Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Foaming oil problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
2.0 good running motor w/ carbs
I drive 60 miles every day and change the oil every 3k miles. Right now it has 2k since the last oil and filter change. Yesterday I checked the oil and discovered condensation water in the oil neck and some whitish foam. Nothing on the stick. Also found foam residue in the CB oil vent tank (hoses from the heads dumping through the tank back into the filler neck)

Search here didn't find any answers. On Samba several threads all saying not to worry. Consensus was the filler neck and upper vent tank never get hot and moisture accumulates.

Should I change the oil more often in the winter? What is foaming the oil? I've always used VR-1 20-50 oil and Bosch filter.
SirAndy
Moisture boiling out of the oil. I get that a lot on my car too since it's parked outside and moisture will accumulate.
This may also indicate a leaking gasket on the oil filler or cap.

As long as you drive it enough that the engine fully warms up when you drive it, you should be OK with your current oil-change schedule.

I simply check for foam once a week and wipe it off my filler neck. You do *not* want this stuff to get back into the oil.
driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.