Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Vintage & Euro Plates
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jim_hoyland
No affiliation, but I have ordered replacement blue CA plates from them. Unfortunately, they stopped the CA plates recently. But any other state appears available.:

http://www.licenseplates.tv/usa-state-plat...+Off+All+Orders

You can customize any plate after clicking on the Buy-Now box
7TPorsh
There was a guy at the Pomona Swap meet last week making cali plates, black, blue...didn't inquire but they looked pretty good.

Maybe someone else saw too... I saw Bruce there at the meet!
Tom_T
For the California folks....

Cal DMV won't let you register with the repro plates & are cracking down on those making them.

However, you can do YOM plates (Year of Manufacture) plate reassignment of any "real" plates for a car, trailer, motorcycle & non-commercial truck up to 1969, & commercial plates up to 1972....but you have to find & buy the right plates in a full set (2 - except trailer & MC), with the correct year sticker on it, then go through the process. I'm in the beginning of that process now for our "new" 1960 Avion trailer, & will report back in a new topic when I'm through it.

There is also the new Cal DMV Legacy Plate program, which would apply to our 914 MYs 70-76, where DMV will be making vintage looking reflective plates in variuos styles where you can also pick a custom phrase/numbers like the other custom plates. They're doing pre-orders now & will start making them as soon as they get 5000 orders, or will refund/return your check if they don't get enough interest by 2015.

Details here...

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/legacyplates/index.htm

popcorn[1].gif

Here is another "custom plate" source that I've found out there, but have never used them myself - so exercise due caution...

http://cr8-one.com/

shades.gif

Tom_T
PS - I think toolguy on here (Dave) ordered a Euro-Repro for his silver 70 914-6 from someone in San Diego, so that may be another source too.
monkeyboy
QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jan 18 2013, 09:22 AM) *

There was a guy at the Pomona Swap meet last week making cali plates, black, blue...didn't inquire but they looked pretty good.

I had that guy "restore" my new plates into blue plates. He isn't cheap, but they came out beautiful.

Just don't tell the Highway Patrol shades.gif
Black22
QUOTE(monkeyboy @ Jan 18 2013, 12:42 PM) *

QUOTE(7TPorsh @ Jan 18 2013, 09:22 AM) *

I had that guy "restore" my new plates into blue plates. He isn't cheap, but they came out beautiful.

Just don't tell the Highway Patrol shades.gif

Too late...I'm on the phone with them now! lol-2.gif
913B
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jan 18 2013, 01:37 PM) *

For the California folks....

Cal DMV won't let you register with the repro plates & are cracking down on those making them.

However, you can do YOM plates (Year of Manufacture) plate reassignment of any "real" plates for a car, trailer, motorcycle & non-commercial truck up to 1969, & commercial plates up to 1972....but you have to find & buy the right plates in a full set (2 - except trailer & MC), with the correct year sticker on it, then go through the process. I'm in the beginning of that process now for our "new" 1960 Avion trailer, & will report back in a new topic when I'm through it.

There is also the new Cal DMV Legacy Plate program, which would apply to our 914 MYs 70-76, where DMV will be making vintage looking reflective plates in variuos styles where you can also pick a custom phrase/numbers like the other custom plates. They're doing pre-orders now & will start making them as soon as they get 5000 orders, or will refund/return your check if they don't get enough interest by 2015.

Details here...

http://www.dmv.ca.gov/legacyplates/index.htm

popcorn[1].gif

Here is another "custom plate" source that I've found out there, but have never used them myself - so exercise due caution...

http://cr8-one.com/

shades.gif

How does that plate re-assignment work in a nut shell, is it a pain in the ass. What do you mean it needs the correct year sticker on it. Maybe consider this option than the new plate special from the DMV ? I think that program will just give you a blue or black plate but not the vintage lettering, for example 3 # space then 3 letters. I think it will be just like the current 7 digits but on a blue/black plate. What do you all think ? biggrin.gif
7TPorsh
the program's plates are reflectorized. Major turn off. Like the idea of "restoring" my white plates. Heard they look blue afterwards. :-)
larryM
I get my Euro Plates from www.grtpl8s.com - Alex Cuppini is a nice guy & will walk ya thru the correctness issues via email

also check out germanplates.com

euro911
Cal DMV Legacy Plate program now requires 7,500 plates to be pre-ordered before they will decide to implement the program.
toolguy
There is a little trick to getting your current Calif plates in blue and yellow and being able to get past Johnny Law. . . . . If you have a current white plate, the number designation is not consistent with the older blue plates number sequences. . Cops are aware of that, especially Highway Patrol. . . However, if you have a current white 'personalized' vanity plate, they don't know when it was issued, so remaking it in blue will be work. . .

California sent "cease and desist" letters to all the aftermarket 'Novelty Plate' makers 3-4 years ago threatening legal action for counterfeiting Calif plates. . that's why those places on the Web now state "Except California' on their ads . . However, there 'may' be someone out there still making them. . enough said.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.