Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: A Pointless Poll
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
timothy_nd28
This means nothing, just wanted to see what others thought.
balljoint
rolleyes.gif

About you?
SLKWrx
And here, I thought this was going to be a debate about distributors...
914itis
I voted to leave it alone as, not only that the site is fine , but we have to also remember that, redesign will be time consuming for Andy. He is great enough to keep is going as he is not making a dime out of it. Any updates or changes should be his decision.

We appreciate you Andy.
Woody
Forum is great as it is. If you don't like it you could try the club site. poke.gif huh.gif

popcorn[1].gif

LotusJoe
I don't know what this means confused24.gif

"ILBT, and update as well"
HarveyH
Not being a geek I have no idea how much work would be involved in migrating the site and all of it's historical information to a new platform but based on the discussions in the other thread I'm pretty sure it would be a really major undertaking. While a new updated platform might be able to supply some whiz-bang stuff, the existing platform seems to fullfill all of the functionalities we really need.

On top of this, Sir Andy and the Administrators provide these services to us on a gratis basis taking time from their families and sometimes their employment obligations.

Of course if at some future time this platform becomes untenable we should look at options available at that time, INCLUDING how to compensate the administrators for their time and expenses involved in a platform migration. From what little I know this would realistically require $$$$ from each of the members.

Sir Andy and the Administrators
This surely isn't said often enough:
"Thank you for your time and efforts on the site. Without your abilities and dedication this site would have long ago gone the way of so many other sites."

pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif

Harvey.
KELTY360
"In Andy We Trust"
Kirmizi
agree.gif
scotty b
please show this thread to your friend that made fun of this forum rolleyes.gif
timothy_nd28
QUOTE(scotty b @ Jan 18 2013, 02:23 PM) *

please show this thread to your friend that made fun of this forum rolleyes.gif

agree.gif
David J
It works. Leave it alone.

Even though it may seem like a thankless job, I'd like to say thanks to the Admins for all their time and effort, 914 World is a fabulous resource for teeners.
PanelBilly
Can we get some more options?
wndsnd
QUOTE(HarveyH @ Jan 18 2013, 03:15 PM) *

Not being a geek I have no idea how much work would be involved in migrating the site and all of it's historical information to a new platform but based on the discussions in the other thread I'm pretty sure it would be a really major undertaking. While a new updated platform might be able to supply some whiz-bang stuff, the existing platform seems to fullfill all of the functionalities we really need.

On top of this, Sir Andy and the Administrators provide these services to us on a gratis basis taking time from their families and sometimes their employment obligations.

Of course if at some future time this platform becomes untenable we should look at options available at that time, INCLUDING how to compensate the administrators for their time and expenses involved in a platform migration. From what little I know this would realistically require $$$$ from each of the members.

Sir Andy and the Administrators
This surely isn't said often enough:
"Thank you for your time and efforts on the site. Without your abilities and dedication this site would have long ago gone the way of so many other sites."

Yeah.......What he said.......

pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif pray.gif

Harvey.

Mike Bellis
I like it the way it is.

Most other forums (VW, Audi, etc) are updated and I find them difficult to navigate. This one is easy.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...

bulitt
Many forums start out free, and easy to use.
Then Pop up advertisers appear and you have to upgrade to some premium user to get rid of them.
Then you have to pay to advertise.
Then you get bombarded for "donations".
Then it gets upgraded and all the old threads get stored in some hard to access location.
Then the Admins take it all too seriously.

This is a wonderful forum, with an astonishing amount of info, great people, and the best Admins.

IT ain't Broke!

struckn
I thought this was "A POINTLESS POLL". I was going to say YES go Pointless with Pertronics?

WTF.gif
Katmanken
Many years ago I had the opportunity to work at a company that tried to innovate a PC that could run off of 1.44 MB floppies. For you young punks, a floppy was a small disk of magnetic tape that ran in a sleeve and could store a whopping 1.44 MB.

We actually designed a PC that could store the entire boot and operating system on the 1.44 MB floppy, and then we added a working version of Microsoft WORD on the SAME FLOPPY.

Imagine how small the core startup/operating system must be to fit on the floppy, and how small the core Microsoft WORD operating system must be. I had one in my office, and had over 50 WORD documents stored on the same floppy and could never fill it up.

Had a separate boot/fsystem/EXCEL floppy and never filled it up with my 50+ EXCEL documents.

Microsoft came in several years later bragging about their wonderful upgraded software and how they had ( and I quote} "Over a million lines of code...". And, a like number of lines of code in each of WORD and EXCEL. We wondered how much of the code was "fluffy crap" (pay me by the lines/ hours of code), how much was totally useless features that no one wanted, and how much was simply vestiges of canceled crappy code/feature writing.

That taught me that our code was "tight", and because there are so few lines to exploit, I bet you couldn't hack it.

So here we are, thirty years later and I bet the bloated operating systems/ WORD/ EXCELL each contain a BILLION lines of "crap", er I mean easily exploitable "improvements".

So tell me again how "old" this site code is, and why we need a bazillion lines of newer crappy, bloated, easy to hack code???

Yer not a hacker are you?? happy11.gif
euro911
Remember MS embedded a flight simulator program in Excel 97?
tracks914
If I really liked change....... I wouldn't still be driving a 1973 car. driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.