just in case someone pitches a bitch.
JawjaPorsche
I pulled the trigger and ordered a set from AutoAtlanta. I put them on the car today and it really makes the teener look great!
RickS
Click to view attachment

In the Evergreen state it is illegal per RCW blah blah to have amber tail lights (no matter if the red ones were on at the same time and was pulled over for them. So I used my 10 cent fix. took a piece of tin foil and made a reflector/guard around the outboard bulbs so that they don't shine through the rear lense and only show as side markers. Easy fix. took 5 mins and is undetectable from the outside. Or if you want to be classy use some tin to create simulated 'real' ones.
Mike Bellis
One evening, at dusk, lights on, I was driving my 914 with Euro lights on the freeway. I was only doing 65mph (this time). A speeding ricer Honda passed me, just as he did, he turned off his rear amber lamps. BTW, Honda's never came stock with the ability to light them up. He must have had a switch rigged to it. He was doing 80+ as he passed me. 3 seconds later a highway patrol raced up next to me, bird dogged me and then sped off.

That Fuching Honda guy tried to fool the cop into thinking I was the one speeding. bs.gif I guess the guy thought the cop would not know the difference between a Honda and a NARP.

I have never been stopped for the amber lit up. I think the cops around here have better things to do.
bluhun
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ Jan 21 2013, 10:06 PM) *

One evening, at dusk, lights on, I was driving my 914 with Euro lights on the freeway. I was only doing 65mph (this time). A speeding ricer Honda passed me, just as he did, he turned off his rear amber lamps. BTW, Honda's never came stock with the ability to light them up. He must have had a switch rigged to it. He was doing 80+ as he passed me. 3 seconds later a highway patrol raced up next to me, bird dogged me and then sped off.

That Fuching Honda guy tried to fool the cop into thinking I was the one speeding. bs.gif I guess the guy thought the cop would not know the difference between a Honda and a NARP.

I have never been stopped for the amber lit up. I think the cops around here have better things to do.

I was stopped several years ago in San Francisco for having the amber rear running lights. My solution was to just remove the outboard bulbs, but RickS seems to have found a reasonable solution.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.