Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 transmissions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TomR
I'm toying with the idea of converting my '73 914-4 to a six. I use it for weekend driving, & drivers-Ed events. Was thinking of putting a big 6 in; something like a 3.6L. Has anyone ever tried mating a G50 transmission with a 914? Are there any kits out there? If so what's the price?
Thamks
Nine_14
Ready made G50 trans for the 914 is avaiable ..... think i saw it at the aa pages
Needs WEVO Kit too.
Kontact SirAndy here in the forum. He has a 3.6 conversion, but i don't know which tranny he used.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Nine_14 @ Jan 17 2013, 10:04 AM) *
He has a 3.6 conversion, but i don't know which tranny he used.

Bone stock 901, for daily driving will do just fine. It's been 6 years with no issues.
However, you *do* need to upgrade your clutch. I went with a KEP Stage II.

I'm going to switch to a build up 915 this year since i'm planning to get back into much more AX and DE stuff.
driving.gif
Drums66
,,,,,Maybe Sean=V8 will sound off.....I lost my hair after a ride in his
V-8 914 idea.gif

bye1.gif
ConeDodger
Paul Sayegh uses a 915 that has been regeared. I think he can go to 52 in first gear...

I actually do know a guy who is doing it. But he has been at that project for years. He owns a Carrera GT and something like 9? other Porsches so he has the funds...
Dr Evil
901, 915 and 930 in that order of goodness, price and ease of installation.
mittelmotor
QUOTE(Drums66 @ Jan 17 2013, 11:06 AM) *

V-8 914 idea.gif

bye1.gif

piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif
Cupomeat
QUOTE(mittelmotor @ Jan 18 2013, 12:41 AM) *

QUOTE(Drums66 @ Jan 17 2013, 11:06 AM) *

V-8 914 idea.gif

bye1.gif

piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif piratenanner.gif

Boy, just looking at the picture, I can hear that poor 901 crying from the abuse it is GOING to take...
timothy_nd28
someone remind me how much hp a 901 can handle?
Black22
QUOTE(timothy_nd28 @ Jan 18 2013, 06:37 AM) *

someone remind me how much hp a 901 can handle?

IIRC 300hp?
Dr Evil
The numbers thrown around for the 901 are arbitrary. HP is the least of your concerns. It is the torque that kills the boxes as it is instantaneous force applied to the parts in the box. Other factors to consider are: weight of car and occupants, width and diameter of tires, health of transmission, gearing of transmission.
pcar916
At some point during the last 15 years I saw a chart... can't remember where, but like Evil says, the horsepower and torque values are different for each gear. I finally broke a pinion gear on mine with a 3.6L 993 engine after 11 years, but I was pouring heavy torque into the box, and the RPM was high at the time.

I go with synthetic hypoid because I concentrate my attention on the R&P and bearing wear. That's controversial for the many who say nothing but dino oil will ever touch their boxes. That works great for normal street cars, but I've never had a synchro or bearing failure so I'll keep it and shift just a touch slower, after matching the RPM's as best I can, to respect the synchro's, sliders, and spiders.

We've discussed this 901 vs 915 in several threads along the way with subjects that range from specific comparison threads to transaxle pumps. Those threads are usually in the Paddock. The consensus seems to be that the 915 is stronger, but not excessively so. It takes a different clutch/flywheel and adapting the shifter system at minimum. Unless you want to run it inverted, you have to flip the R&P configuration as well. Still... it's a heck of a cool project. beerchug.gif
Madswede
evilgrin.gif Click to view attachment
Gint
That looks gooood Jon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.